Very long time Android user thinking about trying out the Lumia 950 XL

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I have been an Android user since pretty much day one of Androids release. Recently I have been fascinated by the new Windows Phone 10 and seeing the release of the Lumia 950 XL piqued my interest even more. Are there any Samsung Note 5 users here that have made the switch? What are you thoughts after the switch?

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's a big change for a committed Android user. How well you'll adjust depends on how tied you are into various apps on your phone and how much you customise your experience. Windows 10 Mobile is a fantastic operating system, but lacks support from developers. The framework for the OS also leans toward security/stability/performance, so there aren't any apps that can modify the way the OS looks and feels, and apps can't modify the behaviour of other apps.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I think it's mainly on which apps you use.. It would be really helpful if you named a few that are very important to you.

Prophet1111

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Well yeah - it very much depends on what you expect from phone.
If you're a big customizer (if that's even a word ;) ) there will not be much for you to customize on W10...

You shouldn't be disappointed with apps though IMHO - there might be some gap I admit, but most popular apps are on WP/W10 too...

And 950XL is my dream phone now ;) If I were you I would switch in a blink of an eye!

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
It's a big change for a committed Android user. How well you'll adjust depends on how tied you are into various apps on your phone and how much you customise your experience. Windows 10 Mobile is a fantastic operating system, but lacks support from developers. The framework for the OS also leans toward security/stability/performance, so there aren't any apps that can modify the way the OS looks and feels, and apps can't modify the behaviour of other apps.

I am pretty flexible when it comes to change. I have been using Windows 10 since it was in beta and really like how it has developed. I am not super dependent on any Android app persay, I use Gmail the most but I am sure I could just as well use Outlook. I use it everyday at work so adjusting to a different email client wouldn't be very difficultly to me. I do use other apps like YouTube, Drive, Maps, and Chrome but I am sure I could use their alternatives just as well. Have they integrated Google Maps in to the Windows 10 mobile app store yet? What about Google Hangouts?

Milan Secerov

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
Well, I've used android prior to the 950xl, had the M9 and Note 4 to be exact and can tell you my experience. Windows 10 mobile is something else. Its so slick and professional looking that it makes android and ios look like a bunch of six year olds playing with legos. There are a few bugs that need to be ironed out and the "app gap" does exist to an extent but all the apps I need are on windows as well. Haven't used the Note 5, but have used the S6 and with the 950 xl you will definitely feel the non premium build when it comes to materials, but the build quality is excellent. But all that can be changed with the Mozo leather back replacement. Plus you do get ,what Samsung was once famous for using, the removable back cover, battery and micro sd card slot.
If you make the switch, it will be very refreshing. That's my two cents.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, you won't find Google Maps on Windows Phone - you probably know that Google would much rather assume that Windows Phone doesn't exist at all (they actively blocked Microsoft from creating a YouTube client in fact).

HERE maps are pretty good though, I doubt that you'll miss much.

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I think it's mainly on which apps you use.. It would be really helpful if you named a few that are very important to you.

I think Hangouts would be the main app that I use a ton. Other apps I could probably find on the Windows app store or find an alternative. I do customize a ton on my Android phones but that is mainly because I can. I am open to trying out anything, I am not very close minded when it comes to tech.

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, you won't find Google Maps on Windows Phone - you probably know that Google would much rather assume that Windows Phone doesn't exist at all (they actively blocked Microsoft from creating a YouTube client in fact).

HERE maps are pretty good though, I doubt that you'll miss much.

I am sure HERE maps would be fine. I generally use it when I am driving to work for the ETA for my arrival. Not sure why Google would not hop on board with Windows, I mean they make all the apps for Apple.

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Plus you do get ,what Samsung was once famous for using, the removable back cover, battery and micro sd card slot.

For me these were never a real issue for me. I am have QC chargers all over the place so charging up really fast vs swapping out a battery has been fine for me. As far as expandable storage, I really don't put a lot on my phone. All my photos are backed up to the cloud and I stream 99% of my content so I have always been good with 16GB or 32GB.

I am definitely considering giving the phone a try. I like the way the OS looks and I think I am growing board with the same old thing. I gave the iPhone 6 a try a while ago and it was decent for what it was. I own a couple of iPads and Samsung tablets so I am we diversed in their pros and cons. I think it might be time to give Windows Mobile a go.

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Google would much rather assume that Windows Phone doesn't exist at all (they actively blocked Microsoft from creating a YouTube client in fact).

Doing a quick Google search turned up this article. Can't post the link yet, haven't hit my 10 post minimum yet.

Under the new CEO, Microsoft is hard at work creating very decent (and some great) apps for Android, putting behind any qualms or reservations it might have about working on a direct competitor's platform. It seems that Google might be prepping to return the favor, by having its own popular apps ready for prime time on the Windows 10 Mobile edition when it lands this week, along with two new Lumias to showcase it.

Staple apps like YouTube, Hangouts, Google Voice and Google Play Music are all tipped to appear on the Windows Store, it seems. Microsoft already signed agreements with some Android makers like Samsung, Sony or Asus, to ship its apps for the platform together with their phones out of the box.

Having Google's apps on Windows 10 Mobile would certainly be a boost for those who are contemplating a run for the new Lumias, but are using their Google stuff on a regular basis, but since this is just a rumor, we'll take the wait and see approach until Microsoft takes the stage tomorrow, and gives some more details on the new handsets and their fresh ecosystem.

RicKaysen

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I bought a 950XL on release, but returned it. I was, and still am, fascinated by the potential of the device, but the paucity of applications became too much of an issue for me. I became very frustrated with trying to find similar applications to the ones that I rely on daily and simply do not have the time to learn the Windows apps that kinda, sorta do the same thing. As soon as Google and Microsoft kiss and make up, I'll pick up another phone immediately, but until then I will stick with my Android. I'm hoping this happens by the time the rumored Surface phone, uhh, surfaces. Who knows, maybe it'll even come in premium materials.

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I bought a 950XL on release, but returned it. I was, and still am, fascinated by the potential of the device, but the paucity of applications became too much of an issue for me. I became very frustrated with trying to find similar applications to the ones that I rely on daily and simply do not have the time to learn the Windows apps that kinda, sorta do the same thing. As soon as Google and Microsoft kiss and make up, I'll pick up another phone immediately, but until then I will stick with my Android. I'm hoping this happens by the time the rumored Surface phone, uhh, surfaces. Who knows, maybe it'll even come in premium materials.

If you don't mind me asking what apps did want to use on the 950 XL and what alternatives did you try?

identity-x

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Can we at least talk you in to waiting until a couple of cumulative updates for Windows 10 Mobile are released?

The app gap never kept me from suggesting Windows Phone over Android, unless a person just NEEDED Snapchat (...... >:-| ) or their bank's app (...understandable). That still applies. As a device, the 950XL is great, and W10M has a lot going for it, but I'm not sure I could excitedly encourage someone to make the switch until the bugs are squashed.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've read that there are some bugs related to unfinished OS and beta firmware it seems. If you are on ATT, the 950xl is dual SIM and doesn't allow voicemail. I had mine returned after an unresolved never ending boot problem. I considered buying it again when the OS is done, but ultimately decided to try out my other options.

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Can we at least talk you in to waiting until a couple of cumulative updates for Windows 10 Mobile are released?

The app gap never kept me from suggesting Windows Phone over Android, unless a person just NEEDED Snapchat (...... >:-| ) or their bank's app (...understandable). That still applies. As a device, the 950XL is great, and W10M has a lot going for it, but I'm not sure I could excitedly encourage someone to make the switch until the bugs are squashed.
I'll probably wait till the first of the year to get it unless I can find a great deal on one. I'm definitely going to be hanging around here to see what is going on with it. Bugs don't really bother me, I've gone through a lot of growing pains with Android so I'm use to things not working great. I'll probably swing by an ATT store and mess around with the 950 and check out the Windows experience on a phone.

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm a former Android user and this is my first Windows phone. I really, really like it. For what I need to do, it's perfect. Still missing a couple apps but I just have shortcuts on the web browser for now. Main thing I don't get is my Amazon Music. I have a lot of tunes out there I can't access.

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I'm a former Android user and this is my first Windows phone. I really, really like it. For what I need to do, it's perfect. Still missing a couple apps but I just have shortcuts on the web browser for now. Main thing I don't get is my Amazon Music. I have a lot of tunes out there I can't access.
Are you able to use Google Music on the phone?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb