My 1 week with the Lumia 950

swanlee

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
My 950 was horribly bug ridden, I did a restore from my 920 config. After a day of bugs I did a factory reset and configured it from scratch and it has been working great with no issues. So don't restore a config from a previous phone and all should be good.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
In theory, a restore from a backup would be safe. But in practice, it seems to result in a less confident experience for me. If anything doesn't behave, I am stuck wondering if.......

The beauty of Microsofts' Eco system is it's hardly painful to build from scratch. Other than historical sms activity, I can get a pretty fast build done without using restore-from-backup.

And I'm thrilled with my 950XL. It's solid and stable. Just wish my sms history would populate and it would switch back to LTE faster, after dropping to 4G on occasion.

John Frey

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Update:my on going 950 incoming call problems. As suggested tried having people call me and then turned down the volume. However this did not fix the problem still could hear any background sound in my room like i was right next to it even if I was across the room. Tired hard reset and soft, turned off and on ATT HD voice, even when to the att repair centre and did a swap for another phone. Now this is were it gets odd after getting the new phone I tested it 5 times had someone call me.

1. Had some one call me when the phone was first done setting up- no call feedback
2. Had them call me after the phone app finished updating- no call feedback
3. after I resized the tile size to get 4 Columns and restarted the phone- no feedback
4. After all apps where downloaded and everything was set up the way I like it - No feedback
5. 4 hours later got a call from the same friend just to test it one last time- There was feedback

The only quick fix I can still find is when I get a call is to turn hold off and on this fixes the issue. (so frustrated that it had worked perfectly for so many calls but then just stopped even after getting a whole new device)

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
? Plug in aux and play music you were just listening to, it won't work. Have to start track over. Happens sometimes with Bluetooth as well like using lg tones or my nokia 360 speaker or in my car.

This happens to me with Audible audiobooks. Super annoying. When I'm on the go and listening to an audiobook, I often switch from headset to aux audio input to my trucks stereo and back. Not only do I have to physically go into the app to resume play the book rather than just hitting the button on my headset, but also the audible app hates it when you disconnect an audio cable, and it basically locks up for almost a full minute. I usually force quit it and restart the app.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
If they did that, they would have to charge $1500 due to higher manufacturing costs.

I think that a major exaggeration but the cost should be higher as will the quality.
Send these things overseas for 9 year olds in a factory to be able to build and you get what you get. Beyond that, MS doesn't yet have that market share from the sale of phones to be able to build flagships as other companies can, but the hardware is here. Besides, I don't think the intention is for these devices to keep the backs they came with anyway. I think these backs are temporary so you could purchase an replacement like the ones being sold by Mozo.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I haven't picked up a 950 yet but I'll share this. I have never, ever activated a Windows Phone without doing a hard reset first. New or used, always do a factory reset. I learned this with WinMo and later, Android.

What does this do on a brand new phone? I am just wondering..

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I think that a major exaggeration but the cost should be higher as will the quality.
Send these things overseas for 9 year olds in a factory to be able to build and you get what you get. Beyond that, MS doesn't yet have that market share from the sale of phones to be able to build flagships as other companies can, but the hardware is here. Besides, I don't think the intention is for these devices to keep the backs they came with anyway. I think these backs are temporary so you could purchase an replacement like the ones being sold by Mozo.

I think the assumption that somehow Americans would be better at mass assembling electronics to not be based on any actual, factual data. I'm a big fan of buying the work of American craftsman, and paying more in general for the work of an artisan over a robot or an amateur... but a bunch of minimum wage clock-punching American teenagers are not going to be able to glue pcboards into a plastic shell any better than some minimum wage clock-punching Asian teenager would.

If you truly want a hand-made phone assembled in the US by an artisan named Bob, you're going to pay a heck of a lot more than triple the price of an overseas factory.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I think the assumption that somehow Americans would be better at mass assembling electronics to not be based on any actual, factual data. I'm a big fan of buying the work of American craftsman, and paying more in general for the work of an artisan over a robot or an amateur... but a bunch of minimum wage clock-punching American teenagers are not going to be able to glue pcboards into a plastic shell any better than some minimum wage clock-punching Asian teenager would.

If you truly want a hand-made phone assembled in the US by an artisan named Bob, you're going to pay a heck of a lot more than triple the price of an overseas factory.
LOL. Artisan named Bob. haha.

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of having to spend more but this is how we ended up with Wal-marts dumping cheaply made garbage from around the world. The point is, quality costs money. Yes, get bang for your buck, but cheaply assembled products gets you threads like this one. If you want a better made product, you better put that product out of the reach of the lowest bidder.

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site

iPhones are built in China for pennies....

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
LOL. Artisan named Bob. haha.

Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of having to spend more but this is how we ended up with Wal-marts dumping cheaply made garbage from around the world. The point is, quality costs money. Yes, get bang for your buck, but cheaply assembled products gets you threads like this one. If you want a better made product, you better put that product out of the reach of the lowest bidder.

The point is just because a product is more expensive to produce in the US does not mean that it is of a higher quality. Quality costs money, but spending more money does not necessarily get you more quality. Sometimes, it's just a waste of money.

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hey Jaz, they're made in Vietnam, not China.

On that note, I've continued to have heating issues using and battery drain on mine after getting a replacement. Not as bad as the first one, but still not acceptable. I'm hoping a software update will fix it...and soon.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
iPhones cost around $200 for Apple to make and they of course sell them for $650 (or higher depending on the model and storage).
Show me how you know that? Your guestimate is higher than the "pennies" NadaAddict is talking about. So, either neither of you know or you are both wrong.

SkullyHB

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I've had a few of the symptoms that the OP had, but not as many

- The battery life is acceptable. Much better than my 1020. I can make it through a full day on a charge, although I usually put it on a charger when I'm at my desk anyways. My 1020 had to be plugged in every time I sat down somewhere, and then it just barely made it through the day.
- About once a day the lock screen informs me that my phone has restarted on its own
- Three times now I've had to restart the phone with the power & volume buttons because it's locked up. In all cases it's been idle when that happened.
- Odd issues with the Groove player over Bluetooth. Some random buffering (slightly more than my 1020). Also my car stereo keeps thinking it goes into 'pause' state, but the music keeps playing.
- Tapping on a text notification sends me to a 'resuming' screen.

Otherwise everything I've used seems fine. And so far I've had no issues with the camera app. I assume all of these issues can be fixed with an os update. I know there was a ton of testing but in reality the phone is only 2 weeks old, so there were bound to be other issues once the phone & os were released into the wild.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Show me how you know that? Your guestimate is higher than the "pennies" NadaAddict [url]http://forums.windowscentral.com/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png[/URL] is talking about. So, either neither of you know or you are both wrong.

a simple google/bing should turn up current cost of materials for an iphone.... now the costs have always been estimated based on bulk purchasing the individual parts since apple (well no one) will reveal the cost to build an iphone.... so the numbers can be higher or lower, but, since you seem to think that you know everything based on the stereo-typical comments you have made, i decided to give you ONE link to start.... it's not hard to find this info, so if you want to claim that someone is wrong, then research to PROVE them wrong. Don't just sit there and say everyone is wrong unless they can prove it to you. I am pretty sure you are capable of making your point without generalizations and stereotypes.

Estimated iPhone 6s build cost pegged at $211.50, iPhone 6s Plus at $236

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers