Issue with speech while headphones plugged in

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else have this issue on Windows phone 8.1? Basically is like the MIC doesn't engage when I open Cortana and talk to her while my headphones are plugged in. I've confirmed that if I use her to listen for what music is playing while a headphone is plugged in, she can identify it properly, but me speaking doesn't work. Anyone else experiencing this? Used to work flawlessly on my ativ s.

Edit: I should have specified, it works as it should if my headphones are not plugged in.

Edit 2: I just used the app "hardware tests" to test the microphone while my headphones were plugged in. And it plays back through the headphone, was I spoke into the mic. Wonder if this issue only exists with Cortana.

Last edited:

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
update: I've found that its got nothing to do with headsets. If I use my voice to send a new sms, it works and sends properly using only my voice. If I receive an sms however, the microphone does not seem to engage. This is the same if I don't use a headset and set it to read sms always. Here's basically how it goes:
Cortana: You've received a new text message from Paul, would you like to read it, or ignore it?
BEEP (mic on)
Me: Read it.
*3 second delay*
BEEP (mic off)

At that point, it continues playing whatever audio was playing before, or doesn't do anything if no audio was playing before.

Would really appreciate any ideas on this, if anyone has any. :)

Erik Sg

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I noticed that this has been happening to me recently as well. It used to work fine, I could talk to Cortana when my headphones were plugged in, now she can't hear me... Hopefully mine fixes itself as well.

Kevin Houle1

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
I noticed that this has been happening to me recently as well. It used to work fine, I could talk to Cortana when my headphones were plugged in, now she can't hear me... Hopefully mine fixes itself as well.

Good. I'm not the only one. I did notice if I use headphones with a built in mic that it does work. My old ativ S worked regardless of what headphones were plugged in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon