Love my 950

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
So I purchased the 950 at release. I was hesitant about doing it since my 830 was working just fine, and I really didn't need it. The 830 literally had everything I needed, but I had the technolust for something current, plus it was my main computing device. So, with the knowledge that it could be returned I took the plunge.

It was everything that I expected. But didn't blow my mind.

• The screen was gorgeous. Crisp.
  • It was light in hand.
  • Thin and Sleek
  • Great Camera
  • SD Card Support

The only real issues I was having with it was heat and battery life seemed to drop quickly.

After playing with the settings, and turning off "Hey Cortana" both of the issues above are in the past.

What I am left with now is a solid device. Its fast, if not a little buggy. Messaging app crashes once in a while, and the phone reboots maybe once every 3 days. Neither of these things bother me much.

I have become very attached to this phone. I love taking it out of the case just to hold it. The crisp glace screen makes me cringe when I look at my wife's 830. The deep blacks of the amoled screen give me what I have wanted in a Nokia/Microsoft phone since my 925 died of water damage. The camera has brought back my love of taking pictures again (that I haven't experienced since my 1520).

Maybe I am exactly the demographic that Microsoft made this phone for, but I am truly glad I purchased this it.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
not enough of these kinds of posts.

I too love my 950, and have not had anywhere near the amount of issues others have been reporting.

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
and sure to get better as the updates start rolling out. I remember when I got my Surface 3 and upgraded to Win10. I was going crazy with all the bugs and issues. Now, after all the updates my S3 is running pretty darn good and I suspect it will only get better after more updates are released over the never several months.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
and sure to get better as the updates start rolling out. I remember when I got my Surface 3 and upgraded to Win10. I was going crazy with all the bugs and issues. Now, after all the updates my S3 is running pretty darn good and I suspect it will only get better after more updates are released over the never several months.

Same with my Surface Pro 2.... some VERY annoying sleep issues that persisted even after a clean install. Now, it's as if it's built for Windows 10.

I expect the same from my 950 in a few weeks-months. After a few updates and we'll have a great Windows 10 phone

vhl71

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
Had the Lumia 950 for 5 days now. Love the crisp screen and the fact it's so light. Beginning to really like the phone.

But today I noticed a lot of lag. I restarted the phone already and it's still the same. Not sure it's a temporary issue ir something that causes the OS to slow down.

Coming from BlackBerry, I've the option of buying the passport and return this to the store. Considering that also .

Sent from mTalk

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Traded my Nokia Lumia 925 in at the Microsoft store for the 950. So far I really like the new OS apart from some minor bugs.
Like how the tiles open up like iOS insted of page flipping. Very clear screen and an excellent camera.
Been using Lumia devices since my first in 2012 with Nokia Lumia 810.Great phone with a removable back and battery.Glad Microsoft went back to this.

rambo47

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
"... after a few updates..." Wow, that's some optimism. But I'd rather have a great mobile phone **right now**. Who buys a phone for what it might become one day? I'll wait until Microsoft actually gets it right. Lots of potential, but until they sort out these issues it's just that - potential.

Nick Metro

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
So I purchased the 950 at release. I was hesitant about doing it since my 830 was working just fine, and I really didn't need it. The 830 literally had everything I needed, but I had the technolust for something current, plus it was my main computing device. So, with the knowledge that it could be returned I took the plunge.

It was everything that I expected. But didn't blow my mind.

• The screen was gorgeous. Crisp.
  • It was light in hand.
  • Thin and Sleek
  • Great Camera
  • SD Card Support

The only real issues I was having with it was heat and battery life seemed to drop quickly.

After playing with the settings, and turning off "Hey Cortana" both of the issues above are in the past.

What I am left with now is a solid device. Its fast, if not a little buggy. Messaging app crashes once in a while, and the phone reboots maybe once every 3 days. Neither of these things bother me much.

I have become very attached to this phone. I love taking it out of the case just to hold it. The crisp glace screen makes me cringe when I look at my wife's 830. The deep blacks of the amoled screen give me what I have wanted in a Nokia/Microsoft phone since my 925 died of water damage. The camera has brought back my love of taking pictures again (that I haven't experienced since my 1520).

Maybe I am exactly the demographic that Microsoft made this phone for, but I am truly glad I purchased this it.

Could not agree more. I'm on day 3 with the 950 and like it more each day. I actually gave serious thought to getting an iPhone on the way to pick up the 950. So glad I didn't.

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I love mine too.:love: I am a former 1520 ( Tablet owner .... It seems that big) For the 1st time I'm actually using a phone without case . I do have a screen protector and a case for when I leave the house.

It feels soooo good in my hands:love: . This is a big surprise . I haven't experienced any of the reboots . I refuse to post any negative software bugs on a new Phone , OS because they do not get in the way of all the great features . I know MS will fix loose screws.

Besides .. I'm not married to it .. Its a phone!!!!!!, with a life cycle and I will get the next cool one that drops ( smile).I don't like Apple and Android is 2nd Rate ( Apps are over rated ,, go make some new friends or something sheesh ) ha ha ha

That's what the Desktop - Laptop and Surface is for ...

tanders04#WN

May 28, 2014
Visit site
"... after a few updates..." Wow, that's some optimism. But I'd rather have a great mobile phone **right now**. Who buys a phone for what it might become one day? I'll wait until Microsoft actually gets it right. Lots of potential, but until they sort out these issues it's just that - potential.

Eh, YMMV. I think it is a great phone right now.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
On my 3rd day as well. Had the Icon prior and wasn't too much of a difference spec wise just the new features. Seems the keyboard is a little slow, some apps didn't make it but ohh well. Got the tempered glass screen protector and case on first day. Never had a screen protector but I always get a clear case to show the phone off. Only bad thing about the case is that doesn't go above the screen so if it falls the screen takes the damage. Wanted the 950 xl but wanted everyone on the same carrier so I just got it, no regrets so far.

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I remember when I got my Surface 3 and upgraded to Win10. I was going crazy with all the bugs and issues. Now, after all the updates my S3 is running pretty darn good and I suspect it will only get better after more updates are released over the never several months.

I had the same experience with S3. It was really awful when I upgraded to Win 10. The battery life was the worst. Like OP said he did with 950, I turned off Hey Cortana. Now after the updates, Hey Cortana is back on and my battery life is back to where it was with 8.1.

I'm planning to leave my 1020 behind and get a 950 in the near future, but not until I'm done with some upcoming travel. I had to restrain myself the other day at the AT&T store, but I resisted. I really don't have time to fuss with setup right now.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
how do you turn cortana off? I have just purchased the 950.
Congratulations on your new 950! If you launch Cortana, in the upper left-hand corner, there are some horizontal lines - the 'hamburger'. Selecting this will bring up the Cortana menu. From there, choose Notebook / Settings. This will let you turn on / off Cortana and Hey Cortana. The OP may have been referring to Hey Cortana, rather than just Cortana.

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I too am loving my new 950. Very sleek and light, beautiful display. So far, any bugs I've found have been either caused by me, or solvable by some setting adjustments. I haven't see anything catastrophic or even serious. I guess the nature of these forums is that people tend to post problems, so it seems like there are a ton of issues. But I would expect the majority of users are enjoying the new 950 / XL, and just not posting about it. Glad this thread was started! As stated by the OP, maybe I'm just the target audience for this device, but I'm loving it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa