Lumia 950 on Three UK here's how

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
So I followed the announcement and was wait eagerly for the UK networks to announce their support. 02, Vodafone and EE all posted confirmations that they would stock the device. Three said nothing, I tweeted and was told they had no plans to stock and to request the device. This went back and forth, lots of negative comments of their own official blog people wanted a high end Windows phone.

After a while I came to accept that it wasn't going to happen, I looked to change network. No big deal right? I used about 20-25gig Mobil data per month. To get that sort of package from the others I would have to fork out some serious ???. I set my target as ?40 or less. As my 1020 had been 34 from day one. I hate to overpay for anything.

I made and official complaint to three UK got a sim only deal 200 mins, unlimited texts, Internet and 12gig teathering for ?16 pm. Next went to giffgaff and got the Lumia 950 ?19.42pm ?25 upfront. You see you can get just a phone contract. You have to take out a reoccurring phone package but you can cancel that after one month. Additional ?5. Which I will cancel.

So for ?35.42 pm with a fee or ?30 I have Lumia 950 on Three.(and giffgaff). Unlimited data!

You can actually do this for any phone on giffgaff too. Three prices suck otherwise. Compare this to the slightly older galaxy edge would have cost me ?45 upfront and ?55pm

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

youhippy

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi Daniel,

I've got a 950 at the moment but am having great difficulty getting on the web with the phone. It constantly thinks i'm trying to use the phone as a personal hotspot. Was there anyting you needed to do with Three to make your device work?

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Haven't got that far yet, the phone they sent me was locked to 02 so won't accept my three sim. I have contacted giffgaff but they said to send it back to them! I have paid a website for a unlock code as I'm sick of waiting. I'll let you know how I get on.

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Reply I just got from three

Hi Daniel,*

'Thanks for taking the time to get in touch.*

I understand your concerns regarding this device and I'm glad you took the time to get in touch with us about this. The tethering block issue is something that we are aware of and I'm happy to say has now been resolved. When you receive your Lumia 950 you'll be able to use your phone without having to worry about anything at all.*

If you do experience any difficulties at all then please don't hesitate to get back in touch and we'll be happy to help get this sorted as quickly as possible so you can get back to enjoying your service.*

Thanks again*

David M*
Social Media Advisor*'

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Sent the phone back as after a lot of back a day forth they have said it will take 10 days more to unlock to any network, after a week already

I was sold a unlocked phone an wasn't given it so I can't keep being told different things by different agents.

Avoid giffgaff

seventeenapg

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
@Daniel
I am on Three on contract and I bought the 950 unlocked from Microsoft. The internet works fine until I roam. I was in Dublin only last week and I had no internet connection. When I clicked on the "learn more" within sim settings I was brought to the 3 website which indicated I was tethering. I checked on tethering was not switched on. As of Friday night Dec 18th I still could not connect.

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
It's terrible on Three UK not to stock the 950 XL. This phone is selling out like crazy. Been checking at Carphone as I also have an o2 contract for upgrade. The phones are selling from stores at alarming rates. My friend works in a car phone store and says he's so surprised how well the phone is selling. Online one day the phone is in stock the next day it's only available to pre order. I will wait till after Christmas pr the new year to upgrade as on o2 the cheapest rice of an upgrade has risen by ?1 per month to ?32.50 from ?31.50. Says phone available for pre order from 29th Jan now. Three have lost a lot of sales for not stocking these phones.

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Had no issue on three, happily! But haven't roamed. Got it from Argos in the end. Stock issues are normal for Microsoft, having a issue with the Xbox one elite controller. Microsoft were sending me one and they couldn't actually source one even Microsoft! My mum wants a 950 too now, hope I can get her one in a couple of weeks she is EE

smurph295

Dec 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys.
Got my 950 Friday from Vodafone on contract, they said the xl not out until the 22nd. So far pleased with 950 although battery drain seems to be what I'm watching at the mo apart from that really happy. Previous phone 1020 w8.1.

Cheers Shaun.

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Battery seems great so far, me too coming from a 1020. I'm going to pick up a couple of spare batteries so when I take a lot of photos and it gets drained I can just swap them out.

splodge_99

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Hi Daniel, I'm in the same boat as you were ! Got my phone from GiffGaff but locked to O2 :angry: Am now waiting for an unlocked code which with Xmas will be the New Year before I get it !! As it's a present I may pay for an unlock code, did you use a paid for company to get a code ? did it work and who ? thanks for your help

speccy

May 9, 2013
Visit site
For those with the connectivity issue with Three, you need to call them and they'll sort it out. They said they'd take three days to sort it for me, I thought that were just fobbing me off, but true to their word, on the third morning after the call, it started working and has been fine ever since. This is not a tethering issue as such, as I have tethering on my contract, but still received the warning saying I was using my phone as a hotspot. I didn't mention that I was running Windows 10 as it's not officially available on the Lumia 930 yet - I thought that may have complicated things if I had mentioned it.

daniel_sherlock

Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I gave up with Giffgaff in the end. They told me so many things. First it would take 24hrs and it would be remotely done. Then told 5 days. Then after 4 days told it would be 10 days and would be quicker to send it back to get a replacement. I gave up sent it back got it from Argos, actually unlocked 'as sold'.

Tried the high street they said they maybe able to do it for ?30 but could take 5 days. Tried the unlockingcompany.com they took my money took about 10 hours then refunded me. Phone wasn't in their data base. Tried 02, as it was their branded phone, they took the details and after 4 days said nope. Talking to a twitter user @akpmil he has the same issue. Now resolved after a week. But giffgaff very Slow and not easy to contact.

Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12