950XL Spec change, Gorilla Glass 3 now??

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Gorilla Glass 4 is supposed to be a hair stronger but nobody can tell the difference. Actually they say it's twice as tough.

GG4 is more resistant to drops, but sacrifices scratch resistance to do so. GG3 is more scratch resistant. Higher numbers don't always mean better. Personally I'd rather have the scratch resistance.

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
GG4 is more resistant to drops, but sacrifices scratch resistance to do so. GG3 is more scratch resistant. Higher numbers don't always mean better. Personally I'd rather have the scratch resistance.

lol im the other way. id much prefer drop resistance.. the scratch resistance between gs3 and gs4 wouldnt be enough to matter.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think we would both prefer screens without cracks or scratches. I by the way have a theory that metal cases more than plastic make the screens break because the plastic acts as a shock absorber.

feereless

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I think we would both prefer screens without cracks or scratches. I by the way have a theory that metal cases more than plastic make the screens break because the plastic acts as a shock absorber.

hahah there we go! also, metal bends and directly transfers the forces into the glass. hence why iphones shatter all the time

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
And why I think it is dumb to call plastic cheap or not premium. I don't want a case. I want a space age polymer to give my phone native protection. Science.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Dan at Windows Central said it's GG4 for the XL and GG3 for 950.
Do you think he took one apart and had the glass analyzed?

I don't. Dan was just parroting what he read or was told.

So is this a case of MS planning to use GG4 and never doing it but never telling everyone that never happened?

OR

is this a case of them having the specs on that very page correct when it said GG4 and then someone went in and changed the correct spec to an incorrect one saying its GG3?

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Well, it looks like they corrected their type. It now lists it as GG4 again in the specifications on the Microsoft Store website.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb