Brand new 950, got a few questions! :)

MrWakett

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Okay guys, I am coming from Android and just got a Lumia 950 as a new work phone! Looks pretty cool so far and I am sure I just have to get used to a lot of things now, but I got the following questions that you might be able to quickly answer me.

1.) I imported all of my Outlook 2010 contacts from my Windows Notebook into my people.live.com Account from Microsoft. Now I was hoping to simply be able to sync those to my phone. However, it does not work at all! I have my Microsoft Account added under "Your Email and Accounts" and the Sync Settings are on under "Sync your Settings". Still, my People list is empty and it would be great to get my contacts in for WhatsApp! I also tried to remove my Accounts and readd them to see if that helps, but I can't even find an option to remove Accounts??

2.) Same thing goes to the Calendar. I followed the Microsoft HowTo (kb2459660) and after I set up everything from my Outlook, it states "On your phone, swipe left and tap Settings , tap Email+accounts, then tap-and-hold Microsoft account (or Windows Live) and tap sync." So this should work with the Sync setting I have enabled from 1.) but still, no Calendar shows up.

3.) I have a bunch of PDFs that I would like to open with the pre installed PowerPoint. Instead, the system would only try to open it with Edge as it seems and I can't see an option to use PowerPoint as an default for PDFs - something that would make sense for sure!

4.) In the Facebook Messenger, the font is huge and I cant find an option to change that, neither does it seem to be connected to my Phone Settings. Is there no way to get them smaller?

5.) I know there is a way to Install Android APKs on the Windows Phone 10 using some tools. But do you think at some point in the near future it will be officially supported as well? Since its a workphone, I dont want to root anything and guess for now I have to get used to not having certain apps anymore...

Thats all for now, I might update the thread with some more questions after I had some time to play around with the new phone!

Thanks so much!!

Cheers,
Chris

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Okay guys, I am coming from Android and just got a Lumia 950 as a new work phone! Looks pretty cool so far and I am sure I just have to get used to a lot of things now, but I got the following questions that you might be able to quickly answer me.

1.) I imported all of my Outlook 2010 contacts from my Windows Notebook into my people.live.com Account from Microsoft. Now I was hoping to simply be able to sync those to my phone. However, it does not work at all! I have my Microsoft Account added under "Your Email and Accounts" and the Sync Settings are on under "Sync your Settings". Still, my People list is empty and it would be great to get my contacts in for WhatsApp! I also tried to remove my Accounts and readd them to see if that helps, but I can't even find an option to remove Accounts??

2.) Same thing goes to the Calendar. I followed the Microsoft HowTo (kb2459660) and after I set up everything from my Outlook, it states "On your phone, swipe left and tap Settings , tap Email+accounts, then tap-and-hold Microsoft account (or Windows Live) and tap sync." So this should work with the Sync setting I have enabled from 1.) but still, no Calendar shows up.

3.) I have a bunch of PDFs that I would like to open with the pre installed PowerPoint. Instead, the system would only try to open it with Edge as it seems and I can't see an option to use PowerPoint as an default for PDFs - something that would make sense for sure!

4.) In the Facebook Messenger, the font is huge and I cant find an option to change that, neither does it seem to be connected to my Phone Settings. Is there no way to get them smaller?

5.) I know there is a way to Install Android APKs on the Windows Phone 10 using some tools. But do you think at some point in the near future it will be officially supported as well? Since its a workphone, I dont want to root anything and guess for now I have to get used to not having certain apps anymore...

Thats all for now, I might update the thread with some more questions after I had some time to play around with the new phone!

Thanks so much!!

Cheers,
Chris

1 and 2 I can't help

3 if you install more than 1 program that can open a file each time you open the file from the files app it will ask you which app you want to use for them. For pdfs it asks me Edge or AdobeReader (install the latter to see that). I don't know why MS did not subscribe PowerPoint to that file type, it is someting they should change.

4 again, app fault if they do not fix it the only thing you can do is change settings at OS level but you do not want to see all other apps small just for one app to be ok. I have a 950 and I find it to be quite usable as it is anyway

5 this can't be done anymore. They botched the idea alltogether. It was possible in previous builds. It probably won't come back. Many disliked this, I actually think this was the right move. One thing is giving devs a way to easly port apps, another thing is emulating another OS, it's like admitting defeat.

Welcome to windows phone, it will be a rough travel, many died on the way :) good luck with your new phone! I'm loving mine, bugs aside!

MrWakett

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks! Sorry about 3) - i actually confused PowerPoint with Adobe Reader haha.

Now i downloaded it and noticed it has no Bookmark function on Windows phone 10 - so its useless basically.

I checked for alternatives and just tried "PDF Reader" as well with a bookmark function. Sadly, whenever I close a pdf, all my bookmarks are automatically deleted again? So, pretty much useless as well..

Does anyone have any other alternatives for PDF readers with a working bookmark function?

Thanks! Still hoping to get feedback on 1) and 2), which seem to be connected problems as I see all my stuff online when I log in to my Windows Account...

Cheers,
Chris

MrWakett

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Still didnt figure out how to add my contacst to the phone, its so frustrating... When I click to the settings and see my account, it says "Attention required" and then clicking on it, I get Error code 0x80072ee7. Before that, I actually had error code 0x8501001d and I tried googling for it but only find solutions for Windows 10, not Windows Phone 10 for my Lumia 950 :(

BryGuyNovice2014

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site

Thanks so much!!

Cheers,
Chris

Hello. This post is most likely for the first two questions

I would like to ask: have you tried to reset your phone and then set up the phone using the Microsoft Account to sign in? Usually, that is what you should be doing if you want to get the most out of the phone system.

Backup on Windows 10 Mobile
  1. Go to Settings > Update and Security > Backup
  2. Make sure the switch for both "Back up content from participating apps" and "Back up settings like my Start screen layout, accounts and passwords" are on.
  3. You can Force a Backup by entering into "More options" at the bottom of the two aforementioned switches, then tapping "Backup Now".
  4. Wait for it to completely backup

Once that has completely finished, you need to reset your phone. After your phone restarts and you will enter the setup process. When you are asked to sign in, use the account that has your contacts in there. It will ask you if you want to restore from a backup. In that instance, USE THE ONE THAT YOU JUST BACKED UP FROM!! After that, your contacts and calendars should be working alongside your email.

If you worry about having to sign in to all your services when you reinstall all the apps, the backup can also save sign in information to apps that allow it. I have used it before myself and it takes away half the pain of having to do it manually.

If this doesn't help, then you might be in for a more serious issue. Best you call customer support by that point.

Hope this helps. :wink:
Thanks for Reading.

MrWakett

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks!! it actually helped to solve 1) and 2) - guess you have to have a MS account and everything ready to go and sync before doing the first log in with the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon