Why are some email accounts not setting up correctly - Lumia 950?

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Some email accounts not setting up correctly - Lumia 950

Just got my 950 two days ago and unfortunately running into an issue with setting up a couple of email accounts.

I have six email addresses I track on the phone. Five of them are all on the same server but are different inboxes while the sixth is the Hotmail account from Microsoft.

Unfortunately two of the accounts on my personal server are not setting up. The phone tells me that it is synced by nothing is showing. I even submitted a test email from the phone that did show up on my desktop Outlook but does not show up on my phone.

I did a hard reset of the phone and still the exact same issue. I'm stumped as the other emails work just fine but for some reason these two inboxes are causing problems. They worked on my 920 and they work on Outlook desktop version. So what is the trick to get this working?

Also any idea when the linked inbox is coming back. It's frustrating have to cycle through inboxes!

Vlatko Stojanovski

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Re: Some email accounts not setting up correctly - Lumia 950

Not sure if it's the exact same problem, but a few builds back, I had a similar issue.

I knew emails were arriving, but the Mail app kept saying it's synced and none were arriving.

What I did and what solved it for me then, was going to "Manage Accounts" and then in "Change mailbox sync options", I changed "based on my usage" to "manually".

Did manual sync for maybe 15 min, and then set it back to "based on my usage".

Now I have no issues.

Hope it helps

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

When you say they are not setting up properly does that mean you are also getting an error that shows when you go back to look at your list of email accounts?

I had an error setting up two emails on my private server until I finally just ignored the forms desire to ask me what name I wanted to go under and it gave me examples such as: Dave, John or ken_g@whateverxx.com.

It wants (or only works) if you repeat the email address as your name that you're trying to set up in that name box. I think it asks for your name twice in the dialogue boxes it wants filled out even though the new email address is already sitting right there and it's acknowledged the address you're setting up. Really stupid. (Gmail setup is different, it takes your real name or whatever you want.)

Good luck...

MG

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Not sure if it's the exact same problem, but a few builds back, I had a similar issue.

I knew emails were arriving, but the Mail app kept saying it's synced and none were arriving.

What I did and what solved it for me then, was going to "Manage Accounts" and then in "Change mailbox sync options", I changed "based on my usage" to "manually".

Did manual sync for maybe 15 min, and then set it back to "based on my usage".

Now I have no issues.

Hope it helps

Thanks for the suggestion. See below for what I did, seems neither solution made a difference :(

When you say they are not setting up properly does that mean you are also getting an error that shows when you go back to look at your list of email accounts?

I had an error setting up two emails on my private server until I finally just ignored the forms desire to ask me what name I wanted to go under and it gave me examples such as: Dave, John or ken_g@whateverxx.com.

It wants (or only works) if you repeat the email address as your name that you're trying to set up in that name box. I think it asks for your name twice in the dialogue boxes it wants filled out even though the new email address is already sitting right there and it's acknowledged the address you're setting up. Really stupid. (Gmail setup is different, it takes your real name or whatever you want.)

Good luck...

MG

I went ahead and deleted one of the accounts and re-added it. I made sure the email address was used in place of the account name and the username. After it was set up I went to sync it and I got a certificate warning. I've seen these before with the other accounts so I proceeded. I then changed my update cycle to manual. Went to sync and it will try to update for what seems like 3-5 minutes. After that nothing comes up and I show the triangle sign with the exclamation point. When I go to fix the account it asks for the password again and repeats the same action.

This is really frustrating because there seems to be no reason for this to be happening. The other accounts are fine and use the same certificate and server, why are these two problematic?

So as it stands now the account is in the list but shows the warning symbol and periodically the phone will send an alert letting me know it's not set up properly. But entering the password and "fixing" it does nothing.

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Just wanted to add that I noticed even an account that is set up and working properly is now giving me error messages that it is "out of date."

This just happened after I sent an email from my phone. The email was received successfully by the recipient but for some reason the error keeps coming up now.

So strange...

Mallguvner

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site

You tripped a trigger. I do remember the "Out of Date" warning. You're close. I think you keep trying until the "Advanced button" appears at the bottom instead of the other selections there at first. (I'm doing this from memory.) Once you get into "Advanced" put your server name down or whatever you couldn't do before once again putting your exact email address as your name. (I think that's where I came up with having to do it twice.)

I also have the server certificate warning. I'm not paying them for their certificate. It never asks again unless you're using the Webmail function from a browser.

Good luck...

MG

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my Yahoo account. When I first got my phone I set it up and it seemed to be working. A week or so later and it wouldn't update new emails. I'd go into the browser and I'd have a bunch of emails. I've deleted and re added it several times and now it won't show anything. Just says up to date and no emails are listed at all.

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

I'm considering resetting the phone again but this time not selecting the restore from backup option.

Not sure if that'll make a difference but I really need access to all of my emails on this device so willing to try.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site

i was dubious but just reset and restored froma back up and mine are working, can ven get pictures on my mails now, cant believe it fixed it.

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

I fixed it!!!

I was on the verge of resetting the phone again but figured I should investigate the email side of the equation before blaming the phone. So I went to the two accounts and reset the password on both the cPanel and the email clients.

I tested it on one and found that it worked! So I then did the same to the other and it also worked!

Now I'm not sure what difference this made and why it is working but I'm thinking somewhere along the line something got out of sync with the passwords and login information.

So aside from me missing the Linked Inbox I'm happy! Now I can go on to exploring my new phone instead of troubleshooting this issue.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site

I fixed it!!!

I was on the verge of resetting the phone again but figured I should investigate the email side of the equation before blaming the phone. So I went to the two accounts and reset the password on both the cPanel and the email clients.

I tested it on one and found that it worked! So I then did the same to the other and it also worked!

Now I'm not sure what difference this made and why it is working but I'm thinking somewhere along the line something got out of sync with the passwords and login information.

So aside from me missing the Linked Inbox I'm happy! Now I can go on to exploring my new phone instead of troubleshooting this issue.

If you sign up for Windows Insider, they just released an update today that re-added linked inboxes.

fpena911

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

If you sign up for Windows Insider, they just released an update today that re-added linked inboxes.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that Windows Insider was available for the 950 series.

Last night I signed up and loaded the newest update. I'm ecstatic as my Linked Inbox is back and so far EVERYTHING I use in my daily routine is working perfectly.

Loving this phone now...

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site

Still can't get my emails to sync....

I just can't imagine what the problem is? I can login to Outlook on a browser and it pulls all my emails, but just won't do it on my phone?

Zeem Frostmaw

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I've found that account problems can also be fixed by re-syncing the device clock. Worth a try for people who've scrolled this far and want another suggestion. =)

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I've found that account problems can also be fixed by re-syncing the device clock. Worth a try for people who've scrolled this far and want another suggestion. =)

Thanks for the suggestion, but it didn't help. I guess I'll just have to wait until (or if) it's fixed in a future update.

kwajr

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
It's not just yahoo, gmail and outlook won't sync anything either. Yahoo isn't the problem, like I said it worked in the beginning.
Have you deleted and readded the accounts?
If tthat doesn't work you know what's up....its hard reset time

i_hiker

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my Yahoo account. When I first got my phone I set it up and it seemed to be working. A week or so later and it wouldn't update new emails. I'd go into the browser and I'd have a bunch of emails. I've deleted and re added it several times and now it won't show anything. Just says up to date and no emails are listed at all.

You need a specific password generated by Yahoo to successfully set up their email on at least some mobile devices. Had to do it my Blackberry and now the L950.

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Have you deleted and readded the accounts?
If tthat doesn't work you know what's up....its hard reset time

Multiple times. I know it's probably going to come to this, I'll eventually reset if I can't get if figured out.

You need a specific password generated by Yahoo to successfully set up their email on at least some mobile devices. Had to do it my Blackberry and now the L950.

How do you get the password?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss