Weighing options

Redn2000

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
I really love my icon, and though I'd love to jump to AT&T for the XL, I just don't know if getting off my family plan is worth that extra cost. Which sucks, because I really like windows mobile. I've also had my eye on a new Android phone, but I can't live without a removable battery. And I also know that there is a way to replace the icon's battery, or get a new one, but I'm also worried that'll cause wear down the phone too much. My plan is to make a decision in February when my contract is up, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

soil2oil

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
AT&T only offers regular 950 but I'm sure you know that you can buy the XL and use it on the network. The 950 is an awesome phone so far I must say. I've owned 5 previous windows phones. Before I had a 1520 and was worried about the 950 being smaller but it's really nice and I'm not upset about size.
The quick charge is amazingly fast, I'm not having any regrets about getting this phone.

Richard Zingre

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I bought the 950 and setup a new ATT line which cost about $100/month. I'm a Verizon customer with 6 lines on a family plan. After using the 950 for a few days I decided that it's not enough better than the Icon to warrant the cost. So I'm going to take the 950 back and wait for another chance to get a new windows phone. By the way, the 950 was incredible. The battery is great and all the features make it the most desirable phone available right now. It's just a shame that it won't work on Verizon. Maybe I'll move to ATT in a year when all our current phones are paid for.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
The 32GB on my Icon was starting to get limiting for me. Because of coverage, I can't consider ATT, so I went with a Droid Turbo 2 thru Motomaker. It doesn't have the removable battery so you likely won't feel comfortable with it, BUT, the LG V10 does. It's also a similar size of the XL - which is partly why I didn't go for it although I really wanted to.

The V10 doesn't have wireless charging built in, but can buy an LG backplate with the coils, or a separate coil pack to put on the cover yourself. The camera UI honestly is ahead of Microsoft's. I would keep an eye out for specials if your tied to Verizon like me, or perhaps some word of 950/XL support will come out.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I think it's still a little early, and we're not likely to ever have a direct comparison, but in reviews it did appear to do very well. If you like manual control, this would be the phone. There are two front facing cameras, one of which is a wide angle.

The drawback is of course the lack of a hardware button, and potentially how well it holds up running Android over the long haul. It's a top notch phone priced accordingly, so you hope you get good life out of it.

LG's Android skin/interface has been noted to be pretty flexible, but with customizing controls in confusing places and/or multiple locations.

For me, I was in the 'Droid world before briefly trying an 822 on a trip, immediately moving to a 928, and then Icon. You will notice some brief, jarring pauses in Android, even when lightly loaded. My biggest frustration right now is finding a calendar widget that works with Outlook accounts - most only read the phone calendar and Google calendars. I would much prefer to not move my calendar over to Google. The widget in the Outlook app could use some serious visual overhaul, given its WP Modern roots.

Redn2000

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
If you are looking for some better lightweight performance, there is always cyanogenmod, if there is support that is. And a phone with 2 cameras? That's pretty awesome, is there an option to use them both at once?

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Actually, yes, and even the main rear also, so all three at once. They image is composed of two smaller ones stacked one above the other, both next to a larger image. I think there's a video of this over on Android Central.

Redn2000

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
My other option for a new windows phone would be the possible surface phone. However, the only thing I know is that it's a thing that might happen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss