Going to AT&T today about Hotspot and LTE how do I make them understand

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Dunno why you're having issues. Maybe get a new 950 XL and do the following:

1. Do you already have a nano SIM card from ATT from a prior phone that works?
2a. If yes, don't call ATT at all.
2b. If no, then get a nano SIM from ATT.
3. Do NOT turn on your new 950 XL. Take the nano SIM from your old working phone and put it in your new 950 XL (also put in whatever microSD card you want since you have the cover off anyway).
4. After the nano SIM and micro SD are in place, now you can turn on your new 950 XL and proceed to sign in with your MS account and set it up.
5. ??
6. Profit. Seriously, it should just work now with LTE and wifi hotspot.

I did these steps and never had to input any IMEI or call ATT or any other nonsense. It just worked. For Visual Voicemail, you won't have it if you have a dual SIM 950 XL.... It's an OS thing and apparently will be updated next year to support VVM on dual sim models. When I log into my ATT account, it show up as unknown phone, which is expected since its not an ATT phone.

so youre saying that getting a new nano SIM from ATT and popping it in before doing first setup on the phone etc. gave you LTE?
Or did you get your existing nano SIM from your ATT phone and used it?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Thank you everyone!!! It is working!!! I didn't restore from backup because I have heard of users having issues because of that. But I have LTE and Hotspot buttttt.... I don't have voicemail anymore. They will have to set it up in the system will they break it? Crap!

Did you ever have Visual Voicemail on the 950XL ?

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Did you ever have Visual Voicemail on the 950XL ?

Never had Visual Voicemail but I had Voicemail. After being on with AT&T for what seemed like a life time by the time I took the phone back to the store the Voicemail (just plain voicemail) was working I had LTE but my hotspot didn't work. They kept trying to get it to work at the MS store but it never did. I returned it and got a 640 XL. I wouldn't have had a problem with having OS glitches it even shutdown on me once and wouldn't turn back on until I plugged it in that didn't bother me but I shouldn't have to sacrifice features to have features when they are all meant to work on the phone. God bless those of you who aren't having any issues I wish I could have said the same. It felt like having another job trying to get the phone to work properly so that I could enjoy it.

I think about how I couldn't wait for it to be released and how I left work paid my son 20 to take me to pick it up LOL. It's all good though made memories and waited with good people. The 640 XL is cool I will wait about a year or so and try again for the top of the Windows line. I am giving my 640 to my son - in - law.

Oh and the guy at the MS store looked it up after he couldn't get it to work properly he said it had something to do with the IMEI's not being entered into AT&T's system. Such is life. On to the next! :kiss:

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
The 640 XL is cool..
Oh and the guy at the MS store looked it up after he couldn't get it to work properly he said it had something to do with the IMEI's not being entered into AT&T's system. Such is life. On to the next! :kiss:

The 640XL is very cool with incredible battery life, love mine.
But if MS says its a issue of AT&T not entering your 950XL's IMEI's number in their system then why can't the just do that for your phone?? People have been using unlocked phones in they're system for years so I wonder why the 950XL is any different??

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
The 640XL is very cool with incredible battery life, love mine.
But if MS says its a issue of AT&T not entering your 950XL's IMEI's number in their system then why can't the just do that for your phone?? People have been using unlocked phones in they're system for years so I wonder why the 950XL is any different??

The battery is awesome! I am at 46% and it iI 10 pm. I'm loving this phone great alternative.

joeonsunset

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
A bit OT, but my hotspot wasn't working either. I can't say which of these "fixed" it but here's what I did in case somebody would like to try. First I should mention that my SIM was from an AT&T branded LT1520 running 586.11. From the start I always had LTE, just no hotspot

1. Went into Field Test by opening the phone app, then dialing ##3282#
2. Clicked on Settings, then Band Locking
3. Unchecked a band, then saved & exit, then back into Band Locking to re-enable the band I just disabled (in my case LTE Band 1)

At this stage if I had waited a while it might have been enough but I'll never know because I was not overly patient at the time... then I dragged down the notification area and just started toggling everything related to wireless in random order numerous times - Cellular Data, Airplane mode, WiFi, Mobile Hotspot. Must have done a dozen combinations or so... then suddenly it started working. Sorry this is not very scientific or procedural but it was late and I was tired!

My hotspot wasn't working either and this actually worked for me. To be clear, I was not having the provisioning issue (hotspot would indicate as on, and AT&T has my old Lumia 1520 IMEI. Instead, no device could connect to the hotspot, even though the phone lit it up.) What I did was as above:

1. Field test
2. Band locking, uncheck LTE Band 1, save and exit.
3. Field test, band locking, re-check LTE Band 1, save and exit.
4. Disable wifi, disable cellular data, disable Bluetooth, enable airplane mode.
5. Reboot phone.
6. Re-enable everything including cellular data.

After that, I could turn on hotspot and other laptops and tablets could finally connect to it.

Who knows! Thanks, Rvacha!

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
No voicemail.

So what is with voicemail - just regular voicemail? I'm not sure how to set it up. When I hold down the '1', it asks me for a 'mailbox' which I thought was my cell number but that doesn't work. I don't care about visual voicemail. I never used that before. But this new phone doesn't even have basic voicemail??????

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
So what is with voicemail - just regular voicemail? I'm not sure how to set it up. When I hold down the '1', it asks me for a 'mailbox' which I thought was my cell number but that doesn't work. I don't care about visual voicemail. I never used that before. But this new phone doesn't even have basic voicemail??????

Your voicemail needs to be setup by att when that happens. But if your phone is configured with an old imei number to make the other features work they won't be able to set up your voicemail without using the imei from the phone which will then wipe out the ability to have lte and hotspot. If you have not done the mismatch imei setup call them they will add it for you.

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Your voicemail needs to be setup by att when that happens. But if your phone is configured with an old imei number to make the other features work they won't be able to set up your voicemail without using the imei from the phone which will then wipe out the ability to have lte and hotspot. If you have not done the mismatch imei setup call them they will add it for you.

I never did the IMEI thing to get LTE. I'm happy with 4G for now. I will give them a call tomorrow. Thank you.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
This thread (along with my own experience of hassles using a 930 on AT&T) has pretty much convinced me to just get the 950 from AT&T once the price comes down a little. Before anyone says "Oh, but you just have to....", please save it; not worth the hassle to me. The Moron Brigade (aka AT&T) wins this battle- for now.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
... if the sweep sees a mismatch between the IMEI and the actual model then problems can occur. The RM1116 is currently not provisioned for LTE by AT&T, I was told.

I hate AT&T, Verizon and any other carrier that crapifies our lives. Not provisioned for LTE? Okay, then just go ahead and provision it FFS. Honestly, what does that really mean beyond "we're not enabling this because we choose not to"? What kind of technical hurdles are we talking about?

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I still don't understand why AT&T can't just enter your 950XL IMEI into it's system to allow LTE & Voice mail to work??

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I still don't understand why AT&T can't just enter your 950XL IMEI into it's system to allow LTE & Voice mail to work??

I don't understand didn't want to know as much as I do now just wanted the phone and 650.00 worth of features. It makes no sense at all its like no one at att knew these phones were coming out.

ShadowMario3

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

This is pretty much what AT&T did for me. I never used an IMEI from another AT&T phone or had a Nano Sim from a previous one, so I had to go through three support associates through chat before I was connected to an "advanced tech". Once I was, he was able to properly input my Lumia 950 XL's IMEI into the system and give me LTE and regular Voicemail with no issue. Took around an hour to get it set up.

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
This is pretty much what AT&T did for me. I never used an IMEI from another AT&T phone or had a Nano Sim from a previous one, so I had to go through three support associates through chat before I was connected to an "advanced tech". Once I was, he was able to properly input my Lumia 950 XL's IMEI into the system and give me LTE and regular Voicemail with no issue. Took around an hour to get it set up.

Does your hotspot work?

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site

Went to AT&T online chat this morning and they got me fixed up with voicemail. Thank you!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb