ATT 950 or Unlocked 950?

uw

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
This is more for those in the US, but I guess anyone can chime in. I bought an unlocked 950, but I'm thinking about returning it and getting an ATT version. I miss having VVM and potentially wifi calling. Do you guys think it's worth the extra to get those features? For me it's a $100 difference because I was able to get a 10% student/faculty discount.

I guess I could just purchase a VVM app. Anyone try one of those yet?

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Hope you're an ATT customer because if you aren't.. good luck getting them to unlock it. I spent two frustrating days before I returned for refund. Love the MS unlocked! Don't know what to think of dual SIM yet.. This is first phone I've ever owned with this feature. I have my TMob unltd data as SIM1 and $30 no data GoPhone ATT prepaid as SIM2. Spent a bit of time setting up the "Smart Dual SIM" in Extras & Info.. we'll see how it goes.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
PS.. I think VVM is a function of the SIM? It is working on my Microsoft Lumia 950, but won't do WiFi calling as this is a feature TMobile burns into the phone hardware.

rjl2001

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I did the same thing, and so far am happy with my decision. It bugged me to have to pay more for the ATT version, but oh well. The MS Store I went to did offer the same educational discount for the ATT version as they did for the unlocked version. Had VVM within minutes of turning on the ATT model, so I'm happy.

However, for some reason it seems like this ATT model gets hotter than the unlocked. Never noticed heat with the unlocked onen and I was looking for it, the ATT feels warm in my pocket whenever I grab it from charging and walk out the door.

ACF1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I did the same thing, and so far am happy with my decision. It bugged me to have to pay more for the ATT version, but oh well. The MS Store I went to did offer the same educational discount for the ATT version as they did for the unlocked version. Had VVM within minutes of turning on the ATT model, so I'm happy.

However, for some reason it seems like this ATT model gets hotter than the unlocked. Never noticed heat with the unlocked onen and I was looking for it, the ATT feels warm in my pocket whenever I grab it from charging and walk out the door.

Just a wild guess, maybe your unlocked version was not getting LTE (only 4G) and LTE may cause the phone to heat up.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
So just to be clear the unlocked versions don't have Visual Voice Mail? Why? Does this apply to the XL as well? That's a bit of a bummer actually.

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I was just reading the other thread and it seems the problem is only with the dual sim versions (which is what you get when you buy the unlocked versions).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon