How to reboot (not just shutdown then power on) the 950XL?

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
How do I reboot (restart) the 950XL?

I know I can shut it down and then wait some amount of time and then restart it, but is there a way to just restart it without the shutdown-wait-power-on dance?

The current process is made more annoying because I don't know exactly when the 950XL has completely shutdown and thus I don't know when to hit the power button.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Just pressing the power button does nothing :) Simply turns the phone on and off.. Soft/hard resets are different beasts :/

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks but I definitely don't want to reset my phone(!) That is, I don't want to, quote: "... return it to the same state it was in the first time you turned it on. All your personal content will be erased, and the phone will be restored to its factory settings." Yikes.

I just want to reboot it easier.

Simply, instead of a dialog that only says "swipe down to shutdown", offer one that gives the additional option of restarting.

Is this so complicated? It's Windows 10. Windows has had this option in their PC products since the beginning. Why not with Windows Phone 10?

jmf337

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
Hold volume down and power for a few seconds. It will vibrate then let go and it will restart, soft reset I believe.

Kyle Stilkey

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks but I definitely don't want to reset my phone(!) That is, I don't want to, quote: "... return it to the same state it was in the first time you turned it on. All your personal content will be erased, and the phone will be restored to its factory settings." Yikes.

Simply, instead of a dialog that only says "swipe down to shutdown", offer one that gives the additional option of restarting.

Is this so complicated? It's Windows 10. Windows has had this option in their PC products since the beginning. Why not with Windows Phone 10?

Yes...No someone already gave you an answer, holding just the power button for 10 seconds restarts the phone it doesn't reset it back to factory settings. From reading why you want to do it and what you think is happening you really don't understand what the phone does, just from reading what your trying to do.

Pressing the power button doesn't shutdown the device, it just locks the phone, you hit it again and it will unlock.

Holding it to swipe down to shutdown does just like a PC and turns the device off. When the lights turn off on the device just simply click the power button for a second will boot it back on. You can't do anything during these process to damage the device in anyway.

Holding the power button for 10 seconds will reset the device automatically but I only reccomend this process if your phone becomes stuck/frozen.

Holding the Power+Volume down does the same step as above.

While the phone is turning back on, if you hold the volume rocker up or down it will bring up options to reset the device to factory image or other ways of doing things. While its turning on don't press/hold them if you don't want to reset the device to factory image.

If you hit the power button while the device shuts down, your doing nothing more then just locking the screen, the phone will continue to shutdown and turn off, this doesn't hurt anything.

Hope that helps explain something's better for you.

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, JMF. That works. But it's an awkward way of doing it.

Microsoft: just offer a reboot option and not just one for shutdown.

Spelling it out:

If a user does a long press of the on/off button, give him 3 options:

1) shutdown
2) restart
3) cancel

Too hard?

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the fuller explanation, Kyle. They should copy and paste your post into that Windows Phone reset article.

See my reply to JMF. I'm just after a simple way to restart the phone. Perhaps Windows Phone 10 will be more stable than the OS (Android) I came from. That one needed a reboot once in a while to keep it stable (memory leaks and all that). Today, I'm trying to cure an Outlook problem where it was recommended that I restart the phone after making some changes. So I needed a better way than shutdown-wait-power-on. Had to vent.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Lol if you read the article carefully, the part which I told you to start at, it would've simply soft resetted the phone.. nothing would be wiped away

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Lol if you read the article carefully, the part which I told you to start at, it would've simply soft resetted the phone.. nothing would be wiped away
I do think that the power+voldown reboot kills running processes. It's not quite as gentle as shutdown + restart, at least I don't think it is. Then again, I might be making this up.

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site

I read that poorly written article. Nowhere did it say "it would've simply soft resetted the phone.. nothing would be wiped away[". There was no definition of a "soft reset". The one definition of "reset", in the first paragraph, stated clearly it would return it to the factory state (i.e., wipe it).

Looking at the end of the article, a better article to link would have been this one:

Restart my Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

However, and I refer to my earlier post (#9), it would have been simpler to just offer the option to restart instead of only to shutdown after a long press of the on/off button.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I read that poorly written article. Nowhere did it say "it would've simply soft resetted the phone.. nothing would be wiped away[". There was no definition of a "soft reset". The one definition of "reset", in the first paragraph, stated clearly it would return it to the factory state (i.e., wipe it).

Valid point :) Perhaps I should've been clearer when answering :) I did suggest reading from a certain point, but I should've stated the difference. My apologies

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I do think that the power+voldown reboot kills running processes. It's not quite as gentle as shutdown + restart, at least I don't think it is. Then again, I might be making this up.

Yes it does :) And I thought that's what the OP was after

trekster

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Chavas. But I'm still not happy that it's not available by default. It's a trivial thing to have in place and it's not some sort of kooky request.

I'm new to Windows Phone and have jumped right into 10 via the 950XL. Was reboot never offered before in previous versions of WP?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786