950XL and 5 days of crushed hope

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Because, yes, it is IMPOSSIBLE to ever recover your personal data from ANY other means after a hard reset. /rolleyes I suppose I should have been just throwing my phone into the trash when I did hard resets during the insider preview program rather than recovering my data since obviously it's impossible and hence it was pointless to own the phone. Silly me.

here's a hint: take your example of text messages and explore that a bit with a foucs on the "History and Sync" functionality of the OS. And then check out the part of the OS where apps store there info independently (with developer support). oh, and there's creative use of this thing called "the cloud" and these new-fangled potato-chip things called memory cards that you can save stuff on supposedly.

But honestly, you crack me up. I'm not really sure if you are serious or not...I want to give you the benefit of the doubt that you are just trying to get a reaction out of me but then I think maybe you really don't get it. /shrug like I said before...good luck with that.

The history comes from the backup, and the recommendation was to not restore the backup, so I'm not really sure what your point is. My 920 doesn't have an SD card slot, so I wouldn't be able to move data that way to a new phone.

And I never said all the data would be lost, I said not getting ALL of my data back is the problem. 80% of it doesn't cut it.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
The history comes from the backup, and the recommendation was to not restore the backup, so I'm not really sure what your point is. My 920 doesn't have an SD card slot, so I wouldn't be able to move data that way to a new phone.

And I never said all the data would be lost, I said not getting ALL of my data back is the problem. 80% of it doesn't cut it.

Taking your specific example of text messages...those come from the cloud via the History and Sync mechanism and definitely do NOT need to be restored from the OS backup. I could go down the list of items that are recoverable but nearly everything is achievable without invoking the restore previous backup dialog at install....even if it requires some manual intervention from the user (OMG the horror that I might have to re-input a password here and there in exchange for a well-performing device!!!!)

And your 920 doesn't have SD card....so it doesn't have access to onedrive? Or a USB port that can be connected to either a PC or, hell, a 950/950XL in OTG mode?

Are you being deliberately ignorant?

As for the 80% comment...lol wow....you REALLY need that good luck I wished you. You're bound for some serious disappointment in this world if your assertion that something has to work 100% perfectly else it is pointless and thus should be cast aside. Nevemind the reality that by doing so you are guaranteeing a less-than-100% result by switching to something else. So therefore we can conclude it is pointless to ever use technology since any change in status quo results in data loss? hahaha I love your logic....just keeps going 'round and 'round.

In short, I would encourage you to NOT get a 950 or 950XL...you are not cut out for it at this point...you should run far away from the platform since it is bound to be proven pointless in your eyes.

Last edited:

Uncled1023

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site

The text message history doesn't come from the back-up though...

kappatau808

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
You're the one that's uninformed. There's data that is only backed up or restored to the phone via backup and restore, such as text messages or call history. Other apps are in the same boat. A smart phone that loses personal information is pointless.

i am not trolling, i am really asking. WHy oh Why would you want to back up call history or even text messages ( well text messages yea there might be some important information or just some cute text from a girl you want to save ( lol i know i would) but call history? maybe you are having trouble because some of the stuff you are trying to restore is not compatible with the new phone? ( i dont know never used windows im still waiting for my 950xl, backordered they say)

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Calm down guys, the text restore used to come from the backup and not everyone noticed the new way. It's a simple mistake, please try to inform rather than shame next time. I for one really do make use of the call history and text restore for lots of work related purposes.

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Taking your specific example of text messages...those come from the cloud via the History and Sync mechanism and definitely do NOT need to be restored from the OS backup. I could go down the list of items that are recoverable but nearly everything is achievable without invoking the restore previous backup dialog at install....even if it requires some manual intervention from the user (OMG the horror that I might have to re-input a password here and there in exchange for a well-performing device!!!!)

And your 920 doesn't have SD card....so it doesn't have access to onedrive? Or a USB port that can be connected to either a PC or, hell, a 950/950XL in OTG mode?

Are you being deliberately ignorant?

As for the 80% comment...lol wow....you REALLY need that good luck I wished you. You're bound for some serious disappointment in this world if your assertion that something has to work 100% perfectly else it is pointless and thus should be cast aside. Nevemind the reality that by doing so you are guaranteeing a less-than-100% result by switching to something else. So therefore we can conclude it is pointless to ever use technology since any change in status quo results in data loss? hahaha I love your logic....just keeps going 'round and 'round.

In short, I would encourage you to NOT get a 950 or 950XL...you are not cut out for it at this point...you should run far away from the platform since it is bound to be proven pointless in your eyes.

It's simple. For some apps the only way to keep the data associated with is backup restore. I really don't know why you bring up onedrive or usb since some of the apps don't store things there (they have their own private storage on the phone), and the WP for desktop app doesn't give you access to anything but photos, ringtones, music, videos and podcasts. There's no file explorer in wp8.1, and you can't see the FS via your pc with the phone connected. So, its just backup and restore.

I like how you keep picking trivial examples without knowing what apps people might have and what data they store or how important it might be to people.

I realize that no software will ever be 100% bug free, but a feature should work in general, and backup and restore is one of those critical features that absolutely just has to work. The feature that is there to keep your data safe (because it is important to you) shouldn't be rendered useless because of a bug.

I realize that for you a smart phone is a cool toy to play with, but some people rely on them and others its absolutely critical they work.

Your suggestion to abandon the platform is comical, since the bugs are very likely to be fixed, so I can just wait until then. Besides, I make my living writing software for this platform, and have for the past 15 years or so, and so I'm just going to ignore your nonsense (and any more of your posts).

ajj3085

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
i am not trolling, i am really asking. WHy oh Why would you want to back up call history or even text messages ( well text messages yea there might be some important information or just some cute text from a girl you want to save ( lol i know i would) but call history? maybe you are having trouble because some of the stuff you are trying to restore is not compatible with the new phone? ( i dont know never used windows im still waiting for my 950xl, backordered they say)

Text messages and call history are useful in legal proceedings, for example. And those are just examples of apps whose data will only return to your phone if you do a restore, but they aren't the only ones.

I'm not having any issues as i haven't purchased a 950xl yet (I will at some point), I'm just saying that "do a factory reset and don't restore from backup" makes the 950 a useless upgrade (at least for some people, anyway).

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
It's simple. For some apps the only way to keep the data associated with is backup restore. I really don't know why you bring up onedrive or usb since some of the apps don't store things there (they have their own private storage on the phone), and the WP for desktop app doesn't give you access to anything but photos, ringtones, music, videos and podcasts. There's no file explorer in wp8.1, and you can't see the FS via your pc with the phone connected. So, its just backup and restore.

I like how you keep picking trivial examples without knowing what apps people might have and what data they store or how important it might be to people.

I realize that no software will ever be 100% bug free, but a feature should work in general, and backup and restore is one of those critical features that absolutely just has to work. The feature that is there to keep your data safe (because it is important to you) shouldn't be rendered useless because of a bug.

I realize that for you a smart phone is a cool toy to play with, but some people rely on them and others its absolutely critical they work.

Your suggestion to abandon the platform is comical, since the bugs are very likely to be fixed, so I can just wait until then. Besides, I make my living writing software for this platform, and have for the past 15 years or so, and so I'm just going to ignore your nonsense (and any more of your posts).

Wow for someone who supposedly is a developer for the platform you sure don't know much about it. Double good luck to you. As I mentioned, applications can save their stuff to the cloud independently of the local phone storage if the developer coded it to do so. But, you of course would know that being a dev yourself, right? LOL. The vast majority of apps that have any sort of "personal info" that you are so concerned about do that...at worst you might have to re-enter your username/password upon reinstall.

If you can't figure out why I keep bringing up usb or onedrive at this point...I'm not sure what to tell you. The general gist being, the vast majority of "personal info" that people are concerned about ARE accessible via the tools available for direct backup. The few things that aren't are either taken care of through other means (eg text messages) or directly through the mechanisms of individual apps OR are not actually "personal info" and rather are settings which can be reconstructed with a little manual intervention. Your sky-is-falling take on the situation is pathetic for a supposed fan and supporter of the platform...nevermind a supposed developer.

But I like how you keep picking examples that you are dead wrong about. Makes my job easier.

And by the way..."backup and restore" DOES work just fine..within the same operating system. The problem is using it for MIGRATION to a new OS (which is what 8.1 - > 10 is)...which it was not originally designed for (obviously). This is the nuance you can't seem to wrap your mind around apparently. Should it be refined to be better suited for migration? Sure...absolutely. Should not being able to leverage it for migration in many cases render the whole platform "pointless"? Hell no. And I consider you foolish for the assertion.

Anyway...at this point I think you've proven to the forum exactly what kind of "expert" you are..I don't need to help you any more LOL. Once again..best of luck to you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077