Lumia 950 XL or Surface Phone?

bullallday

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
I've been using Lumia 950 XL since November 25 (30 days to return). The phone is great over all. However, the battery life is so short

wp_ss_20151202_0001.jpg

As you can see in the picture, the battery was getting lower even i didn't use (I'm coming from Lumia 810, Lumia 925, Lumia 1020, Lumia 1520, please don't tell me how to manage background apps).
The Window Hello is awesome. You have to do IMPROVE RECOGNITION SEVERAL TIMES to make it getting better and better every time. Window Hello works like a charm now (never missed).
The rumor was coming out today that Surface Phone will launch next year (mid half 2016). I'm think returning Lumia 950 XL and keep using Lumia 1520 (which I've have been used since December 2013) until Surface Phone coming out.
P/S: I might give Microsoft team another chance that coming out an update next 2 weeks to fix most the problem people in this forum complain about. If not, this phone will be send back to Microsoft.

Ti P

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
battery dropped 10% when you sleeping? (from 12am -7am). Battery looks like drop even you don't use the phone. That's not good

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
battery dropped 10% when you sleeping? (from 12am -7am). Battery looks like drop even you don't use the phone. That's not good

of course it drops while you're sleeping..it's checking mail, updating cortana interests, checking for app updates, updating live tile info for all the apps you have pinned...etc. It's not like a flip phone that only activates when you press "send". If you want it to have zero battery drop, disable everything that makes it superior to a flip phone and you'll have flip-phone-like battery life. To do so...turn off wifi and cellular data. Boom...great battery life in standby.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
of course it drops while you're sleeping..it's checking mail, updating cortana interests, checking for app updates, updating live tile info for all the apps you have pinned...etc. It's not like a flip phone that only activates when you press "send". If you want it to have zero battery drop, disable everything that makes it superior to a flip phone and you'll have flip-phone-like battery life. To do so...turn off wifi and cellular data. Boom...great battery life in standby.

It should go into a doze mode if you are sleeping and the phone is idle for 25 mins or more there's no reason for it to be checking emails this should resume once active again here we go with excuses this is something Microsoft could have implemented

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Just listened to the windows today podcast and they are saying a surface phone is coming in second qtr the Lumia brand will be more low to midrange

Jayddo

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
You guys have unrealistic expectations and are unable to appreciate what's actually good.

Lumia 950 XL is slick and good, mine works very well and so does yours, given that battery life.

If you want to wait for a mythical device that will meet your expectations, go ahead and return it, but be warned: such a device will never exist, as your expectations are not of this world.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Whatever that guy is smoking, I want some of it too! Damnit, more than 20 hours of battery life and still complaining? Wow.

And for the nokia4life guy.. If you want to reduce battery consumption while sleeping, just put the phone into airplane mode and you're good. There won't be any background checks that require connectivity and practically dumbs the phone down as much as possible. So there's no real reason for Microsoft to introduce and develop a feature that most of us won't use anyways and that's actually been implemented already.

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
It should go into a doze mode if you are sleeping and the phone is idle for 25 mins or more there's no reason for it to be checking emails this should resume once active again here we go with excuses this is something Microsoft could have implemented

Don't be silly. How would the phone know you're asleep?

And if your phone is idle for 25 min, you'd want it to stop checking emails? I don't EVER want it to stop checking emails. I may not want the phone to notify me during certain hours, but I do want it to check and download new messages. That way, they'd be available the second I pick it up as opposed to me initiating some sort of sync.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 950 XL is the real "Surface Class" phone by Microsoft.
It's a Premium device, better than any other Premium iOS and Android flagship out there right now, and it will be the flagship Windows 10 Mobile phone for another year.

If you want a Premium Windows 10 Mobile phone made by Microsoft, 950 XL is the real deal, and it's out now.
If you want a "Surface-like" phone only for the metal materials, buy a 950 XL and put a metal back cover when available (soon).

Waiting for another year for a rumored mythical device that may or not may be the real "Surface Phone" is just stupid with those 950s beasts out there right now.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site

Here we go with the self-righteous users who think they know what's best for everyone. I, for one, wouldn't want such a mode since I want all my stuff to be up to date whenever I pick up my phone. But I also keep my phone on a charger at night. That said, it would be nice to have an option for such a mode...perhaps they could leverage the "critical battery" mode with an inactivity timer for those who would want such a thing.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Don't be silly. How would the phone know you're asleep?

And if your phone is idle for 25 min, you'd want it to stop checking emails? I don't EVER want it to stop checking emails. I may not want the phone to notify me during certain hours, but I do want it to check and download new messages. That way, they'd be available the second I pick it up as opposed to me initiating some sort of sync.

well it would do the something it does on marshmallow its called doze mode and its part of the new OS google implemented the phone realizes that it hasn't been picked up and looked at like at night when you are sleep and it turns off all services outside of radios but all that background emails and stuff takes a chill pill until you pick the phone up from resting and everything wakes up. what year are you in that you didn't think this couldn't happen wow. Just go look up android 6.0 Marshmallow features and this in turn dramatically improved battery life and I know this because I have the BB Priv which drains in about 14hrs and I have a nexus 6p which runs 6.0 vs 5.1 and it last about a day and half. Now my lumia 950xl i put it on the charger at 11pm take it off about 12 put it on my nightstand and at 6am begin my work day and by 6pm I am needing to charge it again and I am a casual user not a power user..

Marsiss Tian

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Battery life can be better if any larger capacity replacement battery is available.
Who knows where is the surface phone, and how can you tell if it's better or not.
Within the 30 days return window, wait for the first update at least.

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
well it would do the something it does on marshmallow its called doze mode and its part of the new OS google implemented the phone realizes that it hasn't been picked up and looked at like at night when you are sleep and it turns off all services outside of radios but all that background emails and stuff takes a chill pill until you pick the phone up from resting and everything wakes up. what year are you in that you didn't think this couldn't happen wow. Just go look up android 6.0 Marshmallow features and this in turn dramatically improved battery life and I know this because I have the BB Priv which drains in about 14hrs and I have a nexus 6p which runs 6.0 vs 5.1 and it last about a day and half. Now my lumia 950xl i put it on the charger at 11pm take it off about 12 put it on my nightstand and at 6am begin my work day and by 6pm I am needing to charge it again and I am a casual user not a power user..

Just because my phone "hasn't been picked up and looked at" doesn't mean I'm asleep. My former Samsung Note 3 and my current 950XL are big phones. When I get home, I put it down on a shelf where I put my house/car keys. I don't want to carry it with me around the house. But just because it's sitting there, I DON'T want it to think I'm asleep. I want it downloading messages and texts. Why? Because I also have the new Band 2. And because my phone is awake and receiving messages and texts, I get notified an immediate notification on my smartwatch. Even if I didn't have the Band--which I didn't until recently--my former Note 3 was set to notifify me via an audible alert that a message had arrived. I could hear it throughout the house and then, if I feel like it, I'd either go check the phone or read the email on my computer.

You said: "my lumia 950xl i put it on the charger at 11pm take it off about 12 put it on my nightstand and at 6am begin my work day and by 6pm I am needing to charge it again and I am a casual user not a power user.." You mean you charge it for 1 hour and then unplug it, leave it on your nightstand unplugged for 6 more hours while you sleep and then use the phone for another 12, making it 18 hours? I'm actually surprised that your phone needs charging after only 18 hours of casual use. But perhaps you could charge it at your bedside until 6am. 6pm is then only 12 hours later and I'm sure your 950XL would last until the without charging (depends on usage and screen brightness however).

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
950/xl; there is no Surface phone. You need to ask this question 6 - 9 months from now. In the meantime, get one of the new jewels and get up to speed just incase a Surface phone does come along. The 950/xl should retain good resale value for those that either can't afford or do not need Surface phone capabilities.

easyejl

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Now my lumia 950xl i put it on the charger at 11pm take it off about 12 put it on my nightstand and at 6am begin my work day and by 6pm I am needing to charge it again and I am a casual user not a power user..

that's not what the picture you posted above shows by any margin. You're still at 30% at 9pm.

IIDXholic

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
what I don't like is my phone turning off at like 8 or 9 percent and I cannot power it back you. You know that annoying crap when you kill your battery and need to wait like 10 minutes to turn back on

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss