Got the $40 640, what do I need to know as a new user?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Upgrade to WP10 Build 10586 before you go to the trouble of setting it up. Log in with an MS account, register for Windows Insider, download that app, and sign up for the fast ring.

I just started using a 640 a few days ago, having downgraded substantially from the flagship models. I have not been much of a fan of WP10, but I thought what the heck. I actually like it quite a bit on this phone.

By reading the Visual Voice Mail thread in the 950 forum, I learned that I had to call VM once to enter my p/w, so that VVM would show up in WP10. I did that, and it now works great.

What phone are you coming from?

EDIT: One last thing - you may want to go ahead and submit an unlock request to ATT BEFORE you use it. That way, you'll have it in case you change your mind.

Greyfish7

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! Sry should've specified, was interrupted by toddler. currently on Verizon's California Blue HTC Windows Phone 8X. 3+ years old.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
So then doing a backup/restore is something you already know how to do - makes it much easier to come over. I'm still learning this phone myself, but so far it's an impressive device for 4 or 5 times what it cost.

cwkwood

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm ditching my iphone for this new 640. Any tips on that? I am used to having a jailbroken iphone because I like to tweak things. Apps are going to be a struggle I think but I want to give the Lumia a go.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm ditching my iphone for this new 640. Any tips on that? I am used to having a jailbroken iphone because I like to tweak things. Apps are going to be a struggle I think but I want to give the Lumia a go.
Please share what apps are important to you, what features are important to you, etc. I think there are some people around here who have had iphones and now use Windows phone.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

See my post above. Might as well unlock it before you use it. Then, you might want to upgrade to WP10 through the Insiders Program.

After all of that, try to be a little more specific and we'll see if we can help.

I downgraded to a 640, but I am liking it pretty well so far. I didn't expect to, but I like WP10 as well - I like it a lot on the 640.

MaryJane197

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I just switched from my iPhone 6 plus to a Windows phone. I have no regrets! Just sold my iphone to make up for buying my WP phone plus accessories.

I never liked the fact with iPhone that you could even put custom ringtones on it unless you bought them or jailbreak it.

I had the Blu Win JR LTE and switched to my Lumina 640 yesterday. World of difference between how these phones were different. My Lumina acts and feels like a high dollar phone. Unlike most ppl I got mine at Walmart for 60 bucks and it isn't unlocked. But I absolutely love it! Lack of app support isn't a big deal to me because I only use two. That's Facebook and Twitter. Your going to just love yours!

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
welcome aboard Mary Jane. FWIW - I bought my Lumia 640 used for about $65 a few weeks ago. I was trying to decide what to do with it, but with the Black Friday pricing going on, I figured I'd give it a look, because I couldn't really sell it. I liked it, and sold the HTC One M8 that was the driver at the time.

I did buy one from Best Buy. I really am not sure what I'll do with it -- give it to someone for Christmas, sit on it, sell it - really no idea. I didn't need it, but it's brand new for $30.

I think this phone feels like it should cost many times what it does. After Christmas, I'll figure out what I do next phone-wise, but I think at some point over the next few months, I'll end up with a 950.

One thing I hope that you newer folks will find is that there are some very helpful people around here, who know a lot about these products, from all angles - hardware, repair, software, etc. Ask away, and even PM folks, and I'm sure they'll help you out.

I have learned tons here.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I just switched from my iPhone 6 plus to a Windows phone.

I do have one question for you - how do you feel about the Plus vs the 640 in terms of screen size? I know the plus is much higher resolution, and nicer quality. Around here though, we have constant discussions over 5 vs 6 inch, so I am curious how you're adjusting.

MaryJane197

May 11, 2014
Visit site
I do have one question for you - how do you feel about the Plus vs the 640 in terms of screen size? I know the plus is much higher resolution, and nicer quality. Around here though, we have constant discussions over 5 vs 6 inch, so I am curious how you're adjusting.

You are correct the iPhone plus has a better quality screen but that's ALL I miss. I hated the fact that I couldn't easily slide my phone in my pocket when I had that iPhone. I hate carrying my pocket book around just to carry my phone in it. I am loving the screen on my 640. Now if I could just get a Chrome browser I would be set. 😉

Thanks for the Welcome Gordon! 😊

cwkwood

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
The apps I use most of the time on iPhone are the stock apps. But I do mobil banking through chase and state farm. I have a budget management app called goodbudget, a really great PDF app, kindle, indonesian-english translator, a conversion app for currencies, volumes, etc. My favorite tweak on iPhone is called activator which is a gesture based controller. It assigns gestures to actions. I have a swipe feature on my keyboard which enables me to scroll left and right as well as keyboard shortcuts for email addresses and other things. Any thoughts on these things?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The apps I use most of the time on iPhone are the stock apps. But I do mobil banking through chase and state farm. I have a budget management app called goodbudget, a really great PDF app, kindle, indonesian-english translator, a conversion app for currencies, volumes, etc. My favorite tweak on iPhone is called activator which is a gesture based controller. It assigns gestures to actions. I have a swipe feature on my keyboard which enables me to scroll left and right as well as keyboard shortcuts for email addresses and other things. Any thoughts on these things?

Someone can fill in what I don't know, but what I do know is that there's an awesome Word Flow feature that is very similar to swipe, and it is already enabled.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site

Most of these are available free in the app store. I have a pdf reader, translator, and currency converter on mine. MS has a budget mgt program. I am not sure about Kindle, and some banks don't have apps, so you have to use their website.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you Gordon, I figured that you would know more than I would.

As for Kindle, there is a Kindle app in the store that works. It does the job but it's kind of minimal.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Looking for tips, experience and wisdom. :)
One cool feature of the 640 is that if you install the Fit Bit app, you don't need to spend the $60 to get the Fit Bit Zip as it already has a Pedometer built in :D

You can use Microsoft Health too, but it works in a weird way such that the Pedometer isn't real time.

chrisinvermont

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Please share what apps are important to you, what features are important to you, etc. I think there are some people around here who have had iphones and now use Windows phone.

Not the OP but I did get my best buy $30 640 last night. plugged it into my surface and outlook and onedrive synced right off. This is a test to see if I can successfully escape my apple 4s without having to get a new iphone. Obviously outlook and one drive work fine. I also found Pandora and Spotify so music needs are met. Here are apps I need to replace in order to be able to make the transition.

Password keeper - I use DataVault and sync with my wife's phone and my desktop.
Grocery IQ - Sync grocery lists with wife's phone
Wahoo fitness - I have a BT heart rate monitor and BT speed/cadence bike setup. I was hoping runtastic app would work but it looks like it only works with their own BT products. On my iphone I also use mountain bike pro and road bike pro but I don't see those in the windows store.
Ski Tracks - don't really need to replace but I like to see the number of runs and vertical for the day.

Thanks
Chris

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo