[Lumia 640 XL] How is Windows 10 on it?

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I just ordered a Lumia 640 XL and I wanted to see how Windows 10 has been performing on it. For those who have installed it could you let me know how the experience has been with it?

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
a hard reset is recommended but not a requirement. Especially with some of the earlier builds it was definitely helping.
as to your question when to upgrade that is entirely up to you. we are pretty close to an official release of W10M that you might as well just wait for that.

cheers

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I would absolutely do a hard reset once 10 is installed, then don't do a restore, start from scratch (yeah, sucks). Then let every app update/install before you launch or setup anything. Make sure update from the store before you do ANYTHING else.

In my experience this gives the best experience without having random issues like glance screen controls missing etc.

PlaymoBg

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I am with W10 for some days. Hard reset was a must. My battery was a disaster.

After the hard reset everything seems fine to me. The phone menu is a bit slower and the glance screen wont show date. I am happy with the look and feel of W10, to me it's better than W8.1
So far nasty messenger waiting for network problem is gone.

EDIT: Just got an update for the glance screen and now It can show the date too.

Last edited:

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I would absolutely do a hard reset once 10 is installed, then don't do a restore

I won't be restoring anything because it will be my first Windows Mobile device ever. Would I use my existing Microsoft account that I use on all my PC's to log in to the phone?

itguyjax8430

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Just got an update for the glance screen and now It can show the date too.

Nice, I was reading one of the main articles posted yesterday about updates. Sounds like Microsoft is going to put the phone OS on the same schedule as the PC OS for weekly updates. That to me sounds pretty awesome.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, use your normal Windows account login that you do for all of your accounts, it will link everything together that way.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I've been running Windows 10 for about a week & a half and did not do a hard reset. It doesn't seem to be causing any issues.

I do have a question though. In WP 8.1, I had the theme color set to crimson, a much darker red than the options that seem to be built into Windows 10. See the image below of my accent colors after the upgrade from WP8.1 to the Windows 10 preview. My selected color is at the end of the color options. If I were to reset my phone, would I be able to get this color back via restore, or would I be stuck with the built-in options?

When I tried a previous preview build a few months ago, I could not get the accent color I had been using, even after restoring settings from a previous backup. I don't really understand the decision to remove previously available colors in WP8.1 from the Windows 10 builds, but for me, losing your personal preference on customizing the phone's display setting would be one deterrent in performing a master reset after the upgrade.
theme.png

stulec52

Dec 17, 2015
Visit site
I also just picked up a 640 XL this week.
really like it so far, would like to try Windows 10 on it.
any easy ways to get it? or just wait for the official update?
thanks

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I also just picked up a 640 XL this week.
really like it so far, would like to try Windows 10 on it.
any easy ways to get it? or just wait for the official update?
thanks

easiest way to get it is by downloading windows insider app to your phone. sign up to get preview builds and enroll to fast or slow (likely more stable) builds.

next best option is to wait for official OTA beginning of 16, whatever that means - only MS knows.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea