[Lumia 640 XL] How is Windows 10 on it?

steadydon

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I like my 640xl, however, has anyone had the problem I seem to be facing. The problem is that at times when on a call and I have it on speaker all of a sudden it sounds terrible like a blown speaker. But if I hang up and call back it's fine. It also happens on my 640. I'm trying to determine if it a software issue which I think it is since whenever I play music through it I never have that issue. I'm running the latest Windows 10 but it's been happening now and then for a few builds. Maybe I should but my 640 back to 8.1 for a while and see it the problem remains.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
steadydon. My wife doesn't have this issue with the latest W10M. Nobody else in the family uses speaker phone on their 640 (XL). I often listen to phone calls over headphones, but have not experienced that problem either. But I have seen this exact problem mentioned in another thread somewhere.

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
I am really disappointed with Microsoft... It's been years now and their product has so many bugs. I've been hearing it's a product been testing, it's still in beta form, but hasn't it been years now. What is it that apple is doing and Microsoft isn't? I would prefer a more expensive phone with a classy interface (win10) and unlimited apps than a phone with so many bugs. I'm starting to feel outdated, because even Microsoft apps runs even better on other phones and that's what annoys me the most. Is it because we are loyal windows fan, they choose to neglect us easily?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
- 2x many bugs
- still in beta form
- no "unlimited apps"
- outdated
- apps runs even better on other phones
- neglect us

sounds like it is time to switch to an iPhone or Android phone.
I could talk to each one of these but I don't think the OP wanted to start a discussion about why MS is still in the smartphone business. [(a), (b), (c), (d), (e)...]. Probably a good idea to do this in an appropriate thread.

good luck

Last edited:

vinceteddy

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
lumia 640xl with windows preview build upgrade to wm10: camera is second rate now...in wpm8.1 camera was awesome now its a fail in wpm10.
glance screen is also second rate as it does not show your screen saver photo on sleep;
the automatic location service for an app called timeme does not work in wpm10 even with inputting your own city/town location manually for northern Canada;
notification info works randomly, I have to input or change the notifications for what needs to be displayed on sleep/lock screen;
pro: pretty decent battery life;
my opinion: barely a passing grade; lotsa work for fixing these bugs.

anon(9707071)

Nov 1, 2015
Visit site
lumia 640xl with windows preview build upgrade to wm10: camera is second rate now...in wpm8.1 camera was awesome now its a fail in wpm10.
glance screen is also second rate as it does not show your screen saver photo on sleep;
the automatic location service for an app called timeme does not work in wpm10 even with inputting your own city/town location manually for northern Canada;
notification info works randomly, I have to input or change the notifications for what needs to be displayed on sleep/lock screen;
pro: pretty decent battery life;
my opinion: barely a passing grade; lotsa work for fixing these bugs.

yes and you are aware WM10 is not finished? that is why it has been delayed !

scottinmd

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a 640XL which replaced a 1020 after a 920. W10 is a downgrade in terms of performance. Slow screen response when using outlook. The email formatting is off in many cases. (Fonts not rendering, graphics not loading, etc.) The screen will not render fully. For example, when going to settings, submenus will only partially load. Emails will partially load despite setting to download despite the connection type (wi-fi and cellular). I use both an iPhone 6S plus and my lumia for work. More and more, I can no longer count on my phone to do basic functions like make a phone call. It just sits there. Out of frustration, I pick up the iPhone because I have to get my work done.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
sorry about your experience. I assume you have done a hard reset and did not recover from a backup. We do not have the issues you mention with our two 640XLs. The device storage of the 640XL is very limited at 8Gb. If you have less than 1Gb space left the system will slow down. I'd suggest moving stuff to the SDCard in that case. If you have enough space on the device then I'd suspect some hardware issue, specifically the incomplete screen rendering you mention is odd.

Prince Pusey

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
sorry about your experience. I assume you have done a hard reset and did not recover from a backup. We do not have the issues you mention with our two 640XLs. The device storage of the 640XL is very limited at 8Gb. If you have less than 1Gb space left the system will slow down. I'd suggest moving stuff to the SDCard in that case. If you have enough space on the device then I'd suspect some hardware issue, specifically the incomplete screen rendering you mention is odd.
Those issues mmentioned earlier is new to me

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a 640XL which replaced a 1020 after a 920. W10 is a downgrade in terms of performance. Slow screen response when using outlook. The email formatting is off in many cases. (Fonts not rendering, graphics not loading, etc.) The screen will not render fully. For example, when going to settings, submenus will only partially load. Emails will partially load despite setting to download despite the connection type (wi-fi and cellular). I use both an iPhone 6S plus and my lumia for work. More and more, I can no longer count on my phone to do basic functions like make a phone call. It just sits there. Out of frustration, I pick up the iPhone because I have to get my work done.

W10 on my 640XL is good, never a problem like you're having. I also assume you didn't restore from an 8.1 backup right?

mcgilli

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Works perfectly for me. This is my first MS phone ever.

Phone arrived new with 8.1.

Installed Windows Insider Fast ring, and it showed the .29 update was available. I installed that. I checked Windows insider again after the install and a hard reset - and there was nothing available.

I rebooted after which it needed 32 software updates via Store. I then restarted again and then it required another 16 software updates from the store.

I ran Windows insider again and then it showed that .36 was available. Downloaded and installed that. Hard reset.

It then required 38 software updates via Store, then I rebooted and it showed 14 software updates were required. Installed those, rebooted - and I have not had a single problem with the phone. Connected it to all my bluetooth devices, setup all programs and perfect.

Battery life is excellent. I cannot compare to 8.1 - only to Galaxy Note, iPhone and BB and this phone has the best battery life I've ever seen.

Using this as my main phone now for a week without a stutter on it. Aside from no Outlook notification (well noted) and call/sms filter (well noted) not working I can't tell this is pre release software.

Glad I saved the money and bought this phone instead of going for something 3x as much like I had been planning...

Englischdude

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
went back to 8.1 on mine. there were some small things which were bugging me with notifications etc. Nothing major though. As the official release should come soon I will wait for that.

Craig Snively

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
Initially W10 on my 640XL was great, then the .36 update came out and the phone started to randomly reboot, apps would begin to open and then return to the start screen. I reloaded W8.1, then updated to 10 again, and the same thing happened. So maybe there is a hardware problem, but W8.1 doesn't do any of this. So I'll wait awhile for the release to come out, if it does in a timely manner and then retry.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Initially W10 on my 640XL was great, then the .36 update came out and the phone started to randomly reboot, apps would begin to open and then return to the start screen. I reloaded W8.1, then updated to 10 again, and the same thing happened. So maybe there is a hardware problem, but W8.1 doesn't do any of this. So I'll wait awhile for the release to come out, if it does in a timely manner and then retry.

Have never had this problem with my phone, w10m has always been rock solid on it, through all insider versions.

Craig Snively

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
When the .63 build came out yesterday, I installed that. And now everything is working great again. Must have been something strange for me in the earlier build. I'm back to liking W10 ;)

ShawnC13

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I have found the 63 to be the best I have had on the XL for sure. Quick responses. Band works better with it as well. Things are getting close for release I would think

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Mine's been a daily driver for a while with latest Insider builds. As such, it's buggy. Mobile hotspot has been spotty. Need to reboot for it to work sometimes. Runs great for what I use it for. Click for larger images

wallpapers:
A Clockwork Orange.jpg

d297ddd1f4e21ae0f233578dd33a2e8d.jpg

Some snaps from the camera. Panoramas stitched using Microsoft ICE :

WP_20160113_14_26_37_Pro_stitch(3) (50percent).jpg

WP_20160113_14_47_37_Pro_stitch_edited.jpg

PaulMilbank

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

This was my experience too. Works fine for a few days, then starts to have apps force close. In particular my camera. .63 was the best build so far, but it still happened there too. Back on 8.1 for now.

anon(8195883)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
on latest preview, I've had a few random reboots, can't remember the last time that happened though. It's been a while. My band 2 works great with it, downside is ducktales remastered wont work keeps crashing :( boo oh wells. other than that, all is well. I do not have any notification issues on my phone or my band 2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss