Moved from a Lumia 1320 to a Lumia 640 XL. What am I missing?

Rangan Das

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, the logic board of my Lumia 1320 died and I swapped it with a 640 XL. I totally adore the camera - ISO 3200, 4 s shutter and Rich Capture. However, I am missing a few things.

1. No camera shutter button. I desperately needed that. But, I guess I'll adjust. No hardware navigation buttons either.
2. One less tile in the action center. I will have a hard time getting used to this one.
3. The UI generally looks scaled up. Texts look larger than it used to do on my L1320, especially in WhatsApp.
4. Cannot set a background in the Glance Screen.
5. No LTE. But that's the version I opted for.

The scaled up UI and the glance is bugging me for now. Is there anything that I have not noticed - that was in L1320 and is not in L640XL (non-LTE version.)?

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
If you're on 8.1, bummer. If you're on 10, there's actually a way to scale the UI so it's smaller (did it on my 920, and got the 5th action center button).

mjyumping

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, the logic board of my Lumia 1320 died and I swapped it with a 640 XL. I totally adore the camera - ISO 3200, 4 s shutter and Rich Capture. However, I am missing a few things.

1. No camera shutter button. I desperately needed that. But, I guess I'll adjust. No hardware navigation buttons either.
2. One less tile in the action center. I will have a hard time getting used to this one.
3. The UI generally looks scaled up. Texts look larger than it used to do on my L1320, especially in WhatsApp.
4. Cannot set a background in the Glance Screen.
5. No LTE. But that's the version I opted for.

The scaled up UI and the glance is bugging me for now. Is there anything that I have not noticed - that was in L1320 and is not in L640XL (non-LTE version.)?

Just few more things to add,
1. Smaller screen (a little bit)
2. There's no Nokia logo
3. You would lose some muscles

As for the status of my 1320, I have changed the microphone board/usb port board before myself and phone still good after nearly 2 years of everyday use. Next stop I would change it's battery because it's getting old.

Rangan Das

May 1, 2014
Visit site
On my 1320, I was using 10. But the Microsoft Store guy said that installing insider builds will kill the warranty. I am not sure about doing it right now. Plus, I heard that 640 XL will get W10M early.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
On my 1320, I was using 10. But the Microsoft Store guy said that installing insider builds will kill the warranty. I am not sure about doing it right now. Plus, I heard that 640 XL will get W10M early.

They say that for legal reasons, just incase. It isn't hard to revert it back to 8.1 anyways.

Rangan Das

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Apparently, Weather details cannot be displayed in Glance, along with the current day, and date. It was there on both WP8.1 and W10M on my 1320.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Apparently, Weather details cannot be displayed in Glance, along with the current day, and date. It was there on both WP8.1 and W10M on my 1320.
This is because of the chipset/memory I believe. There's no way to get around this, your only option is to get a phone that supports full Glance.

Rangan Das

May 1, 2014
Visit site
If you're on 8.1, bummer. If you're on 10, there's actually a way to scale the UI so it's smaller (did it on my 920, and got the 5th action center button).

I was using W10M on my 1320 for a while now. The UI just looks really bad.
Moreover, I just noticed now that Lumia Camera 5 has no bass filter for Video recording.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
neither full glance nor touch sensitivity are available on latest W10M build 10586.36. That is not to say it will never be available, but I am pessimistic. Maybe there will be a way via a registry hack at some point. Dolby would be nice but I can live with the virtual surround in the Equalizer sysapp.
It's also possible that at least the glance screen may be enabled via a third party app. E.g. I installed LockTemp app that shows the temperature on the lock screen (note that it works perfectly fine in the free version). I found out that it actually shows the temperature also on the glance screen. That tells me there is something possible here via third party apps.

ps: "The UI just looks really bad." is personal taste. I think MS gave its users a good opportunity to shape that in at least some way via the windows insider program. I actually like it and would not want to go back to 8.1 (e.g. as mentioned above already, you can scale text, apps and items on the display). I am sure once W10M is out for a while all third party apps will follow the scaling as well.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett