Car Charging using supplied usb cable.. requirements of the adapter?

GregCra

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi - want to be able to use the USB cord that was supplied with the phone in the car to charge it. To do this I have a gadget that plugs into the cigarette lighter in the car and presents a USB port. So I plug the fat end of the USB cable there and the thin end of the supplied USB cable into the phone. This does NOT charge the phone. I understand the cable is special, needs to support 3.1 etc - but what are the requirements of the thing that plugs into the cigarette lighter? Mine was providing 2.4 amps - but apparently it needs to do more...but what? thanks
Greg

Charles Hinkle

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
For my 950 in my car, I bought an adaptor off Amazon to go from micro usb to the new usb C connector. This way I can still charge other devices by removing the adaptor from the end of the cable instead on carrying around another cable. Also, quick charge works just fine using the adaptor.

GregCra

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Can you give me a link to the adapter you got as I hear it has to meet certain requirements and I want to make sure I get the right one.
thx
Greg

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I have an adapter that I used to charge my iPhone in my truck, and it does not work on my L950. I plug it in, and nothing happens. So I too am interested in what kind of adapter I need to charge this phone in my vehicle.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Recent "high wattage" (not quick-charge 2.0) chargers come in two flavors (with corresponding pin-outs) apple and non-apple. It's possible that the OP's charger is of "apple" variety. While previous phones might still be able to charge fine with it (at standard 500mA rates) perhaps the new usb 3.1 devices like the 950/950XL just won't want to do anything with it because of the "strange" pinout that is perhaps incompatible with type-c.

Likwidz

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Likwidz - have you used that one and know it really works with the 950? quick charge and all?

No, haven't used it. It was one of the first things that came up when I was browsing accessories for 950XL. I wish MSFT sold or recommended one

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site

I think that one would have the same issue that I alluded to in my previous post..the high amp port is of "apple" flavor and might (if my theory is correct) have issues charging the 950's.

if you are buying something for a 950, get a quick charge 2.0 compliant charger

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3316813

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a cheap (so cheap there were no specs listed it was merely wrapped in plastic) USB charger that I got in a pinch at the airport to charge my micro USB phone. After getting the 950 I plugged in the USB type C cable and it charges fine.

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Do a search for this on Amazon. This one had a hard wired charger and a USB port for the heavy duty cable it includes. It mentions the Lumia 950.

USB Type-C Car Charger,Tronsmart 36W 2 Ports Rapid Car Charger with Quick Charge 2.0 Technology.Attached USB Type C Cord for Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X (Not Compatible with Google Pixel)

Charles Hinkle

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
Even with the adaptors if you're having a slow charge, the output of the lighter socket will have to be high enough to realize the benefit of quick charge. One of my sockets is not able to supply the necessary amperage and charges slowly, the other is very fast in one of my cars.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OFFSET