Map apps on Lumia 950/950 XL

sloppy standard

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, I tried Preview build 10586 yet again on my Lumia 930, and immediately went to Store to stop HERE from updating, because once it updates it no longer works. So I have HERE Maps and Transit working side by side with Windows Maps, and I gotta say, HERE makes much more sense, at least here in Paris.
Windows Maps still is completely static, in that tapping on any POI does nothing, I may as well as being looking at a PDF of a detailed and inaccurate map of Paris.
Inaccurate, because the first thing I see near my house on Maps is that there's an "Air and Space Museum" smack in the middle of Pere Lachaise cemetery, lol! Somebody else here compared Windows Maps to the first iteration of Apple Maps, and that's pretty dead-on.
HERE Maps correctly does NOT show that museum

The next thing I did was pin a place just down the road from me, and used the Public Transit choice in Windows Maps to get there. They should either recommend the bus, which is direct and only two stops, or walking, which is 10 minutes.
Haha, they said to walk to the pinned location, take the metro one stop, take the metro BACK one stop (putting me back where I was to get on the metro!) and then walk back to the pinned location, taking 27 minutes in all. WTF???
HERE Transit correctly says to walk 2 minutes to the bus stop, catch the bus, get off, walk 2 minutes, putting it 6 minutes in total, which is about right.

Blashkyrk

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I would suggest not using your Lumia 950 as a GPS device, cus the Maps UI will burn into the display overtime.

To balance out our local AMOLED basher... ;-)
I have used both my Lumia 1020 (AMOLED) and my old Samsung Galaxy S2 (AMOLED) as GPS devices in my car without any form of burn in issues. I'm not saying that burn in cannot occur but I have not seen it on any of my devices that have had AMOLED displays. In fact I have not seen such a thing ever occur in real life. In old CRT's yes but not in AMOLED displays on phones or tablets.

Another thing though is that when using phones as GPS-devices they usually need to be constantly connected to a power source to not drain the battery completely. This creates heat. Keeping the screen on for perhaps several hours also creates heat. And on top of that running a GPS-software with background downloads will create even more heat. Heat is not something modern battery's like. I'm pretty sure I fried at least one battery in my old S2 this way.

MikeJezZ

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
To balance out our local AMOLED basher... ;-)
I have used both my Lumia 1020 (AMOLED) and my old Samsung Galaxy S2 (AMOLED) as GPS devices in my car without any form of burn in issues. I'm not saying that burn in cannot occur but I have not seen it on any of my devices that have had AMOLED displays. In fact I have not seen such a thing ever occur in real life. In old CRT's yes but not in AMOLED displays on phones or tablets.

Another thing though is that when using phones as GPS-devices they usually need to be constantly connected to a power source to not drain the battery completely. This creates heat. Keeping the screen on for perhaps several hours also creates heat. And on top of that running a GPS-software with background downloads will create even more heat. Heat is not something modern battery's like. I'm pretty sure I fried at least one battery in my old S2 this way.

Yeah, I'm kinda embarrased that I have become that, I do actually realise that lol :p

Do you have brightness on low? Do you ever play on your phone or have any static images on it?

Blashkyrk

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'm kinda embarrased that I have become that, I do actually realise that lol :p

Do you have brightness on low? Do you ever play on your phone or have any static images on it?

lol at least you take it like a man :D
Don't play much but use it as an GPS quite often, at least on my 1020. Just got my 950 like two hours ago so that one is still a virgin ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss