Very long time Android user thinking about trying out the Lumia 950 XL

Tactik

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
As a long time android user and I also use a Lumia 1020, I have to agree applications are going to be your biggest hill to climb. Where I think MS succeeds very well is their integration of apps to one drive. I really like the way MS has integrated Groove Music player to play files from one drive. I only use Facebook and Tumblr for social media so that's not that big of deal. I think Chrome is better browser on the phone. Edge kind of sucks to me.

If you root and tweak, W10M is not the platform for you.

Good Luck.

SteveSAPA

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Ah gotcha, well they really did a poor job.

With Facebook, which version are you using?
My 950xl came with the old version (v8 or something)
It was hard to find in the store, it only showed the old one.
I found a link on this site for the new version. Its much better than the old one. Probably still not as good as iOS though.

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
With Facebook, which version are you using?
My 950xl came with the old version (v8 or something)
It was hard to find in the store, it only showed the old one.
I found a link on this site for the new version. Its much better than the old one. Probably still not as good as iOS though.
I am using the beta version of Facebook right now. Seems better than the one on the store.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
100% agree with the user interface. WP OS is the best of the best. The app gap does suck. but if people don't mind carrying a 2nd device hot spotting a ipod touch could give you any "must haves" from the other side.

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
100% agree with the user interface. WP OS is the best of the best. The app gap does suck. but if people don't mind carrying a 2nd device hot spotting a ipod touch could give you any "must haves" from the other side.

So far I am pretty happy with it. Trying to give this lower end phone the patience it needs. I am definitely missing the HD display though.

Andrea988

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Always makes me laugh this argument over the apps. I've had my 930 for a year now and haven't missed anything despite spending the previous 4 years on Android. Truth is, unless it's a favourite game or something you're not likely to miss anything that you won't find a decent, if not better and cleaner, equivalent for on Windows. That's my experience anyway as a business user.

I think there are a quarter of a million plus apps now on Windows, so you need to think about how many you really need and disregard review after review after review brainwashing everybody into thinking Windows phones are inferior because of the app gap. Take the dross out of android, the 1000+ flashlight apps etc. and you will find the gap isn't that big after all. I do have to concede that a lot of major businesses may not be there (my bank is thankfully and their app is way better than either the android or iOS versions too), but now we have the speeds for a decent internet connection it is far less of an issue than it was even a couple of years go, and it's just as easy to use most firms' main website as it is to use their app, especially as most have mobile web versions anyway.

Oh, and personally I prefer using both Facebook and twitter's sites on my windows phone but like anything it's a matter of choice but my point is that the app gap issue is totally blown out of all proportion simply because of the number of times it is brought up. The reality isn't anything like as bad as the perception is made out to be.

Sher Allen

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the insight. I'm starting to dig the OS. There are a lot of apps that are missing for me but luckily most have mobile websites. I am just pinning them to my start screen. Still need to figure out how to make the tile custom to the site so I don't have a bunch of E's on my home screen. I am using the Facebook Mobile website as well. I have to say that Facebook really did a bad job with the WP version. I really don't see why they don't update it to look like iOS or Android. Seems a little lazy to me.

I think the only app I am really missing is my Hangouts app. I tried IM+ but it does not do group chats. I tried the website but it does not scale correctly. I'll just have to keep on trying to figure a workaround out. Right now I'm just carrying around my Nexus 6P for that sole purpose. Only while I'm at home, if I go out I just leave the Nexus at home.

You can try using either my live tiles or start perfect. They are basically tile makers for websites. I tried start perfect first but couldn't get it to attach a picture to the tile. My live tiles apparently only lets you have 6... And the first one it doesnt let you post a url to, so really only 5 but using the second one I got a nice tile for my banking site login page :)

kappatau808

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
keep in mind this is my first windows phone so i have been mostly reading comments and reviews so...
is there anywhere on this site or some other sites i can go for things like troubleshooting, themes, info about apps like for example which one is a good alternative to gmail. or like how can i setup outlook to not show everything even spam in 1 inbox. or how to flash firmware and things like that.
pretty much like xda-developers, theres not much there

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
keep in mind this is my first windows phone so i have been mostly reading comments and reviews so...
is there anywhere on this site or some other sites i can go for things like troubleshooting, themes, info about apps like for example which one is a good alternative to gmail. or like how can i setup outlook to not show everything even spam in 1 inbox. or how to flash firmware and things like that.
pretty much like xda-developers, theres not much there

Hey, kappatau808, that is an excellent question...if you don't find what you need, why not start a new tread9s)? maybe break the categories down a little, keep the focus on the issue(s), fixes, solutions, benefits and cautions. I think that would be a great idea...like a clift notes for GSD.

the-scotsman

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Back in the early PDA days, I used (and loved) Windows Mobile 5 then 6.5, with the HTC Himalaya and Blue Angel. Not long after I became a moderator (and later a pseudo admin) on XDA, so I got into smartphones in a BIG way. I was even making custom WM 6.5 ROMs for the HD2 for a while. But then when Android became available on the HD2, I made the switch. And have used Android ever since, buying a new HTC flagship every year, until last year when I bought the LG G4.

I've always been keen on getting into Windows smartphones again, but the lack of decent flagships, and lack of apps always put me off. but with the 950 XL I was too tempted so I grabbed one. I have to say it's been a better experience than I imagined. Sure the lack of apps compared to Android is frustrating, but there's enough to get by. The OS itself is gorgeous, smooth and fast (most of the time). The camera is fantastic, the device itself feels premium, regardless of what the reviews say. I really haven't been able to fault it, Win10Mo issues aside.

I'm about to sell my G4 and make he switch from Android to WinMo permanent, that's how much I like it!

P.S. The best app for making custom bookmark tiles with custom images (and it's free!): https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2Fapps%2Fpin-it%2F9nblggh08kkj&token=KEiFHDmE

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
dear gawd, I'm trying to get the Facebook Beta and it wont let me...keep trying to press GET THE APP but its none functioning! grrrrrr

SinrOne

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I was android user since Galaxy S2 , then got Xperia Z2 and decided to jump in to Windows phone now, always quite liked the look of it and im not disappointed at all with my Lumia 950XL .
If we , the customers want something new and exciting, we have to support the developers, MS deserved a chance in my opinion because i love Windows 10 on my PC, they can make a difference in mobile industry too if they play their cards right.

Im sure someone agrees with me, i hope atleast.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05