Which Nokia Qi chargers work with the 950 XL? Does the Fatboy?

greynightshirt

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
As the Nokia DT-910 charging stand doesn't work with the 950 XL (...only just bought it a few weeks ago), I'm looking at buying a fatboy pillow / DT-901.

Has anyone tried this? Can the 950 XL rest on it comfortably/ as intended?

Or which Nokia Qi charging plate/thing can you recommend?

camptime

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Any flat Qi charger should work without a problem. Only reason the stands don't work is because the charging plates inside don't align correctly. Did read somewhere one person placed something under the phone to raise it up and it fixed the problem. Not sure what charging stand it was thought.

Unauthorized

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
The pillow works fine and I find it even more comfortable to lay the phone onto it. Just you cannot read the Glance screen as well as with the stand. We just learned that the DT-910 only has a single coil below the circle, but the coil in the 950 XL is centered. Therefore you have to put it in landscape and elevated to charge - a hoax, so sort the device out. The DT-900 (= DT-901) seems to have 3 coils, therefore you do not need to care as much for right placement.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
FWIW, I have been using two DT-900 chargers that I had from the old Lumia 920 days, and while they both work, the phone heats up pretty badly. It might not be a problem with the charger, it could be that the CPU just goes crazy overnight, causing the charger to remain active all night. Each morning I end up picking up a pretty hot 950XL off the pad, with less than 100% in the battery. I'll try setting airplane mode next time, and disabling glance, Cortana, and Hello after that to see if any of those are the culprit.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Instead of standing the 950xl in the vertical position; lay it on the side and move it left and right until the charge light stays on. Mine works just fine like this and I don't anticipate buying a new one for a while.

mdbuilder

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
FWIW, I have been using two DT-900 chargers that I had from the old Lumia 920 days, and while they both work, the phone heats up pretty badly. It might not be a problem with the charger, it could be that the CPU just goes crazy overnight, causing the charger to remain active all night. Each morning I end up picking up a pretty hot 950XL off the pad, with less than 100% in the battery. I'll try setting airplane mode next time, and disabling glance, Cortana, and Hello after that to see if any of those are the culprit.

While it is possible there is some runaway CPU process overnight causing the heat, much more likely is misalignment between the coli in whatever pad you are using and the coil in the phone. The center of the coil in the phone is roughly the intersection of a line drawn accross the phone lined up with the joint between the lower volume key and the power key, and a vertical line centered (passes through the earphone jack).

On the 910 stand charger there is a molded circle on the pad, put the center of the phone coli on this circle within a 1/4" or so and there will be virtually no heating. When this centering is off a lot, maybe a 1/2 to 3/4", the transfer efficiency is much lower and everything that doesn't get to the battery turns to heat in the coils and you phone gets hot.

This position works perfectly with the stand charger: http://1drv.ms/1XzVdQT

greynightshirt

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Instead of standing the 950xl in the vertical position; lay it on the side and move it left and right until the charge light stays on. Mine works just fine like this and I don't anticipate buying a new one for a while.

I've tried, and it beeps but the light of the stand keeps going out and the phone doesn't charge. Maybe it's because of the case I have on the phone. But I can't pull it out of it every time I want to charge, sadly.

greynightshirt

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
On the 910 stand charger there is a molded circle on the pad, put the center of the phone coli on this circle within a 1/4" or so and there will be virtually no heating. When this centering is off a lot, maybe a 1/2 to 3/4", the transfer efficiency is much lower and everything that doesn't get to the battery turns to heat in the coils and you phone gets hot.

This position works perfectly with the stand charger: http://1drv.ms/1XzVdQT

I'll try modifying it like that, maybe I'm lucky and it also works with a case on! Thanks :)

madusmacus

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
My Nokia DT-910 charges my 950xl in horizontal position BUT...
It never stop charging and I woke up to a very hot 950xl at 5am this morning so
im going to smash this charger up (hope it is the charger) hehe

Harry Notermans

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
FWIW: Recently I bought a generic charger at dx.com (K8 QI Wireless Charging Transmitter Pad for Nokia Lumia 820 / 920 / Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 / Note 2-242558 EUR 13.59). The flat charging plate has a rubbery top and it's almost exactly the same size as the 950XL. Even more importantly...it works!

Rvacha

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I have a DT-903 and it sorta works.

Orientation: For me there's only one placement that works - positioned so that the cord of the charger is at the top of the phone. If I rotate the phone 180 it constantly chimes. I presume the chime is actually originating from the Gadget app and that the problem is that it cannot maintain a BT connection, but that's just a guess

NFC tap to pair: Hit or miss. It doesn't matter if I try it from Gadgets or not.

BT: In this forum it appears most people are having a problem remaining connected to a car. My phone works great in all of my cars, but it can't automatically connect to the charger. Thus I get no pulsating notifications. The only fix is to turn off BT and then re-enable. Not very useful

Charging: Initially the phone charges until full. Once full the charger light goes out and the phone says it is connected to power but not charging - all as expected. But eventually the phone discharges the battery a bit, resulting in a new charge cycle. The problem is this second charge cycle never stops, resulting in a quite bit of heat. My L920 running 586.11 does not have this problem. I have decided I will not use this charger anymore

[Add] My phone is the XL

Peter Grilj

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
So is there a good QI charger for the XL, that will actually charge the phone over night and it wouldn't melt in the process?
I'm not used to charge a phone every day, a QI charger will solve the hustle, but which one should I buy.

TankWart

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
So is there a good QI charger for the XL, that will actually charge the phone over night and it wouldn't melt in the process?
I'm not used to charge a phone every day, a QI charger will solve the hustle, but which one should I buy.
I ordered a spigen f300w stand and actually like it. You need an 2ampere usb adapter though as it is not included.

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
My dt-900 is fine on 950xl, place the bottom of phone at light end and place vertically, if you have case on phone can get warm however if you have just the phone it's fine!

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
It seems like I can't get any wireless charger to charge reliably at all. I've tried my DT-900 and sometimes with proper placement (as described in a few posts) I can get it to charge. But, it's usually slow and heats up ridiculously. I also ordered a 3 coil charger here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3332640 and it seemed to work once or twice. But last night I set it on the charger, light was green indicating it was charging. But, woke up this morning and it was at 22% (pretty much what it was when I put it on the charger. It's getting frustrating as this is one of the main features of the phone and I'm running out of patience. Does anyone have a charger that's actually working reliably?

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Grabbed this one off Amazon and it works great. It's a flat design with 3 coils, so no issues with correct positioning and has been working flawlessly for a few days now.

Amazon.com: Wireless Charger with 3 Coils (Top Rated) - CHOE Stadium Qi Wireless Charging Pad with Wide Charging Area for Galaxy Note 5/S6/S6 Edge/S6 Edge+ and Lumia 950xl / 950 and Other QI Enable Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories

-Skippy

EDIT: Sorry about not noticing the title specifically looking for Nokia Qi chargers.

Last edited:

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Basically all flat Qi charging plates will work. The issue with the DT-910 stand is that the coil doesn't align properly when the phone is in portrait. You have to put the 950 XL in landscape and then place a pen or something underneath to raise it a little bit so the coils align. All flat chargers will work because you will be able to align the coils.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss