Very long time Android user thinking about trying out the Lumia 950 XL

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the insight. I'm starting to dig the OS. There are a lot of apps that are missing for me but luckily most have mobile websites. I am just pinning them to my start screen. Still need to figure out how to make the tile custom to the site so I don't have a bunch of E's on my home screen. I am using the Facebook Mobile website as well. I have to say that Facebook really did a bad job with the WP version. I really don't see why they don't update it to look like iOS or Android. Seems a little lazy to me.
Facebook didn't make the app. Microsoft did. That could explain the difference.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
The Facebook Beta app is a bit newer code if you want to look at that....

I will tell you that there are a few third party developers that are working on a W10M app right now :)

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
My bet would be to wait a little. Let the official W10 mobile release be made. And dont listen to something thats gonna come in the future. Coz basically with windows its a hit or miss. Sometimes it will sometimes it wont and sometimes it will and wont be exciting. Its a wonderful OS but has its perks as its still in beta. Let those be ironed out.

lupinesithlord

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I am not an android or Ios user. I have been win phone since the samsung focus...I like this phone a lot. Had a 920 til my xl came out. I have att...I can access voicemail. I have read reports of issues with visual voicemail, but as someone who doesnt want that anyway I have no complaints...Took a little bit to get used to the size of the phone, but I have become "one of those" people who isnt sure he can go back to a smaller phone again....egads that was a surprise when it hit me....
I guess what I would say is welcome, hope you like your phone at least as half as much as I do....if you do then your gonna love it....

spazinvader

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I have been an Android user since pretty much day one of Androids release. Recently I have been fascinated by the new Windows Phone 10 and seeing the release of the Lumia 950 XL piqued my interest even more. Are there any Samsung Note 5 users here that have made the switch? What are you thoughts after the switch?

I would very much ask you to wait until Google is on board with Windows 10 mobile. Which is not going to happen any time sooner. Because, there are only replacements as of now and in some cases(like Youtube, Maps, etc), there are 3rd party apps only available. Youtube is well covered. But for Google Maps, the only client available is gMaps, a 3rd party app, which is kind of a little difficult to use. So your best bet is to use Here Maps or Microsoft Maps.

Hangouts is mostly not in Windows 10 mobile. A few apps does cover hangouts too. Again, instead of hangouts, you can choose skype or many other popular IMs.

But if hangouts, Maps are your thing, it will be best if you choose Android or iOS over Windows 10 mobile for now. In few words, if you rely heavily on Google for anything other than search, youtube or gmail, it will be best for you to stay on Android or iOS.

I would suggest you to feel the water first(by getting a low cost Windows 10 mobile first) instead of jumping right into the water(get a high end Windows 10 mobile and switch).

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I would very much ask you to wait until Google is on board with Windows 10 mobile. Which is not going to happen any time sooner. Because, there are only replacements as of now and in some cases(like Youtube, Maps, etc), there are 3rd party apps only available. Youtube is well covered. But for Google Maps, the only client available is gMaps, a 3rd party app, which is kind of a little difficult to use. So your best bet is to use Here Maps or Microsoft Maps.

Hangouts is mostly not in Windows 10 mobile. A few apps does cover hangouts too. Again, instead of hangouts, you can choose skype or many other popular IMs.

But if hangouts, Maps are your thing, it will be best if you choose Android or iOS over Windows 10 mobile for now. In few words, if you rely heavily on Google for anything other than search, youtube or gmail, it will be best for you to stay on Android or iOS.

I would suggest you to feel the water first(by getting a low cost Windows 10 mobile first) instead of jumping right into the water(get a high end Windows 10 mobile and switch).
I already ordered and received a used Lumia 640 XL. I already loaded Windows 10 on it and have started using it. The main app I'm missing so far is Google Handouts group chat. Other than that it's been a cool experience so far.

CraigGB

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Ah gotcha, well they really did a poor job.

there is still hope, it is my understanding that Microsoft did the app on Windows Phone 8.1, they also did the current one in Windows Mobile 10, however Facebook have announced they will be doing a Universal app which hopefully should replace the current version which I assume is what Microsoft was working on until the Facebook announcement, it is based on the iOS one so with any luck it should actually be pretty good. :)

saying that I actually like the current app, it is missing some features but as far as I know it's the only mobile app where you can still sort the timeline by most recent instead of whatever the heck order Facebook decides it should be in.

spazinvader

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I already ordered and received a used Lumia 640 XL. I already loaded Windows 10 on it and have started using it. The main app I'm missing so far is Google Handouts group chat. Other than that it's been a cool experience so far.

If you like the OS now, I guess you will like it lot better later. To me, in case of performance, Windows Phone 8 is better than Windows 10 mobile. However, Windows 10 mobile grew a lot in the last couple of months(including the Microsoft's own apps). Kind of it is raising up to Windows Phone 8 in terms of performance and battery now. So you will like it better in the future.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

Great idea going with the 640 xl. Although you won't get the whole experience of a flagship, it won't be to far off the mark. Those 640's are great for the price.

klaw81

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by klaw81 View Post
In reply to 'Poirots Progeny'

Random reboots and apps crashing?? Yes have had the odd app (non-Microsoft) stall and then phone reboots. But this has happened extremely rarely for me. Have had Lumia 620, Lumia 1020 and now Lumia 930.

If having really bad issues then fully reload the Windows OS from recovery software tool, once installed then do a few hard resets, I usually do 2 then restore my phone backup on the 3rd hard reset.

If phone still acts up, then I would seriously consider speaking to Lumia Help and return your faulty handset.

Thats my 2 cents...

cracgor
What? That is way too much work for any but the hardest core fan. Especially for a brand new device.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

In respose to cracgor

My advice was for users having bad problems with their device and NOT users with a brand new device.
Using the windows recovery tool take the longest for the first stage, though depends on speed of your broadband connection. Then after that you can do a hard reset relatively quickly without restoring a backup.

Last edited:

DCPaul

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I am using Note 5 - after 3 years included Android. My Lumia 950xl is in transit, should arrive in a couple of days. But I have been using 1520, 1020 and 930 - the camera is still best compared to Note 5 and also s6 edge plus, one of my friend's phone. WP10 is still in previews but in general OS feels much richer. Although it lacks lots of functionalities of android, esp the s-pen of note 5 makes more usabality. I expected 950xl would support the pen. App gap is still issue for lots of people but not for me, although the fuctionality of apps inferrior (maily social apps) campared to Android. Air gesture of Note 5 capabality would have made the 950/xl would made it tottally touchless unlock phone.... I abandond Adroid mainly because of poor battery life but its has been improved significatly on Note 5..... 950/xl still have tough compitition...

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
didn't read 6 pages of answers. go buy a Lumia 640 for $30 and try out WP OS and look at the app store.
Google and MS are in a child like fight with each other and you will get Nothing google on a WP. and if you need anything other than a calendar or a calculator app, its prolly not there.
There will be some 3rd party mock apps, but 90% of those are terrible web wraps. Facebook and twitter are both worse than bad on WP.

WP OS all by itself, if you took away the apps stores on android and ios, WP is way better than both. but say you want to buy a new bluetooth door knob that unlocks when you get home, or Hue lighting, or you local new/weather, or local bank, or a GoPro, or a Ecobee/Nest thermostat, or a remote camera that lets you view the inside of your home while you're away, There will never be an app for any of that on WP. I could make that list about 10x longer, but you get the point.

wisedesi

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
It is a beautiful user interface, efficient OS and works great as long as you can live with app shortcoming and open minded to learn(which you are).

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I have my Google Music Working now, so I will say I am doing better because of that. I am using the Client For Google Music 8.1 app from the store and it works great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99