[Lumia 640 XL] How is Windows 10 on it?

dimi516

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Can't believe that no one say's anything abut camera!!!I own a 640xl and the only reason I went back to w8.1 is that sh**** camera...the quality is poor and it takes forever to see a photo when you take it...the "last touches" takes forever..BUT everything else works almost perfect.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Can't believe that no one say's anything abut camera!!!I own a 640xl and the only reason I went back to w8.1 is that sh**** camera...the quality is poor and it takes forever to see a photo when you take it...the "last touches" takes forever..BUT everything else works almost perfect.

the camera works perfectly fine on two of our 640XL. Have you considered it may be your phone or your settings?
Turn your living images or rich capture off and see if that helps. If you've done that then possibly do a hard reset. If you've done that also then it might be your phone. Living images is notorious for leaving your images in bad quality if you don't know it's on. My wife got headaches from that until we realized that it was on and that she either had a moving object or moved the camera after the click. The end product is a messed up image in the photo app.

This was taken on two prior builds (10581) and there was no post processing or resuming involved.
WP_20151110_14_20_16_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

dimi516

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
the camera works perfectly fine on two of our 640XL. Have you considered it may be your phone or your settings?
Turn your living images or rich capture off and see if that helps. If you've done that then possibly do a hard reset. If you've done that also then it might be your phone. Living images is notorious for leaving your images in bad quality if you don't know it's on. My wife got headaches from that until we realized that it was on and that she either had a moving object or moved the camera after the click. The end product is a messed up image in the photo app.

This was taken on two prior builds (10581) and there was no post processing or resuming involved.
View attachment 119078

I've done everything..still takes forever to see the photo when you take one...if was a phone problem I think it want matter in what OS I'm taking the photo..I know though that everyone has different issues even its the same phone...i hope that's a problem that is going to be fix with official release,because everything else works fine.. it might be something about region or something(I'm in Greece).I don't know...excuse my English..

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I don't take a lot of photos. When I do, I usually turn on rich capture because I like the option to choose the best lighting after the fact. I just snapped two quick photos to see the difference in how quickly they are available.

After taking the photo, both pulled up an image in less than a second with the "applying finishing touches" message, but the full image is still viewable while it does so. The photo without rich capture was done with the finishing touches in about a second while the photo with rich capture took about 8 seconds to process.

dimi516

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I don't take a lot of photos. When I do, I usually turn on rich capture because I like the option to choose the best lighting after the fact. I just snapped two quick photos to see the difference in how quickly they are available.

After taking the photo, both pulled up an image in less than a second with the "applying finishing touches" message, but the full image is still viewable while it does so. The photo without rich capture was done with the finishing touches in about a second while the photo with rich capture took about 8 seconds to process.

I installed Lumia camera on the phone(not in SD card) and now it takes about 5 seconds without rich capture and 12 seconds when it's on..before that I had to wait 20 seconds without rich capture!!!!now it's ok for me...and I am happy with my phone and w10 mobile..except Facebook of course!!! 😃 😁 😃 😁
!!!IT SUCKS ???

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I find the camera performance is not as good when I was on WP8.1.

True

Yeah I totally agree.... but the .39 build fixed the loading in photo apps.... I am not taking much pictures so I am ok so far... but the quality drop by far! I did mention it is some comments ago

I've done everything..still takes forever to see the photo when you take one...if was a phone problem I think it want matter in what OS I'm taking the photo..I know though that everyone has different issues even its the same phone...i hope that's a problem that is going to be fix with official release,because everything else works fine.. it might be something about region or something(I'm in Greece).I don't know...excuse my English..

I have the same issues, so I do understand. It needs to be fixed. It takes forever to load pictures. SO normally I would take pictures and everything and then i'll simply open photo apps and it loads fast and everything in there...BUT IT REALLY TAKES FOREVER "applying final touches". Other than that its working perfectly fine

Last edited by a moderator:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
One other possible problem could be slow saving to the uSDCard if the card is not performing at 100% or even has bad sectors etc.
I would try to temporarily save images to the device instead of the SDCard and see if that changes the process. If it is already saving to the device I'd also try the other way around.
Hope your problem gets solved soon. I'd go nuts if my camera would do that.

dimi516

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issues, so I do understand. It needs to be fixed. It takes forever to load pictures. SO normally I would take pictures and everything and then i'll simply open photo apps and it loads fast and everything in there...BUT IT REALLY TAKES FOREVER "applying final touches". Other than that its working perfectly fine

I think I found the solution..i install camera app in device(not in sd card) and it's almost like w8.1!!!!just try it!!!also go to settings and choose that your photos will be saved in device.you should be fine then...but first of all install .36 update.

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I think I found the solution..i install camera app in device(not in sd card) and it's almost like w8.1!!!!just try it!!!also go to settings and choose that your photos will be saved in device.you should be fine then...but first of all install .36 update.

I already had .39 installed and camera installed on device, its just the photo location I never had. I read about this idea in an article before but I already have only 1.8g free on my phone. Its not like we have a portion of memory to choose from, plus it still has its delay. I prefer wait couple more seconds that to full up my phone memory to slow it down. Not really much of a photographer to begin with, just take a picture here and there when the moment arrives.

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site

but thanks though

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
glad to hear the save to device instead of SDCard suggestion solved your problem.That is only a temporary solution though in my book. I suggest you try what I posted below.

I already had .39 installed and camera installed on device, its just the photo location I never had. I read about this idea in an article before but I already have only 1.8g free on my phone. Its not like we have a portion of memory to choose from, plus it still has its delay. I prefer wait couple more seconds that to full up my phone memory to slow it down. Not really much of a photographer to begin with, just take a picture here and there when the moment arrives.
The suggestion to save to device was meant temporarily to see if that solves the problem. If it does I suggest you check the SDCard on the PC for errors and reformat. Temporarily save the SDCard contents to the PC. If that doesn't help I suggest investing in a better SDCard. You may want to try a faster "4k" SDCard.

Last edited:

bhaskar24

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Upgraded L640XL (LTE DUAL SIM) to W10 mobile to 10586.36 through 10586.29. Performance is good, though not without few problems.
The most noticeable thing is UI which was somewhat childish on WP8.1. Now it looks more polished, mature and evolved. Of course, it isn't consistent throughout the OS and apps/games seem not to be well optimized for 5.7" screen as it's in WP 8.1.
The biggest problem is that apps, especially games on SD card don't work smoothly. Observed that games like Asphalt 8 Airborne, Jet Pack Joyride, even Temple Run 1 & 2 etc. stutter while stored in SD card memory and work smoothly while in Phone's internal memory.
(Has Subway Surfers been withdrawn from store?)
Don't know what's happened to TOUCH SENSITIVITY setting. It's not seen in SETTING>EXTRA>TOUCH.
Is it possible to change EDGE>SETTING>READING VIEW FONT SIZE? In my case it's not happening. (It can be done by changing SETTING>EASE OF ACCESS>MORE OPTIONS>TEXT SCALING.)
Speaking about Camera, photo processing is still slow. Wonder why Rich Capture mode doesn't work exactly as in WP 8.1. Lenses were not visible first even after complete installation & update of apps. After hard reset, the problem resolved.
Otherwise performance is really very good. Can be termed as snappy for most of the times.
One consistent problem which has been frequently occurring is that office apps ask sometimes for Office 365 subscription and the apps require to be uninstalled & reinstalled. It's weird.
When will MS make full features of Groove music & Films &TV available for India?
Lastly, battery life is a somewhat lesser. Though not worrisome.

griesmonkey

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
I have a replacement 640XL on the way. My current one is restarting during phone calls and has the yellow area in top right corner of screen. Question is, should I immediately install .36 and do a complete reset with it? This would be the ideal opportunity. Is it a stable enough everyday build? I don't really play any games on it. Camera/Facebook/Twitter are my core apps aside from e-mail and browsing the web.

Use weatherbug, ESPN, WatchESPN, CBSSports, Plex, and Youtube as well.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
has been answered many times in this forum. From my own experience and what I've seen from others mostly it's good for a daily driver. If your old one was working fine on W10M before you sent it out and you have a backup, you could do a restore. If your last 640XL was on WP8.1 I would recommend a hard reset after upgrade and start from scratch.
Others had good experience even with a restore from an WP8.1 backup. You can try that first and decide for yourself whether you need to start from scratch. YMMV

griesmonkey

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Yea I've read other threads and everyone has been hit and miss as far as process they followed. I really don't plan on keeping this phone past march/April and WM has been a worse experience than I remember having on my 920. no progress has been made in 3 years for app development for the apps I use. And now, this whole rollout of new OS is taking 6 months longer than I care to wait for. Especially a solid working OS.

The device will be a blank slate to start so I might as well go with WM10 to see if it's worth it.

ivan_m

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
My experience is - don't install Windoes 10 untill offcial release.
First build was great. After that and 2 more technical previews, phone was unusable. Had to revert to Windows 8.1

R3mis

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
My experience is - don't install Windoes 10 untill offcial release.
First build was great. After that and 2 more technical previews, phone was unusable. Had to revert to Windows 8.1

I agree. At this stage, W10M is a pile of garbage. Just wait for official release. (Lumia 930 here)

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I agree. At this stage, W10M is a pile of garbage. Just wait for official release. (Lumia 930 here)

Others and I disagree. What maybe a true assessment for you may not be for others. Don't generalize. If it's truly a pile of garbage now, how do you think is it going to be better with an official release that is only a month away? The wait will give you little under the hood improvements and I'm afraid it'll be still mostly a pile of garbage for you.

I am sorry it's not working well for you on your L930. We have two 640XL and two 640s here and we are all happy campers.

cheers and merry Christmas

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss