How the 950 XL made me lose my mind

easyejl

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
My two cents--don't even think about taking apart a phone under warranty. Where did you get it from? Did you purchase direct from Microsoft? See if you can get a human on the phone and raise Holy H**** until you get to speak to a manager or someone who will tell you what you need to know. But, here's the trick, do it politely! Don't insult the people on the phone. Just be very firm and tell them you are not waiting any longer. If this is not resolved immediately you are reporting this to the Better Business Bureau and the state's attorney general's consumer protection office.

Exactly what do you think that will accomplish if they don't have a replacement phone? All it will do is raise tension to still end up with a phone with no camera till there is a replacement available.

Not saying I wouldn't be plenty pissed off in the situation, but without the local store having a phone to replace it with nothing is going to happen for at least a few more days.

mattdistro

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Good news everyone!

So I did get contacted by Microsoft Mobile Support, but I was at work and they just left a voicemail saying to call them back.

I didn't call them back because I had pretty much decided just to return the device and buy another one to make things quicker.

What I did do was call the Microsoft Store to verify I wouldn't have any problems returning it. I got a super nice rep (that called me hun) and I explained what was wrong and she asked for my name and number and said to hang on. She conferenced in the manager at the store I'm closest to and he said that he was going to put a replacement on hold for me and stow it in the managers office. So I'm picking up a new 950 XL tonight!

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
You are very right on how they say you'll be contacted within a timeframe and it never happens. I have had several issues and or sup[port cases in the last month or so and never got contacted within proper timeframes. I always had to follow up myself.

and as for their "escalation team", they might as well not exist. Nothing is escalated or ever given any special treatment above other cases. Claiming "Escalation" seems to be a verbal strategy to make people calm and feel like things are going to be taken care of in a batter manner, when in actuality they're not going to do anything you can't already do yourself.

The "Escalated" conclusion will probably just be to try and submit another replacement request.

Source: Multiple very recent experiences with MS Support

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to see you're having issues. Since you're still within 2-3 weeks of purchase, I suggest you buy the extended warranty.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Off topic slightly, but may I ask how so exactly? I've always thought a hard reset or may even two was as good as it gets. If I could benefit from actually re-flashing more....

All you need do is install the program and it does it all for you, as your not relying on the internal memory for the reset but rather coming from your pc via the usb. Found it much better then the reset.

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
All you need do is install the program and it does it all for you, as your not relying on the internal memory for the reset but rather coming from your pc via the usb. Found it much better then the reset.

In what way was it better for you tho? As in, what was not corrected doing a hard reset but was with re-flash? In other words, I'm wondering if in your case it was a firmware issue that was resolved or an actual OS issue, or radio stack, BT stack, etc.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Exactly what do you think that will accomplish if they don't have a replacement phone?
That's probably BS--I've worked in retail, mailorder, and online sales and in cs. Professionals will find a way to make their customers happy, even if it takes overnighting a product to someone. One place I worked during the Christmas mad rush the President/owner of the company would work the shipping room, loading trucks, moving pallets and such to make sure the product got out the door. He had zero tolerance for late deliveries or the phone not being answered by a human within three rings. Unfortunately, very few businesses have professional staff because they don't pay enough and there is no long-term future in it for any of the employees.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
In what way was it better for you tho? As in, what was not corrected doing a hard reset but was with re-flash? In other words, I'm wondering if in your case it was a firmware issue that was resolved or an actual OS issue, or radio stack, BT stack, etc.

I have found overall improvements in the phone. Its much faster all more smoother and I have found it more reliable to do it this way! I haven't had problems with my hardware but I have found that flashing the phone is greater.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05