Going to AT&T today about Hotspot and LTE how do I make them understand

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I called AT&T today to make sure I wouldn't be wasting a trip going there. There are 2 in my area I called both one sounded more knowledgeable doesn't mean I chose the right one. :unhappysweat: They don't sound very positive that they can do what it takes. If this doesn't work I will be returning my 950 XL and either just switch back to the 640 or get a 640 XL.

Exactly what do I need to tell them to get my phone working properly?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Ehm to be honest, a lot of people are having issues with wi-fi connectivity and that COULD extend to hotspot and LTE..

It looks to be more of a software or back-end issue that MS needs to solve, so going to att might not help..

Question: when setting up the phone did you restore a backup?

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Ehm to be honest, a lot of people are having issues with wi-fi connectivity and that COULD extend to hotspot and LTE..

It looks to be more of a software or back-end issue that MS needs to solve, so going to att might not help..

Question: when setting up the phone did you restore a backup?

Hello thanks for responding. No I did not restore from backup. :eek:rly:

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hello thanks for responding. No I did not restore from backup. :eek:rly:

Ok some users reported having issues when restoring from a backup, so that's why I asked. You could still got to att and show them the issues you're having. Ask if you can get a replacement device or at least check if another similar phone has the same issues

anon(8555314)

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
There's a long thread about this issue. It takes a long time to wade through it all. Here is the short version:

There is a simple 10 min. fix for these issues if you have a previous AT&T phone. Don't go to an AT&T store and ask them to fix it. Just don't do it.

Step 1: look at your previous AT&T phone and get the IMEI number from the Settings --> Extras --> About
(If you don't have a previous AT&T phone, get the IMEI from ANY AT&T phone from your neighborhood AT&T store or Best Buy etc. Any phone will do and it won't matter which one. Just pretend you are shopping and take a photo of the IMEI.

Step 2: Call AT&T tech support and tell them you got a new phone and you need them to set up LTE for you. Give them the IMEI of your old phone or other AT&T branded phone. Tell them that your new phone is whatever you got the IMEI from.

This has worked for me and many others, and fixed LTE and mobile hot spot.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
I just tried this, but they never asked for my IMEI. They asked for my phone model before I started the chat which I said Lumia 1020. I even put the sim into that phone and never got LTE set up.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
There's a long thread about this issue. It takes a long time to wade through it all. Here is the short version:

There is a simple 10 min. fix for these issues if you have a previous AT&T phone. Don't go to an AT&T store and ask them to fix it. Just don't do it.

Step 1: look at your previous AT&T phone and get the IMEI number from the Settings --> Extras --> About
(If you don't have a previous AT&T phone, get the IMEI from ANY AT&T phone from your neighborhood AT&T store or Best Buy etc. Any phone will do and it won't matter which one. Just pretend you are shopping and take a photo of the IMEI.

Step 2: Call AT&T tech support and tell them you got a new phone and you need them to set up LTE for you. Give them the IMEI of your old phone or other AT&T branded phone. Tell them that your new phone is whatever you got the IMEI from.

This has worked for me and many others, and fixed LTE and mobile hot spot.

Can OP confirm that this works for her?

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I originally put in my 830 sim and got LTE. Then, I did a chat and got them to put in my imei for the 950 xl and lte went away. I had to chat again to get the 830 imei so their system would recognize a device capable of LTE. It takes a few minutes for lte to appear also after rebooting.

They need to allow the phone and provision it as an LTE device for us to get this done the correct way.

Rvacha

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
A bit OT, but my hotspot wasn't working either. I can't say which of these "fixed" it but here's what I did in case somebody would like to try. First I should mention that my SIM was from an AT&T branded LT1520 running 586.11. From the start I always had LTE, just no hotspot

1. Went into Field Test by opening the phone app, then dialing ##3282#
2. Clicked on Settings, then Band Locking
3. Unchecked a band, then saved & exit, then back into Band Locking to re-enable the band I just disabled (in my case LTE Band 1)

At this stage if I had waited a while it might have been enough but I'll never know because I was not overly patient at the time... then I dragged down the notification area and just started toggling everything related to wireless in random order numerous times - Cellular Data, Airplane mode, WiFi, Mobile Hotspot. Must have done a dozen combinations or so... then suddenly it started working. Sorry this is not very scientific or procedural but it was late and I was tired!

[Edit] I should add that while I set up the phone with a SIM card inserted I was a moron and accidentally put it into the SIM 2 slot. After initial setup I shut down the phone, moved to SIM 1, then proceeded to do all updates and configurations. For all I know this switchola was why I didn't have hotspot. Never hard reset the phone

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
The LTE works but the Hotspot doesn't. I have had this done several times with the card from my 640 have to tell them because they will use my current IMEI then my LTE goes away and I have to tell them what to do to put it back. When I realized my hotspot wasn't working they tried to fix it and my LTE was gone told them what to do to get it back they tried to get my hotspot working but it just wasn't I gave up asked them to get my LTE back they put in a ticket for the Hotspot. They wanted me to go to the apn settings even sent me a link but I the instructions in the link weren't for this phone I found the apn settings area but was no longer on the phone with them and didn't know what to do. I just got a text that they want to talk to me probably from the call last night. I am going to call them back. :unhappy: I will try honesty first when I call them back then go the other route although they should be able to see my history. Thanks everyone. This isn't over yet.

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
They called me back as a result of my chat last night. I explained everything to her and asked her to just do this for me. LOL Since I am not at home she checked my records to see what the IMEI is for the 640 then said that it was already in there. I reset my phone put the sim back in and am waiting for it to come back up she was not interested in hanging around. LOL I will keep you posted.

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Thank you everyone!!! It is working!!! I didn't restore from backup because I have heard of users having issues because of that. But I have LTE and Hotspot buttttt.... I don't have voicemail anymore. They will have to set it up in the system will they break it? Crap!

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Was on chat for ever she wanted to try everything even though I told her it wouldn't work. Must have hotspot, must have voicemail. Phone cost too much this not too much to ask for. I will be returning. All of the steam has gone out of my sails. That's a RAP! Thanks for all of the support.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
voicemail - regular standard - should be there....
you may have to configure it...
i hate to tell you think - but get back on chat...

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
voicemail - regular standard - should be there....
you may have to configure it...
i hate to tell you think - but get back on chat...

It could not find my mailbox needed to be configured by att. We did everything. If I keep the imei from my 640 so that I can have hotspot and lte when she tried to configure for voicemail it asked for the correct imei won't let her configure it without it. When she put it in I lost wifi and lte.

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
So I checked the voicemail and it is working now but I don't have LTE and the hotspot just keeps trying to connect. This is just not worth it.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Dunno why you're having issues. Maybe get a new 950 XL and do the following:

1. Do you already have a nano SIM card from ATT from a prior phone that works?
2a. If yes, don't call ATT at all.
2b. If no, then get a nano SIM from ATT.
3. Do NOT turn on your new 950 XL. Take the nano SIM from your old working phone and put it in your new 950 XL (also put in whatever microSD card you want since you have the cover off anyway).
4. After the nano SIM and micro SD are in place, now you can turn on your new 950 XL and proceed to sign in with your MS account and set it up.
5. ??
6. Profit. Seriously, it should just work now with LTE and wifi hotspot.

I did these steps and never had to input any IMEI or call ATT or any other nonsense. It just worked. For Visual Voicemail, you won't have it if you have a dual SIM 950 XL.... It's an OS thing and apparently will be updated next year to support VVM on dual sim models. When I log into my ATT account, it show up as unknown phone, which is expected since its not an ATT phone.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
So I checked the voicemail and it is working now but I don't have LTE and the hotspot just keeps trying to connect. This is just not worth it.

Wow.. it's like taking two steps forward and one backwards... Do try to exchange the phone, because not everyone has these issues :) If the replacement device isn't any better.. well at least you tried

DLong4

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Please be advised that AT&T tech support had told me that using an IMEI from a different model might bring LTE for a while, but the carrier performs periodic regional sweeps, and if the sweep sees a mismatch between the IMEI and the actual model then problems can occur. The RM1116 is currently not provisioned for LTE by AT&T, I was told.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss