I Love My Lumia 950 XL Thread

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Every time a phone has come out all I see (well most) are the complaints and defects, even popular threads that talk about getting rid of the phone... So I thought it's only appropriate to make a thread that talks about how and why you love your 950XL.

I have had the Lumia 920 since November 2012, and I have to admit that at first when the renders of 950 and 950XL were coming out I was skeptical and a bit disappointed, thinking "Is this really the phone I waited 3 years for?" But when it was finally released I have to say the specs were everything I wanted and more. Beast processor, (finally) expandable memory, more RAM, better cameras, liquid cooling, light and thin body, wireless charging, USB-C, dual-SIM, etc..., and most importantly, it is the first flagship Windows 10 Mobile phone!

Am I discouraged to discover the creaking back cover? Surely a bit, but it was a simple and basically permanent fix. Yes, I know a $850 (CDN) phone should not do that, but a lot of phones have defects during launch, compared to those this "defect" is as minor as it can get. I just couldn't wait any longer to get my hands on this phone. Am I concerned about the app gap and the fact that even some windows 8.1 apps cannot be found in the Store? Yes, but rather than complaining about it, I am submitting feedback all the time and requesting features from developers, also looking forward to the development of Project Islandwood.

Anyways, people are subject to have their opinions, but I personally am very happy with my Lumia 950 XL, I think it is a beautifully made (not ground-breaking and award-winning by any means), powerful and reliable. And to me that's what a modern smartphone should be about. Friends are quite impressed by it, and few was shocked when they found out the phone is in fact not uni-body. And to hear that the Surface Phone is finally actually in the works, I did not regret getting the 950 XL, but instead got excited that my next phone won't be another 3 years away, while waiting for it I can enjoy this piece of great technology called Microsoft Lumia 950 XL. :love:

Share why you love your Lumia 950 XL here :amaze:

Last edited:

shenn10

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I have also been a long time window phone user and love my 950xl. Minor problems will be ironed out on the immediate future.

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I only have one complaint; I'm not getting any sort of notification for my text messages. Other than that this thing is awesome!!

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
This is my first Windows phone (formerly Android) and I absolutely love this phone. It's doing everything I need it to do. Took some great photos at my son's wedding on Friday. Especially like the 'glance' screen. I've got my main screen all fixed up and organized the way I want and I really like the fact that all my apps are on a list in alphabetical order - I kept losing them on my Android phone. Too many screens to go through. Found a great clock app (Clock Tile HD) that allows me to put a large digital clock on the front so it's easy to see (I'm in my 50's and eyesight not what it used to be). Super happy so far. Only thing I really miss is my Amazon Music player. I've got a lot of music stored in the Amazon Cloud that I don't seem to be able to get to.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
When Microsoft announced their products for this fall I thought the Band 2 was a definite purchase, the Surface Pro 4 a possible purchase and the Lumia 950 XL an unlikely purchase. I left Windows Phone for Android a year ago. When I went to see the new products it was the 950 XL I found myself playing with the most and decided to pre-order. After reading about bugs in Windows 10 Mobile I was worried how this phone was going to work but so far I am pretty impressed. The size is good and the phone feels comfortable in my hand. The buttons are perfectly placed and the screen is beautiful. I love the photo button and how quickly the camera starts without having to deal with the lock screen. Unlike many tech reviewers, I appreciate the removable back and with a black leather Mozo cover think the phone looks sharp.

I love the Windows interface and had forgotten how much I missed it. I don't normally lock my phone but Hello works well enough that I don't mind keeping it locked. To my surprise, I haven't had any major glitches-- no restarts, freezing, crashes or screen issues. I also haven't missed any apps yet in my daily use. One app I thought would miss is the remote start app for my Hyundai but I found I can just pin the BlueLink webpage to my home screen and it works just as easy as having the app. Same thing with Subway sandwiches, the WebApp is just as easy as the regular app. So far I am loving the 950 XL!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
A couple of off-topic posts removed.

I also love my 950XL, as much as I loved my 1520 that went before it.

I'm looking forward to future updates that will make this device even better

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I loves my Lumia 950XL, no regrets about buying it.

Superior to my 1520 in every way, absolutely annihilates the iPhone 5c I was forced to use for two weeks, and the screen is better than my wifes LG G4.

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
I loves my Lumia 950XL, no regrets about buying it.

Superior to my 1520 in every way, absolutely annihilates the iPhone 5c I was forced to use for two weeks, and the screen is better than my wifes LG G4.

Wow! Now you got me interested? How is it superior to the 1520? I love my 1520 but I'm open.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Super happy 950XL owner here, too!

I thought the size would be a bit much, coming from a 925, but after just a day it's become the new normal, and my 925 (which I used for 2.5 years) feels tiny now.

The screen, GAH THE SCREEN! I love the screen. It scrolls like butter and just makes everything on it look beautiful.

The camera OH MY WORD THE CAMERA! With the clarity and size of each picture you can easily get several clear cropped pictures of individual elements, and they each look as good or better than what my 925 could produce. Amazing!

Battery life is great, too. It's nice being able to go through a whole day, even with heavy use, without having to charge the phone. Even better to have 70% battery left over after work with light use. And the quick charging is incredible!

Continuum. CONTINUUM, PEOPLE! If you haven't tried this, you are missing out. This is a crazy development, and a feature that opens up countless opportunities, especially with the Office apps. Creating a Powerpoint on the phone and then using the phone to project it is just insane. Truly a must-have feature for anyone who uses these kinds of tools on a daily or even weekly basis.

I. LOVE. MY. 950XL.

Mark Morales

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Super happy 950XL owner here, too!

I thought the size would be a bit much, coming from a 925, but after just a day it's become the new normal, and my 925 (which I used for 2.5 years) feels tiny now.

The screen, GAH THE SCREEN! I love the screen. It scrolls like butter and just makes everything on it look beautiful.

The camera OH MY WORD THE CAMERA! With the clarity and size of each picture you can easily get several clear cropped pictures of individual elements, and they each look as good or better than what my 925 could produce. Amazing!

Battery life is great, too. It's nice being able to go through a whole day, even with heavy use, without having to charge the phone. Even better to have 70% battery left over after work with light use. And the quick charging is incredible!

Continuum. CONTINUUM, PEOPLE! If you haven't tried this, you are missing out. This is a crazy development, and a feature that opens up countless opportunities, especially with the Office apps. Creating a Powerpoint on the phone and then using the phone to project it is just insane. Truly a must-have feature for anyone who uses these kinds of tools on a daily or even weekly basis.

I. LOVE. MY. 950XL.

Continuum is the greatest invention since sliced bread (hell, since the wheel even!)... This is a complete game changer. Anyone that says it's niche or it has a limited use case, has a limited vision. I'm using it right now docked here at my office... incredible! I can think of many many use cases and every single argument that I've heard against it, I have and answer for. Too many to list here maybe we need to start a thread on the use cases and future of uwp / Continuum if one is not already there.

Posted via Continuum on a Lumia 950XL

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Wow! Now you got me interested? How is it superior to the 1520? I love my 1520 but I'm open.

Screen: Colors pop more, deeper blacks, 4x sharper, and my 1520 was overly sensitive to touch even on the lowest sensitivity setting where the 950xl is not.

Processor: The 1520 seemed decently quick but the 950xl in comparison makes my 1520 feel like a dog.

Battery: 1520 had a sealed battery which after 1.5 years went half bad leaving me with a battery that would die when it reached ~48%. 950xl has a replaceable battery.

Size: 1520 was big and I like it. But the 950xl has smaller bezels along with just a smidgen smaller of screen. It makes the phone much more pocketable and I can use it with one hand. Yet the screen is still plenty big enough.

Continuum!!!!!!! With my free display dock I have a little computer on my hands. Plus the graphics processor is soooooooooo much more capable. Games play smoother and the phone does not get hot enough to melt skin.

greynightshirt

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
I love my 950 XL as well, having had it for about seven days now, I'm feeling at home with it already! It's also just the right size (coming from a 1520 & 830!)
:love:

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I do have some complaints and I've been teetering on returning it, but here's what I love about it:

-Video camera actually has Slow Motion function. Just found it yesterday and it's a great surprise coming back from iOS.
-Video digital zoom actually looks great.
-Very fast camera from shot to shot.
-Continuum.
-Call recording. This is a huge convenience.
-Bluetooth gadgets is nice.

On a side note, when I set up my 950XL, I used my backup from the 920 which had almost 200 apps (I think). Using the phone, I wouldn't call it snappy. Are any of you experiencing the same if you set up without using a backup?

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Seeing lots that I like. But before I commit, I wanted to read a full review. Has anyone seen one? Not seen one on WC, Thurrott or Neowin, or anywhere I normally venture. I'd expected Dan would have reviewed it after a week of use. Weird that nobody has done one.

Noticed a lot on here coming frim the 1520, where as I will be coming from a 920. Hope I can deal with the size jump. Saw the 950 in Carphone Warehouse yesterday, and that looked good. I really need to see th xl in real life.

Last edited:

JettleMania

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
One more reason to love your 950/xl! FYI for persons relying upon email encryption (S/MIME) with Exchange (and Office365)--10586.29 coupled with today's (7 Dec) Outlook Mail app update (17.6430.42252.0) significantly improves Windows' handing of certificates. I'm finding the exchange (pun intended :) of encrypted email is working and, as far as I can tell... CONSISTENTLY. Hallelujah!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077