Which Nokia Qi chargers work with the 950 XL? Does the Fatboy?

darth furious

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Basically all flat Qi charging plates will work. All flat chargers will work because you will be able to align the coils.

All flat chargers work -- true
All flat chargers work well -- only if correctly aligned...(not always)

If you don't line up the charger correctly it will initiate but charge slowly and get hot
I had no issues with my 920 on the dt900. I have heating problems with my 950xl on the dt900.

dmmontal

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been struggling a bit with my Qi charger myself. I purchased the fairly cheap Anker PowerPort charger, which was suggested in the "Prep for Lumia 950" article here on WC: Prep for Lumia 950 & 950 XL: Wireless charging & what charger to get | Windows Central

Unfortunately my experience hasn't been great, due to some of the same overnight charging issues. I put it down, it goes into charge mode, I got to sleep, and when I wake up it's no longer charging and it's significantly lower than 100%. For instance I put it down last night at 84% and this morning it was no longer charging and the battery was at only 86%. I think one of two things is going on:

1) Either the pad's "intelligent feature" of shutting off charging at 107 degrees F is kicking in, or
2) It's charging up to 100%, then disconnecting and just sitting there draining the rest of the night.

Has anyone had experiences with this charger specifically, or other similar observations? Unfortunately since it charges so slowly compared to a regular wall plug, overnight charging is the only foreseeable use I have for this technology.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
All flat chargers work -- true
All flat chargers work well -- only if correctly aligned...(not always)

If you don't line up the charger correctly it will initiate but charge slowly and get hot
I had no issues with my 920 on the dt900. I have heating problems with my 950xl on the dt900.

Strange you have heating issues? Is yours in case? Mine warms up in case (mildly) but cold on bare plate

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased the Anker PowerPort QI charger and will do in-depth testing + report back here. I am facing slow charging / heat problems with various 3 coil QI chargers I recently bought in combination with Lumia 950 XL. Yes they all charge 100% but it takes 4+ hours.

Most interestingly: If I actively cool the charging devices I have perfect charging behavior / linear charging with no slow downs.

Also suspicious: I see 8 watts being drawn from the power adapter but this seems to be too much as Lumia 950 XL should only support 5W QI charging. Maybe a reason for the overheating.

With my Lumia 930, 1020 and 920 I never had a single issue with QI charging.

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I have a DT-903 and it sorta works.

Orientation: For me there's only one placement that works - positioned so that the cord of the charger is at the top of the phone. If I rotate the phone 180 it constantly chimes. I presume the chime is actually originating from the Gadget app and that the problem is that it cannot maintain a BT connection, but that's just a guess

NFC tap to pair: Hit or miss. It doesn't matter if I try it from Gadgets or not.

BT: In this forum it appears most people are having a problem remaining connected to a car. My phone works great in all of my cars, but it can't automatically connect to the charger. Thus I get no pulsating notifications. The only fix is to turn off BT and then re-enable. Not very useful

Charging: Initially the phone charges until full. Once full the charger light goes out and the phone says it is connected to power but not charging - all as expected. But eventually the phone discharges the battery a bit, resulting in a new charge cycle. The problem is this second charge cycle never stops, resulting in a quite bit of heat. My L920 running 586.11 does not have this problem. I have decided I will not use this charger anymore

[Add] My phone is the XL

I have both DT-901 (Fatboy pillow) and DT-903 and they really cook my 950XL instead of charging it when left overnight. I didn't have the problem on 1520 and 920. I guess you could be right about the second charging cycle. My 1520 and 920 didn't feel hot when I pick them up in the morning but my 950 XL is burning hot. And the worst part is battery is always less than 100%

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the anker qi puck - don't think i've ever woken to find it at 100%

Usually around 92-94%. I think it gets to fully charged then shutsdown and doesn't top up, hence dropping slowly [i usually stick on the plate at 10.30pm and take off at 7am].

This morning it was really hot and at 18%!! I have a feeling i didn't put it on the puck correctly - i think it needs to be bang on over the middle.

Rather annoying so far. Never had a problem with my Lumia930 and the small DT nokia puck that came in the box.

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
This morning it was really hot and at 18%!! I have a feeling i didn't put it on the puck correctly - i think it needs to be bang on over the middle. Rather annoying so far. Never had a problem with my Lumia930 and the small DT nokia puck that came in the box.

That's exactly it! Of course QI needs some positioning to charge or not charge. But the 950 XL heats up so much when not perfectly aligned. I've never had this with my previous QI chargeable Lumia's. I really hope it's not a hardware problem like we've seen on some Android devices with certain metal alloys used (which apparently are magnetic and heat up even though they don't have anything to do with charging).

I guess you could be right about the second charging cycle.

To add my experience with Easychee 3 coil QI chargers (DT-904 will arrive soon, will restest): These chargers + 950 XL definetely dont start a second full charge when the phone is already in tickle charge mode.

Heating up: When it heats up then it does so within just 1-2 hours = long before the phone is fully charged. The heat then slows down charging to a level where discharge is larger than (tiny) charge rate).

Last edited by a moderator:

N1cks

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I have been using two DT-900 chargers that I had from the old Lumia 920 days, and while they both work, the phone heats up pretty badly. It might not be a problem with the charger, it could be that the CPU just goes crazy overnight, causing the charger to remain active all night. Each morning I end up picking up a pretty hot 950XL off the pad, with less than 100% in the battery. I'll try setting airplane mode next time, and disabling glance, Cortana, and Hello after that to see if any of those are the culprit.

I word of warning.. I think the DT-900 (from the Fatboy pillow) MAY have cooked & killed Lumia 950.

I only had the phone 14 days. First day back at work, I lay the 950 on the Fatboy pillow (like I'd done a thousand times with my old 920). After about an hour on the charger, I grab the phone & headed off to a meeting. The next time I went to use the phone, it was dead!

Whether this is a fault with my specific Lumia 950... or something that could affect all 950s, I don't know.

Fortunately my mobile provider has provided a replacement. In fact, I've used the opportunity to upgrade to a 950 XL (which I'll hopefully receive today or tomorrow :-D ).

Because of this experience, I may not use the FatBoy pillow & will buy one of the new DT-904 chargers.

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I word of warning.. I think the DT-900 (from the Fatboy pillow) MAY have cooked & killed Lumia 950.

I only had the phone 14 days. First day back at work, I lay the 950 on the Fatboy pillow (like I'd done a thousand times with my old 920). After about an hour on the charger, I grab the phone & headed off to a meeting. The next time I went to use the phone, it was dead!

Whether this is a fault with my specific Lumia 950... or something that could affect all 950s, I don't know.

Fortunately my mobile provider has provided a replacement. In fact, I've used the opportunity to upgrade to a 950 XL (which I'll hopefully receive today or tomorrow :-D ).

Because of this experience, I may not use the FatBoy pillow & will buy one of the new DT-904 chargers.

DT-904 is literally the same as DT-903 with just the Nokia logo changed to Microsoft. My DT-903 makes my Lumia 950 XL very hot and charges very slow due to the overheating.

I've compared the charging time between DT-900 and 903. 903 does charge the phone a tad faster (when using the 1.8A USB adapter from my 1520). I also tried a third party 2.4A adapter and the charging time is the same as the 1.8A adapter. However DT-903 is still very slow in charging 950XL.

I also tried putting a heat sink (from my old CPU) directly contacting the metal plate at the bottom of DT-903. Not much different though. I think I'll need to test with a fan later.

I think all of us have this universal frustration coming from wireless charging that we are so used to since the days of 920. I sure hope this is some kind of a driver/software issue and not hardware related.

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Tnx for your post. Yes pls try a USB fan as well. I've seen that it can impact the charging performance a lot but it's not the ultimate solution unfortunately.

I believe that there must be another problem which either sits within the battery or the phone / firmware. Otherwise I couldn't explain why I now found similar charging slow downs on cable / USB-C charging.

The whole situation is a mess. Never had a problem with charging a phone before.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
More inclined to say positioning is key, my dt 900 is fine with 950xl, I doesn't have fast charge but I get to 100% charge with or without leather wallet case on. Although I have known the leather to get warm at times but nicely cold when bare!

Chippy757

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Being in the same boat I was now looking for a stronger charger to go with charging plate off the 930, I am pretty sure slow charging and excess overheating is to do with charger not being powerful enough.
Anyone have one of these perhaps?
AUKEY 18W USB Wall Charger with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0

This one does have 3A output which is same as AC 100 that comes with 950's, you can plug in any cable you want as well as charging plate, which should work?
Aukey pa_t9_2.jpg

Attachments

• Aukey pa_t9_2.jpg
    Aukey pa_t9_2.jpg
    854 KB · Views: 3

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I am using Anker 20W (4 ampere max) wall chargers for driving my many QI charging plates and QI stands.
Now the thing is that none of my QI chargers ever draws more than 9 watts. Because they can't: QI slow charging standard...

It makes sense to use a wall charger with at least 1.5 ampere but 2+ ampere wont help charging speed due to the reason above.

I figured this by measuring power consumption, ampere, volts, etc with a USB voltmeter.

Sidenote: I also own an Anker Quick Charger 2.0 which I tested as well. QI charging plates wont make use of more than 5.x volts. Qualcomm Quick charge works based on 9V. Same is valid for USB-C charging (950 XL charger).

Also: I strongly believe that investing into high quality wall chargers makes a lot of sense. They have smart charging functionality which figures out the best charging behavior. With my voltmeter I can actually see how it tries to find the best volt / ampere setting for each device.

GF Wong

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I did some volt and amp measurement on my DT-903 using both Aukey Qualcomm certified 2.0 wall charger (tested the quick charge port and the 2A port) and my Lumia 1520 wall charger (rated 1.5A output). Yup the voltage is always around 5.xV and the current maxed out at 1.5xA. This is certainly higher than DT-900 that is bundled with a .75A non-USB type wall adaptor.

Using the 2A port on the Aukey charger on the DT-903, I tried placing my 950 XL in different orientation and position. It seems that placing the phone perfectly aligned with the top edge of the phone flush to the top of the plate where the cable comes out draws the max current. Placing the phone slightly off, the current drops to .7A. So I guess orientation is very important.

I didn't notice this issue when using my 1520 last time. However, with the phone perfectly aligned, it still get quite hot and charging is slower than 1520, maybe of the bigger battery and higher current draw (less efficient) of Windows 10 Mobile.

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Well done and measured! Thanks for that - covers my measurements a 100%!

Same for placement - "with the top edge of the phone flush to the top of the plate" - thats how I do it with the DT-903 / 950 XL as well.

Yes the 950 XL still isnt capable of charging steadily with proper ampere. Thats why it's overheating I believe. In the first 20-40 minutes I see 8-9 watts being drawn from the charger which is far far above 5 watts slow QI charging standard. At the same time the phones battery only takes 5 watts. The rest (3-4 watts) ends up as pure heat. My theory :)

spazzmeister

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Is it safe to use my Samsung charger? It's a Samsung wireless fast charger EP-PN920. When I place my 950xl on the charger it works fine and charges up pretty quickly. Is there any danger of damaging my battery?

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Pls let us know how fast this charger charges the 950 XL :)

This charger indeed is interesting as it has a build in air fan (due to the high charging power / heat).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa