AUSTRALIANS: Lumia 950 XL/ Lumia 950 Waiting Game/ 1st Impression/ Review/ roblems

Andrew Whitby

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Mine is charging at almost 25% per hour so its fully charged in about 4 hours. Maybe there is something wrong with your battery or charger?

That's what I am thinking, Harvey Norman asked me to wait it out a week, prior to them replacing it as they said (and I am hoping it's true) that they chew power for the first few days while they sync everyhing up. However, I am away for work and only sync over WiFi so it shouldn't be doing it now because I'm on data.

Also, I don't believe disabling features is an answer, the phone is marketed to have them so you should be able to have them on and not have your phone drain so quickly and constantly be running hot... on that note how do you disable the Skyp link?

SteveSAPA

May 12, 2014
Visit site
That's what I am thinking, Harvey Norman asked me to wait it out a week, prior to them replacing it as they said (and I am hoping it's true) that they chew power for the first few days while they sync everyhing up. However, I am away for work and only sync over WiFi so it shouldn't be doing it now because I'm on data.

Also, I don't believe disabling features is an answer, the phone is marketed to have them so you should be able to have them on and not have your phone drain so quickly and constantly be running hot... on that note how do you disable the Skyp link?

Go into messages then skype settings I think

Andrew Whitby

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, I basically turned everything off and it's no better - I am just assuming now it's faulty. When it's plugged into the charger it just maintains it's level it doesn't actually charge...

StreekG

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Got mine yesterday, pre-ordered from Microsoft.

No complaints

In sequence i had, L920, L1020, 2 x L930, and now this. Quite snappy, excellent camera so far, no complaints.

Larger screen is excellent, no more typos.

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Well, I basically turned everything off and it's no better - I am just assuming now it's faulty. When it's plugged into the charger it just maintains it's level it doesn't actually charge...

That is rough dude. Sounds like a dud unit. My phone charges soooooooooooooooooooo fast! It does like 0-100 in less than 90minutes (faster than my car!). Get it replaced ASAP imo.

steven-w

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Tried all day to download new apps from Microsoft store. Still trying to download 12hrs later. Is this a phone problem or a app store problem. Also battery went down by 20% per hour. I gather its a wifi problem as day before battery lasted over 16hrs. My phone is connected via Bluetooth to car & band 2 so I assume fair battery spent on that.
Cortana is very nifty via band 2

steven-w

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Also I am using 128GB card (from amazon) with no obvious problem except a message that my memory on the phone is low (currently 6gb total used on it).

Andrew Whitby

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
That is rough dude. Sounds like a dud unit. My phone charges soooooooooooooooooooo fast! It does like 0-100 in less than 90minutes (faster than my car!). Get it replaced ASAP imo.

Yea I will be when I get home next week, mean while it's just sitting there looking pretty while the good old 930 is trooping along. My 920 actually died the other day, 3 years on, my mate was using it and dropped it from the second floor to concrete RIP lol.

leorash007

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Yeah got my XL with XBOX yesterday - its a mono sim, really love it, will post R/V later
Also its a good idea for Infamy79, u can get it via Borderlinx- I have tried them, they r really good

This is what I want to know too, if none of the Australian models are dual SIM then I'll probably try to import one from the US

steven-w

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Was in MS store Sydney today. They tell me all Australian models are single sim.. I can also recommend Borderlinx, very good & fast not cheap

Shazami

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
Got my 950XL Tuesday last week. had to do reset at the beginning as i was unable to add accounts on the first start up. This is now corrected. The battery life is not the best even when social apps not signed in and syncing. I have changed the setting for them not to sync as this chews up the battery. The only active apps are message, phone, email/outlook which should not be chewing up the battery. This morning I charged the battery and had also done so last night. I have not made any phone calls and not received text messages etc and battery was down to 13% by 6:30pm. Screen was also off except when in use which was not frequent.

Two consecutive nights phone calls dropped out minimum 2 times - I noted that when I was receiving a phone message, email or text message the existing call I was on dropped out.

I am getting low storage message when I have used under 5G, the storage setting recognises that I have only used under 5G but the phone keeps telling me I have no storage capacity and need to insert an SD card.

The phone tells me in the backup & updates setting that I have phone updates to do and gives me the option to download then sits on 0% continuously, checked the current version on the phone and it is up to date?????

The phone heats up incredibly and is way too hot when the charger is plugged in. It's unusually hot and as mentioned the battery life is extremely poor.

I much prefer the WIndows Lumia over the iphone any day, I just hope these bugs will be sorted and the battery life improves.

Last edited:

steven-w

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Got my 950XL Tuesday last week. had to do reset at the beginning as i was unable to add accounts on the first start up. This is now corrected. The battery life is not the best even when social apps not signed in and syncing. I have changed the setting for them not to sync as this chews up the battery. The only active apps are message, phone, email/outlook which should not be chewing up the battery. This morning I charged the battery and had also done so last night. I have not made any phone calls and not received text messages etc and battery was down to 13% by 6:30pm. Screen was also off except when in use which was not frequent.

Two consecutive nights phone calls dropped out minimum 2 times - I noted that when I was receiving a phone message, email or text message the existing call I was on dropped out.

I much prefer the WIndows Lumia over the iphone any day, I just hope these bugs will be sorted and the battery life improves.

I have had similar problems, have a read of the Battery forum, I have have fiddled with settings especially glance, email every 15 min rather than push, background apps, screen brightness 30 & now am getting better battery life

indianarash7

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I am facing similar problems with battery - I have deactivated Windows Hello, decreased brightness, battery life has slightly increased, but its not pairing properly with my Microsoft band 2. Also I faced the Low storage message today for the first time inspite of only using around 5 gigs,
Love the phone, hopefully small problems get rectified soon

Missing the rectangular/square people pictures on the tile.

I am getting low storage message when I have used under 5G, the storage setting recognises that I have only used under 5G but the phone keeps telling me I have no storage capacity and need to insert an SD card.

The phone tells me in the backup & updates setting that I have phone updates to do and gives me the option to download then sits on 0% continuously, checked the current version on the phone and it is up to date?????

The phone heats up incredibly and is way too hot when the charger is plugged in. It's unusually hot and as mentioned the battery life is extremely poor.

Andrew Whitby

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I thought all my problems were solved, but extreme drain and heat issues again under little to no use.

If I use it whilst on charge it drains quicker then it charges,

Going to attempt to remove SD card and see what's the deal there...

On a side note, where has "Hey Cortana" gone ? I can't find where to activate it in her settings...

cdayo

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I thought all my problems were solved, but extreme drain and heat issues again under little to no use.

If I use it whilst on charge it drains quicker then it charges,

Going to attempt to remove SD card and see what's the deal there...

On a side note, where has "Hey Cortana" gone ? I can't find where to activate it in her settings...

Didn't we agree that you have got yourself a dud unit? Time for a replacement! Such issues are baffling to me as I am not experiencing any of those! Battery performance seems to be improving every day (I'm using it less maybe?). Draining quicker than it charges is outrageous... (even when playing heavy games). Also, Hey Cortana is definitely not available on W10M outside USA it seems (Unlike 8.1). Canadians are having the same problem haha. But this can't be too far around the corner.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos