Unlocked version for Tmo

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Is there an unlocked version of this that's compatible with Tmo US, like a Latin American version? Looking for a gift and would prefer not to rely on buying an ATT version that'll likely not get updates. Thanks.

Justinian0001

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I bought mine at Best Buy as an ATT GoPhone. There are services that can get you an unlock code. I then d/l the Insiders App and updated the phone to Windows 10.

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
I bought mine at Best Buy as an ATT GoPhone. There are services that can get you an unlock code. I then d/l the Insiders App and updated the phone to Windows 10.

for some of us its not a viable option (i require band 12, wifi calling, and visual voicemail)
even with an unlocked ATT 640 it has locked firmware and ATT (probably intentionally) locked out some features

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
for some of us its not a viable option (i require band 12, wifi calling, and visual voicemail)
even with an unlocked ATT 640 it has locked firmware and ATT (probably intentionally) locked out some features

Yeah, this. I hear that Band 12 is important for building penetration but it probably also depends where you are in the US and all.

kpluck

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression unless you purchased an actual T-mobile version of the 640 you would not get wifi calling, VoLTE or band 12 support even if the phone is technically capable of delivering those features. Is that not the case?

-kpluck

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Highlighted the biggest reason not to, I see absolutely no reason to tie oneself to a carriers firmware and update schedule regardless of how cheap it is.

On another note, do you have one of the B&H versions on Tmo? If so how is it working for you? Especially interested in Visual Voicemail as that seems to be an issue with the 950 dual SIM versions. Thanks.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression unless you purchased an actual T-mobile version of the 640 you would not get wifi calling, VoLTE or band 12 support even if the phone is technically capable of delivering those features. Is that not the case?

-kpluck

Yes, for wifi calling and VoLTE. No for band 12.
Also the MetroPCS version has the same things as the T-mo version.

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
Highlighted the biggest reason not to, I see absolutely no reason to tie oneself to a carriers firmware and update schedule regardless of how cheap it is.

On another note, do you have one of the B&H versions on Tmo? If so how is it working for you? Especially interested in Visual Voicemail as that seems to be an issue with the 950 dual SIM versions. Thanks.

i bought the tmobile version back in june for my wife (lol, im cheap i took her hand-me-down lumia 635. she needed band 12 at work, i didn't) a couple months later i bought one for myself when frys had em on sale. then a couple months later i bought an ATT one for a friend who is on our Tmo family plan (i unlocked it of course).. also my brother uses one (iver never actually laid hands on it, he lives across the country) its factory unlocked like the ones at B&H (no idea where he bought it) its the LTE single sim version.

all 4 are used on tmobile (part of same family plan)
1 tmo 640: visual voice mail works flawlessly, no setup was required or anything, band12 works (wife finally gets good service deep inside her office building in atlanta area. wifi calling works great. its on by default (which i didn't like) but now that its set to "on" but "prefer cellular network" it behaves exactly as i want it to.

2 tmo 640: same as above

3 ATT 640: works fine, just missing band 12, visual voicemail, wifi calling (hardware supports band 12, but ATT disabled it)

4 international 640 single sim LTE version: band 12 worked automatically, but from what i understand he had a bit of trouble getting wifi calling and visual voicemail to work. (it seems like he was able to google up a solution and/or partial solution.. not 100% sure)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
i bought the tmobile version back in june for my wife (lol, im cheap i took her hand-me-down lumia 635. she needed band 12 at work, i didn't) a couple months later i bought one for myself when frys had em on sale. then a couple months later i bought an ATT one for a friend who is on our Tmo family plan (i unlocked it of course).. also my brother uses one (iver never actually laid hands on it, he lives across the country) its factory unlocked like the ones at B&H (no idea where he bought it) its the LTE single sim version.

all 4 are used on tmobile (part of same family plan)
1 tmo 640: visual voice mail works flawlessly, no setup was required or anything, band12 works (wife finally gets good service deep inside her office building in atlanta area. wifi calling works great. its on by default (which i didn't like) but now that its set to "on" but "prefer cellular network" it behaves exactly as i want it to.

2 tmo 640: same as above

3 ATT 640: works fine, just missing band 12, visual voicemail, wifi calling (hardware supports band 12, but ATT disabled it)

4 international 640 single sim LTE version: band 12 worked automatically, but from what i understand he had a bit of trouble getting wifi calling and visual voicemail to work. (it seems like he was able to google up a solution and/or partial solution.. not 100% sure)

Thanks for that info. Seems though the only option for Tmo at the moment is the B&H version as it has band 12 but being dual SIM Visual Voicemail wont work but as its practically impossible to get the Tmo version new I'll have to probably get that after checking its ok with the person I'm gifting it to otherwise seems a good upgrade from a 620.

cawafuoshi

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Running an ATT unlocked 640 on Tmo. Visual Voicemail works flawlessly.

On another note, even without Wifi calling and band 12 I find the 640 and the current Win 10 build enticing enough to carry me through some seasons until I decide on an upgrade path for my needs. Plus, it came with a GoPhone sim card I set up for emergencies should I ever run out of native Tmo coverage. Not the best, not the worst workaround.

Although unlocked and dual sim, I find the B&H price a tad high for the 640.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Running an ATT unlocked 640 on Tmo. Visual Voicemail works flawlessly.

On another note, even without Wifi calling and band 12 I find the 640 and the current Win 10 build enticing enough to carry me through some seasons until I decide on an upgrade path for my needs. Plus, it came with a GoPhone sim card I set up for emergencies should I ever run out of native Tmo coverage. Not the best, not the worst workaround.

Although unlocked and dual sim, I find the B&H price a tad high for the 640.

Huh? Unlocked is always going to be more. This is a midrange phone, so midrange pricing kind of makes sense.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans