How can I transfer text messages from WP7 to WP8?

roadcoyote

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Transfer Text Messages from WP7 to WP8

I just purchased a new Nokia Lumia Icon as an upgrade for my very well used HTC Trophy. I was able to use the 'Transfer My Data' app to move my contacts over, but the app was only able to copy my oldest 500 text messages over.

Is there any other way to transfer all text messages over, or for the 'Transfer My Data' app to transfer the newest 500 rather than the oldest 500? I'm on Verizon if that makes any difference.

Thank you.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Transfer Text Messages from WP7 to WP8

The last time I tried to do this it could not retrieve my text messages at all. Are you really starting from a Trophy and going to an Icon? If its possible now that would be fantastic.

roadcoyote

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site

Yeah, I really upgraded from a Trophy. Took a couple of tries to get the Bluetooth connection to work, but it migrated all of my contacts and 500 of my text messages. Was actually pretty slick, but seemed odd that it only supported 500 text messages.

On the plus side, the Icon is such a huge upgrade that I'm convinced it's powered by magic.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site

I will give it a shot this evening. I'll let you know if I hit the 500 text limit or find a way around it.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So I was able to connect and retrieve texts from my Trophy. However I ran into two limitations -

1) It is only able to retrieve my incoming texts, I can find no way to retrieve my outgoing texts making imported conversations entirely one sided.
2) It only retrieves the first 500 messages.

I can see no way around the first point. On the second point I can see one tedious method of handling it. Retrieve the first 500 texts, then delete them off the phone. If you run it again, you should get an additional 500 texts.

This is unfortunately only a half solution however unless someone can figure out how to solve the first problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon