If you had a 930 would you/did you get a 950 anyway?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
For me the 930 performance is good enough but I consider to get the 950 XL, not for the better hardware but for the larger display.

This. I had a 930. I went to Manchester #WindowsInsidersUK event last night. Walked out with 2 950XLs.
I saw no reason to upgrade from 930 till last night. But I saw the phone in my hand. I realized its hardware and what it can do. I had to upgrade.

Look at it this way:
If a Surface Phone launches next Oct-Dec, it will be high end. Probably priced closer to iPhone. Would you have that kind of money next year? Yes? Then stick to your 930.

However, my logic was - if I sell 930 today, I get ?150 on eBay. My phone was ?480 with free dock (?80) and Office 365 + 1 TB OneDrive (?50). Now take away these and my 950XL is ?350. I'll get ?150 for 930 so that leaves my phone price at ?200..

A bigger display, 1GB extra RAM, Continuum (that I will use probably once in next 12 months), Windows Hello, qHD screen, triple LED flash (you need to take a photo to see the difference!), thinner phone, lighter phone, glance screen, ultra fast charging, USB type C, ability to record voice calls - is it worth it for ?200? Hell yeah!

Now, if Surface phone came out next year say for same price as XL. ?480 - I won't have ?150 for my 930. It would sell for ?50-60 if that. So my Surface Phone will cost me ?400 at least. If it is going to be more expensive than this, I am looking at ?500 cash, even after selling my 930.

I chose to pay roughly 50p a day for next 12 months till Surface Phone is launched, to get 950XL.

If I did want a Surface phone next year, I am sure selling 950XL will fetch me more money than my 930 would next year.

Those thinking of being rich and shelling out money etc - are using only financial logics, not economics.

Last edited:

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks rockstarzz, that's exactly the kind of convoluted reasoning that convinced me at the last minute not to attend the NYC WindowsInsider Event Tuesday night. I knew if I went I'd probably be a goner and wouldn't be able to resist buying a 950 (plus free Continuum Dock) that every other instinct and analysis told me was unnecessary when I had a perfectly good (now with Win 10 almost fantastic) 930. But buying 2 950XLs today to sell and save enough money on a Surface phone next year? I don't think I'd ever have been able to talk myself into that elegant of a voodoo economic justification. Kudos.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks rockstarzz, that's exactly the kind of convoluted reasoning that convinced me at the last minute not to attend the NYC WindowsInsider Event Tuesday night. I knew if I went I'd probably be a goner and wouldn't be able to resist buying a 950 (plus free Continuum Dock) that every other instinct and analysis told me was unnecessary when I had a perfectly good (now with Win 10 almost fantastic) 930. But buying 2 950XLs today to sell and save enough money on a Surface phone next year? I don't think I'd ever have been able to talk myself into that elegant of a voodoo economic justification. Kudos.

If it is too complicated, here is a simpler version.

Your 930 is worth ?150 today. It will be ?80 next year.
When do you sell and leave - today or next year?

At the end of the day it is cash. Today you have ?150 to put towards your bread or new phone. Next year you would have ?80 to put towards your bread or new phone. After a year, we know for fact that bread and phone will only get expensive and value of old technology only get smashed to bits. Simples!

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
But technolust makes it more difficult. When it comes to new technology and the desire to encourage MS to keep at making phones it's harder to restrain myself from getting the newest and best.

This is pretty much why I bought mine. My 830 was fine.

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Do you really think the 930 will get ?150 on ebay??

Mizumo etc are only offering around ?70 now, which made me nearly faint!!! Bought mine for ?369 in Sept 14. Looking on ebay, they don't seem to get over ?100. Rather frustrating...........hasn't stopped me ordering an XL. Should be with me tomorrow.

I can then send back my 930 and it's faulty mic for a repair. Little part of me hopes they wont have the parts to repair and will send me a 950............ ;-)

2 years warranty is deffo a blessing!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you really think the 930 will get ?150 on ebay??

Mizumo etc are only offering around ?70 now, which made me nearly faint!!! Bought mine for ?369 in Sept 14. Looking on ebay, they don't seem to get over ?100. Rather frustrating...........hasn't stopped me ordering an XL. Should be with me tomorrow.

I can then send back my 930 and it's faulty mic for a repair. Little part of me hopes they wont have the parts to repair and will send me a 950............ ;-)

2 years warranty is deffo a blessing!

You know that won't happen. I sent mine just a month ago for mic and was offered a refurb one instead. I chose to get it done locally.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
You know that won't happen. I sent mine just a month ago for mic and was offered a refurb one instead. I chose to get it done locally.

I'm in the States and I've passed the six month warranty offered by Expansys USA so I have zero options to address my 930's secondary mic issue. Local shops don't even recognize the 930 and I'm not willing to risk a big bill for a bad repair :(

Because of that and the lack of LTE on AT&T I will definitely be shopping for a 950 the second they have a price drop (or an XL if folks can start getting them to work without hassle on AT&T- I want hotspot, LTE & VVM to all work without having to deal with AT&T support).

If I had no mic problem and I had LTE, I would probably not consider the 950 until I'd had my 930 at least a year (April). And at that point I'd probably wait to see what MS had to say at their Build conference. If they seem willing to give mobile some love then at that point I'd be able to justify the 950.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
If it is too complicated, here is a simpler version.... After a year, we know for fact that bread and phone will only get expensive and value of old technology only get smashed to bits. Simples!

But you said that you bought two 950xls. That's... a lot of bread.

Not that I can't understand having two phones. I've never sold an old phone when getting a new one. I just keep the old one for kayaking, the beach or overseas travel with a locally bought sim card, and it being my old phone I don't have to worry about it falling in the water, loss or "old technology getting smashed to bits".

obakir

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm in the States and I've passed the six month warranty offered by Expansys USA so I have zero options to address my 930's secondary mic issue. Local shops don't even recognize the 930 and I'm not willing to risk a big bill for a bad repair :(

Because of that and the lack of LTE on AT&T I will definitely be shopping for a 950 the second they have a price drop (or an XL if folks can start getting them to work without hassle on AT&T- I want hotspot, LTE & VVM to all work without having to deal with AT&T support).

If I had no mic problem and I had LTE, I would probably not consider the 950 until I'd had my 930 at least a year (April). And at that point I'd probably wait to see what MS had to say at their Build conference. If they seem willing to give mobile some love then at that point I'd be able to justify the 950.

same here. I just got an unlocked 950 for these reasons. I have t-mobile though. Also I'm not super happy with windows 10 yet. 8.1 was more stable and polished. You may want to wait until 10.1 if you don't have the above issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99