Just another "Returning my 950" Thread ---- Help us Panos, You're Our Only Hope!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Sadly, the 950 has let me down. I've been faithful to WP / WM since 2002, but this "flagship" is just not ready for prime time. There is a reason that the ad budget for this embarrassment of phone is $0. Well, there are many. Here goes:

Screen is just not responsive enough. I touch it, and nothing happens. I have to touch it multiple times, all the time.
Build quality is bad. Back panel comes off way too easily.

On-Screen navigation buttons. I though I'd hate them, and I do. They are not responsive enough. They disappear in the OneDrive app all the time, when I need them. Let me choose my preferences about when they disappear in the system settings.

Everything about the touch input is slow. There is a lag / heaviness to everything I do, that I just did not ever feel before on Windows Phone. It is shockingly disappointing.

Brightness settings are a step back. No way to calibrate brightness. Setting on the notification bar are "25/50/75/100". I preferred "AUTO / Low / Med / High", whcih could then be further tuned in the DISPLAY settings. That's all gone.

No double tap to wake.

Android-like stuttering while scrolling through web pages.

Camera is not all that. "putting the "finishing touches" on images takes forever.

Bluetooth audio in may car sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies.

Cortana crashes all the time when doing web searches. This happened on my old 930, and it happens now too. Unacceptable.

Too slippery... Falls out of my pocket every time I sit down. Why does MS make these phones so slippery? That should be an easy one.

Outlook is still not finished. Notifications are very confusing to set up.

The whole OS has a half-baked feel.

Speaker is WEAK.

No store app update notifications, and no "last updated" date in the store app descriptions... Updates are a mystery unless you read blogs all day.

Lack of decent accessories.

So my Nexus 6P arrives tomorrow, and I'm gonna hate it. But at least it will work reliably. I'll be back for the Surface phone in a year or so. The OS should be up to par by then. I still have faith. I wouldn't be wasting my time writing this if I didn't.

Truth is, most of the issues with this phone could be solved with software updates. But I am not gonna stick around for months of Gabe Aul's "no build news to share today" tweets, when...
1) This phone requires weekly updates
2) There is still legacy functionality in Windows 10 that is flat out broken. (right click on your taskbar and choose "Show windows side by side"... see what happens.)

Yes, that's a vote of no confidence. So please, Panos, win me back! If he smiles at all during the next press conference, that's how I'll know he's got a winner. But I cannot be productive like a boss with the 950. Not now. Not yet.

Yeah, I'm not having any of these issues.

Joel S.

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I once ordered a steak from a restaurant, but they overcooked the hell out of it, so I sent it back. Buyer beware.

Dolemike

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I've had the 950 since launch day and I've used it for both business and personal for hours a day with none of the issues you've listed below. Either you got a lemon or are just jumping to conclusions on certain items. I've made comments below:

Sadly, the 950 has let me down. I've been faithful to WP / WM since 2002, but this "flagship" is just not ready for prime time. There is a reason that the ad budget for this embarrassment of phone is $0. Well, there are many. Here goes:

Screen is just not responsive enough. I touch it, and nothing happens. I have to touch it multiple times, all the time.
Build quality is bad. Back panel comes off way too easily. My back case doesn't come off without a good amount of pressure.

On-Screen navigation buttons. I though I'd hate them, and I do. They are not responsive enough. They disappear in the OneDrive app all the time, when I need them. Let me choose my preferences about when they disappear in the system settings. Swiping up on the navigation buttons will hide/show them anywhere within the OS.

Everything about the touch input is slow. There is a lag / heaviness to everything I do, that I just did not ever feel before on Windows Phone. It is shockingly disappointing. This could be due to installed applications.

Brightness settings are a step back. No way to calibrate brightness. Setting on the notification bar are "25/50/75/100". I preferred "AUTO / Low / Med / High", whcih could then be further tuned in the DISPLAY settings. That's all gone. The brightness settings in the notification bar is a QUICKSET feature. You have COMPLETE control over this if you go to SETTINGS -> SYSTEM -> DISPLAY.

No double tap to wake.

Android-like stuttering while scrolling through web pages.

Camera is not all that. "putting the "finishing touches" on images takes forever.

Bluetooth audio in may car sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies. This could be an incompatibility with your car's bluetooth. My 920 never worked with my Jeep, but worked with my wife's car.

Cortana crashes all the time when doing web searches. This happened on my old 930, and it happens now too. Unacceptable.Do you have the same applications installed? I've found that certain installed apps can cause other apps to crash

Too slippery... Falls out of my pocket every time I sit down. Why does MS make these phones so slippery? That should be an easy one. Buy a case.

Outlook is still not finished. Notifications are very confusing to set up. What do you mean by notifications? If you're referring to creating live tiles for inboxes, it's very simple. Open Outlook, press the hamburger icon, long press the inbox you want to pin and click pin to start.

The whole OS has a half-baked feel.

Speaker is WEAK. You very well may have a lemon - the speaker on mine is ridiculously loud AND clear.

No store app update notifications, and no "last updated" date in the store app descriptions... Updates are a mystery unless you read blogs all day.

Lack of decent accessories. You do realize the phone JUST came out, right?

So my Nexus 6P arrives tomorrow, and I'm gonna hate it. But at least it will work reliably. I'll be back for the Surface phone in a year or so. The OS should be up to par by then. I still have faith. I wouldn't be wasting my time writing this if I didn't.

Truth is, most of the issues with this phone could be solved with software updates. But I am not gonna stick around for months of Gabe Aul's "no build news to share today" tweets, when...
1) This phone requires weekly updates
2) There is still legacy functionality in Windows 10 that is flat out broken. (right click on your taskbar and choose "Show windows side by side"... see what happens.)

Yes, that's a vote of no confidence. So please, Panos, win me back! If he smiles at all during the next press conference, that's how I'll know he's got a winner. But I cannot be productive like a boss with the 950. Not now. Not yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Something else that MAY affect performance.... crap quality MicroSD cards. Slow cards, like anything below a class 10 should not be used. Also, since fake SD cards are too easy to get a hold of, they can cause serious issues. It's even possible to get Fake cards from reputable sellers (a friend got a fake 128GB sandisk from amazon, my guess, someone returned a fake)

testing an SD card on a PC is simple, but time consuming. Apps can be found online like H2testw, FakeFlashTest, ChipGenius and more. Most fakes I have found tend to be either 512MB or 2GB pretending to be 16GB or 32GB, but the larger ones are staring to become more common.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've had the 950 since launch day and I've used it for both business and personal for hours a day with none of the issues you've listed below. Either you got a lemon or are just jumping to conclusions on certain items. I've made comments below:

I think this is the most likely scenario. Not that you happened to have an ok experience and he did not. Its also entirely possible that the other guy is just to picky or not patient enough.

Maybe there is a problem with the build quality or the software is buggy enough that if you set one setting differently it crashes. Who knows, but may as well just call the poster a liar.

Last edited by a moderator:

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I think you just need a hard reset and patience-the OS is in beta, you knew that getting in.

If phones are shipping (or I can walk into AT&T and buy it) with this OS on it, it's released and not in beta anymore. And if you think it's in beta based on the number of issues people seem to be having and yet it's shipped, then it's not ready.

My impression based on the comments here on the forum are that it's just not quite baked enough. Passable, but not robust.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Friendly reminder folks.........
[INFO]
P.U.P.P.A.H
(Be Polite, Understanding, Patient, Professional, Attentive and Helpful)
  • Be polite. We ask that you keep your language clean and polite.
  • Be understanding and patient. You may be a power user or developer, but the person you?re talking to on the other end may be a complete newbie. Be patient, and provide all details possible if you?re posting about a problem (descriptive thread title always helps).
  • Be a pro. Don?t get into arguments over dumb things. If someone responds in a poor or rude fashion, ignore it. If you notice a pattern of rude or poor behavior from a particular member, report them to our moderators. If you don?t have anything nice to say, don?t say anything at all. In a nutshell, ?think before you post?.
  • Be attentive and helpful. Answer questions in a timely manner when you can, and provide thoughts and suggestions that might lead to the solution of a members? problem.
[/INFO]

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I think you just need a hard reset and patience-the OS is in beta, you knew that getting in. I also read where you can put some plastic wrap inside the cover and make it less prone to falling off and creaking. Some people have no problems with the phones. You are jumping ship too early!

Hard reset, OS still in beta, plastic wrap mod. You would think MS has never released a phone before.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Hard reset, OS still in beta, plastic wrap mod. You would think MS has never released a phone before.

It's a new OS from the ground up. It will be fixed after a couple of updates. And in the next year or so universal apps and islandwood will help cement windows phone in the number three spot. You just need to keep your phone at all costs! I have no problem with mine...

Are more of the other things that do not help someone having a bad time with a phone he just bought and now regrets.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Please seek the other threads in this forum that are discussing returning your 950.
Another thread about this is not needed.
Thanks to all who have participated.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99