Love my 950

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I had the same experience with S3. It was really awful when I upgraded to Win 10. The battery life was the worst. Like OP said he did with 950, I turned off Hey Cortana. Now after the updates, Hey Cortana is back on and my battery life is back to where it was with 8.1.

I'm planning to leave my 1020 behind and get a 950 in the near future, but not until I'm done with some upcoming travel. I had to restrain myself the other day at the AT&T store, but I resisted. I really don't have time to fuss with setup right now.

Which updates are your referring to?

KrisYYC

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I too am loving my 950 so far. Only issue is Outlook Mail not showing images in emails and not displaying HTML email correctly. My battery life has been good and no reboots or anything.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been using a Lumia 950 for 9 days now. No problems at all, the phone is fast and responsive. I haven't seen any bugs or poor performance issues.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Love the Lumia 950 XL more. Battery life seems very good. Getting close to my Lumia 640's battery life. It gets me through the day. 5.7" AMOLED screen, awesome camera, microSD, wireless charging, quick charge, good call quality are all the things I want in a phone. Windows 10 mobile is better than WP8.1, though needs more polish.

soil2oil

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
I picked up 2 and am having no issues with either that won't be fixed with upcoming software updates, really makes me question validity to some of the same retread complaint posts I've seen.
Very happy with 950 in almost every sense, seeing as how they can't do everything I want I'm more than fine with this phone

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I too am loving my 950 so far. Only issue is Outlook Mail not showing images in emails and not displaying HTML email correctly. My battery life has been good and no reboots or anything.
I wasn't getting images in my email for the first few days, but now they're showing up. I don't think I've received any software updates that would have changed this. No idea why it started working.

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Which updates are your referring to?

The November OS update and the firmware updates for S3. In my case they came within a day or 2 of each other. For some reason I didn't receive the July firmware update until November. In fact, it came twice, the first time a day or so before the November OS update and then again a day or so after the November update. At this point the only issues on S3 are the same ones on my desktop and (so I read) on WP 10 ... the live tiles that don't work properly.

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't going to upgrade from my 830, however got an early Xmas prezzie yesterday!

So far I'm happy, it's faster, I don't recall seeing any "resuming" messages, and it's using about the same amount of battery power as my 830, so should get a couple days out of it, even with Skype, LinkedIn, Twitter & Facebook etc running toasts in the background. Hey Cortana works a dream, however the Windows Hello does require you to be a little too close (then I would have expected) for it to work, hopefully MSFT updates it to give a better reading from a 'normal' distance.

I'm not a photographer, but I'm very happy with the quality of images I've seen so far, even tried the Slow Motion video, though didn't seem to have the same impact as watching a normal slow-motion video, but that could be me!

G.

KrisYYC

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I wasn't getting images in my email for the first few days, but now they're showing up. I don't think I've received any software updates that would have changed this. No idea why it started working.

Interesting. You didn't do a hard reset at some point did you?

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
Ever since I did a hard reset, the phone is working great No issues to speak of. No reboots in 2 days. Have been very happy with Win10 so far. Best Lumia I have owned yet. Excellent screen,camera and very quick and responsive.. This will hopefully be my last phone for a while.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
I was gung-ho for the XL...got one on launch day. I grew tired of no VVM, no HD Voice and no native support for AT&T. Returned it and got a 950. Muuuch better. The XL's 810 and size isn't necessary. The 950 just feels right and works fantastically with AT&T. No ragrets.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I was gung-ho for the XL...got one on launch day. I grew tired of no VVM, no HD Voice and no native support for AT&T. Returned it and got a 950. Muuuch better. The XL's 810 and size isn't necessary. The 950 just feels right and works fantastically with AT&T. No ragrets.

The 810 would be nice, but the 808 is great none the less.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Love my Lumia 950

There are too many complaints in these forums about the Lumia 950. I thought I would post something different based on my experience.

I actually have 2 phones, one on AT&T, which was a Lumia 920 and is now replaced with a Lumia 950. I also have a Lumia Icon on Verizon. I have them both provided through work because I need to make sure I have service for my job. I use them both as hotspots when needed as well. The Lumia Icon was my go to device, I really like it other than it's terrible wifi signal. Since getting the 950, I feel like it blows away the Icon. Here is a small list of things I really like with the 950.

Screen is very sharp and bright.
Glance Screen
Windows Hello (though this doesn't work all the time, it's in beta)
The phone is extremely lite and thin
I really like the on screen buttons (Back, Home, Search). I like the extra screen real-estate and it just works as expected. I think it also opens up the doors to do other things in the future, like additional buttons, etc.
This phone is fast, no sluggishness at all
Batter life lasts me all day
I'm able to use my wireless charger that my 920 used
The phone charges extremely fast with the wall charger
The single speaker on the back is extremely loud
Phone quality is great
Cell and WiFi signals are very strong
The screen is very smooth to the touch, smoother than my Icon.
The Mics are very good and understanding me when dictating to the phone
The camera quality is awesome and very fast (Pic and Video)
Excited to try Continuum sometime

Any downsides to the phone are really just OS related like Windows Hello. I really like this phone and the Windows 10 OS. I actually can't think of any Apps that I'm missing either. I use the following apps on a regular basis and am happy with them.

Windows Central
Outlook Mail/Calendar
Wunderlist
Life360
Facebook
Facebook Messenger
News
Runtastic
myAppFree
eBay
OneNote
OneDrive
Weather
Asphalt 8: Airbourne
Blue Iris Companion
LastPass
LDS Tools
Gospel Library Beta
Camera
Photos
myTube

Blashkyrk

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
So far so good

I have now had my Unlocked 950 for a couple of days.
To balance up all the bad reviews I want to give a positive one (but still honest) from my personal view.
I come from a Lumia 1020 and WP8.1 and before that it was an Samsung Galaxy S2 and other Androids.

Compared to the 1020 this is much lighter and thinner. This also means that some of the "robustness" that I felt the 1020 had is lost. Not saying this is all bad, just a different feel. As the 1020 is lacking removable back piece it's obvious that the 950 will not have the same feeling. The buttons were more solid on the 1020 for sure. The new buttons does not feel as good as the old ones but they work just fine and I'll looking forward to test the Mozo cover.

The screen is awesome. I have no issues with color or brightness and the resolution is great. I have bought a Panzer glass cover (tempered glass) and so far it's been great. No problems with the touchscreen at all. Feels good with the extra protection.
I have not tested the camera that much but compared to the 1020 it's lightning fast and from the few pictures I've taken so far I am impressed.

The OS is still a bit raw and have some issues but nothing major that I have discovered yet. Compared to earlier builds that I ran on my 1020 its awesome. I opted to NOT restore any backup when installing it. It felt like the right thing to do and I also like doing the setup and exploring all the new things.

The battery time has been fine if not great so far. It is better than my old 1020 running 8.1. I realize that this will differ from user to user but I always come home from work (8 hours) with plenty (> 60-50%) of battery left. Only thing I've turned off is Edge pre-render and also turned off Edge background task. Windows Hello is working but I feel that it is still not there yet. I find myself using pin-code as often as login in with the Iris scanner.

I have one active sync (Exchange account) and one IMAP account configured and the mail apps i working as it should. Facebook app is still not great but not worse than on 8.1. I have not had the time to test Continuum yet. There is an app-gap for sure but what annoys me the most is that if the app do exists it's almost always not as good as the one for iPhone or Android. And that is also true for the Microsoft apps which is very discomforting for the future.

Early sum up:
Great screen, SD-card support, Removable battery, USB-C, Wireless charging, One of the best cameras, Good battery performance (for me).
What's not to like?
...perhaps that buttons, the OS which is getting there though and the App-gap or rather App-quality.

This is my initial review after a few days. It might change with time, who knows!? I just felt that it was so much negative comments around that I needed to give my impression that is mostly positive.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: So far so good

how did you turn off Edge pre-render and also turned off Edge background tasks, I might try that, i'm not sure what i'm expecting with battery life, but I w as impressed with my 640 and this one does seem to be more juicy. for instance I had 100% at 7am this morning, i'm at 57% now as I type this, and I haven't made a call, i've been on maps and some emails and my Philips hue app and that's about it. maybe expecting too much i'm not sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss