One dock for the Surface/Surface Book/Windows phone

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Ideally we could use the same dock for the computer and the phone. Is this possible?
Technically yes, but they haven't come out with it. A huge missed opportunity IMO. It could have moved quite a few more 950/950XL units if all Surface Pro dock owners could just plug in their phone and use all hardware already hooked up to that dock.

BTW, I think you have just invented the product name: OneDock. Very MS. :)

Rvacha

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
What I'd love to see is a battery powered portable monitor - with no processor in it, just a display and battery - that had a phone dock built into it. One monitor + one USB C cable + continuum phone would be very interesting to me

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't have the new Surface dock yet. It has some USB C ports, correct? I'm getting nothing except WP companion when I plug my XL into my surface pro 2&3 docks.

My hope is that the dock they sell already will work.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, there's really no technical reason why they can't do a unified dock in the future, but for now there's a few core differences:

1) Surface Dock has MANY more port options including audio out and Ethernet, additional USB, and can power 2 4K monitors. It is both sized and weighted to suit a desktop environment.

2) Lumia Dock is smaller and while weighted, it's still designed for both mobile and desktop usage. Since it connects via USB-C and Surface doesn't yet have USB-C, it made little sense to use the same one for now.

That said, tomorrow I'll have both docks in my possession, so I'll be happy to test a bit and see if it's possible to interact with them.

kwright62

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
maybe the surface phone will have that magnetic connector? :D
I hope so. The dock is going to live on my desk. The current available hardware requires two docks. I sell Microsoft (we all do, correct) and a single dock would be a home run.

Add the ability to have multiple desktops from multiple machines (phone and surface).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven