Did Gabe Aul just confirm that MS is bypassing carriers for the 950?

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Unless I'm missing some hidden meaning behind this message, I think Gabe just confirmed that they're bypassing carriers and pushing out updates to all 950 users.

https://twitter.com/GabeAul/statuses/672952458058981376

I've suspected that one of the requirements for a carrier selling the 950 is that Microsoft is the one that has the final say when an update goes out.

Or maybe Microsoft can push out 10586.XX updates and need carrier approval to send out new builds.

Idk, either way, something is up.

Edit: Le sigh, I figured that the title might have been too long. I'm on my phone, so I'll change it later.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Re: Interesting wording by Gabe: "[the most recent build] would go out to all 950 users after inside

Here you go:
This is just to Insiders, but would go out to all 950 users after Insiders have used it and given thumbs up

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Interesting wording by Gabe: "[the most recent build] would go out to all 950 users after inside

You guys read way too much into Gabe's twitter post.... lol.

it says nothing about carriers. All he is talking about is including the 950/xl in the insider preview and making the latest build available to them.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

You guys read way too much into Gabe's twitter post.... lol.

it says nothing about carriers. All he is talking about is including the 950/xl in the insider preview and making the latest build available to them.

I could see how someone might interpret it that way, but he would've then said "all 950 insiders" or something like that. Gabe carefully crafts his tweets to not send users into a frenzy, so it would make the most logical sense that he means everything he says. There are 100 ways to say it, but he explicitly said "all 950 users".

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

IF they aren't pushing out a firmware update I see no reason for carrier approval. As long as atts apps work.

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

When will the OS be retail ready? Any idea which version # will reflect an actual release of Windows 10 for the phones?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I could see how someone might interpret it that way, but he would've then said "all 950 insiders" or something like that. Gabe carefully crafts his tweets to not send users into a frenzy, so it would make the most logical sense that he means everything he says. There are 100 ways to say it, but he explicitly said "all 950 users".
He didn't say when it would go out to all 950 users. Could be four months from now after carriers approve.

I'm not believing any "going around carriers" claim until it is practically proven... world wide

Last edited:

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has said all along that carriers would be out of the loop on Windows 10 Mobile updates.
Same thing when the other phones receive the official update, After they are on 10 the carriers are out of the loop.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft has said all along that carriers would be out of the loop on Windows 10 Mobile updates.
Same thing when the other phones receive the official update, After they are on 10 the carriers are out of the loop.

That announcement was buried in a blog post that was almost entirely about W10. W10M was only mentioned in passing:

And today, we’re announcing this continuous update process applies to all Windows 10 devices, including phones.
source

The above statement is far too vague to be sure what exactly is being said. I don't see anything in that statement guaranteeing that carriers aren't still somehow involved. It may be, but as far as I'm concerned, it also may be that people are just hearing what they want to hear (IMHO the more likely scenario) rather than what was actually said...

Nowhere did MS directly state that carriers are out of the loop. Until they do, I'll remain sceptical.

We'll know soon enough. If WP devices of the same type aren't updated world wide on the same day, then we can be pretty sure that carriers are still involved.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I would love Microsoft to push around carriers, but we have no evidence that it could be happening. It could be like in the WP8 timeframe, where MS could push out software, the OS updates to users via the Dev Preview program, but firmware updates that affect phone operation can only be pushed out by the carriers.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

He didn't say when it would go out to all 950 users. Could be four months from now after carriers approve.

I'm not believing any "going around carriers" claim until it is practically proven... world wide

Actually, he did in his original tweet. He says that it will go out to all 950 users "after insiders have used it and given a thumbs up".

Which could still, in theory, mean 4 months after insiders have approved it, but it seems like an odd way to say that.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

Actually, he did in his original tweet. He says that it will go out to all 950 users "after insiders have used it and given a thumbs up".

Which could still, in theory, mean 4 months after insiders have approved it, but it seems like an odd way to say that.

I don't read it that way, I see it as saying that it will be cleared for distribution (through the carriers) after being tested by insiders. But he wasn't clear in that post, so it could be either way.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

Then I would systematically block all Windows Phone devices from getting onto Windows 10 and any Windows 10 devices caught on the network would have their IMEI blocked on ALL carriers, were I the owner of a US carrier. That's the power the US carriers have.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
lol, well congratulations. Looks like you may have been right, at least for the L950.

It remains to be seen how this plays out for all the existing devices on various networks however. I'm still very sceptical that much will have changed on that front. Could it be that the ability to circumvent carriers only applies to the new devices for which MS might have renegotiated the update policies? That's what the article you linked to suggests.

If true, that would still mean the generally accepted claim (with W10M MS will circumvent carriers) is false. That ability would then be tied more to particular models than to the OS. That would seem far more believable to me anyway.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
lol, well congratulations. Looks like you may have been right, at least for the L950.

It remains to be seen how this plays out for all the existing devices on various networks however. I'm still very sceptical that much will have changed on that front. Could it be that the ability to circumvent carriers only applies to the new devices for which MS might have renegotiated the update policies? That's what the article you linked to suggests.

If true, that would still mean the generally accepted claim (with W10M MS will circumvent carriers) is false. That ability would then be tied more to particular models than to the OS. That would seem far more believable to me anyway.

Technically, I didn't write the current headline lol. Mine was too long and a mod changed it before I could.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Technically, I didn't write the current headline lol. Mine was too long and a mod changed it before I could.

^ Didn't it just quote Gabe and add ask the question it currently is still asking? Anyway, tell me what the title should have been and I'll change it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3