Will the Icon work with AT&T?

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I am jumping ship from VZW to AT&T for the Lumia 950 XL. I was wondering if I could still use the Icon on AT&Ts network if I switch the sim back and forth. I don't want my Icon to be completely dead and worthless if I go over to AT&T as it still as a perfectly good phone and I could use it for work and such when I don't want to use the 950 XL. If this is possible that would be awesome, If not then I guess Ill have to sell it for hardly anything...

Also if this works, what about a lumia 822? Will that work as well?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
My impression is that the Icon will not work on AT&T. One, it's locked to Verizon and you might have some issues getting it unlocked to work with AT&T. Two, Verizon is a CDMA network, while AT&T and most of the world are usually GSM. You might get some service on AT&T using the Icon but if it's there it won't be very good.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
My impression is that the Icon will not work on AT&T. One, it's locked to Verizon and you might have some issues getting it unlocked to work with AT&T. Two, Verizon is a CDMA network, while AT&T and most of the world are usually GSM. You might get some service on AT&T using the Icon but if it's there it won't be very good.
That is incorrect. The Icon is GSM unlocked. That is a requirement for Verizon due to a settlement when Verizon bought Alltel.

However, getting MMS to work on AT&T using a Verizon device may not be possible. There have been issues with MMS with Verizon devices on AT&T and T-Mobile.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
That is incorrect. The Icon is GSM unlocked. That is a requirement for Verizon due to a settlement when Verizon bought Alltel.

However, getting MMS to work on AT&T using a Verizon device may not be possible. There have been issues with MMS with Verizon devices on AT&T and T-Mobile.

Thanks for the reply. So what you are saying is if I place my sim in the Icon making calls will work but MMS most likely will not. What about SMS? And do I need to do anything special to get it to work on AT&T or just drop the sim in?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Will the Icon work with AT&T?

Thanks for the reply. So what you are saying is if I place my sim in the Icon making calls will work but MMS most likely will not. What about SMS? And do I need to do anything special to get it to work on AT&T or just drop the sim in?
Calls and SMS will work with no additional modifications.

Using mobile data will require changing the data APN to the one for AT&T. MMS also requires changing the APN to that required for AT&T, but editing the MMS APN might not work. http://forums.windowscentral.com/showthread.php?t=331662

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

The other thing is that, except if very specific areas, the Icon will not work on AT&T's LTE network. It will work on HSPA+ (which is almost as fast as LTE). Like Laura said, MMS is problematic though.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks guys... I got everything to work except MMS. I am using data on the H+ network and it's fast. I can live w/o MMS as this is just a backup phone. None of the APN settings I found online worked except one that said just enter "phone" for the apn and leave the rest blank. That worked and I'm on the HSPA+ network

shawnmos

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
There used to be a way but it looks like they disabled it on the latest build. :( We should all send feedback I guess.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

Yes please
Like I said I am using mine on T-mobile presently.....I posted about it on reddit and a nice guy linked me to a Windows Central thread
http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...-denim-internet-mms-maybe-other-carriers.html

I don't know IF it would work for Att but seeing as it works for T-Mobile and other carriers, I don't see why you can't use the same method. took five mins tops for me to do it.

Make sure you are on Windows Phone 8.1 when you do it. I tried to do it while I am on Windows 10 and it wouldn't work :/

But the good news is, when you do the method on WP 8.1 the settings do transfer over on Windows 10.

All you need now is the apn for att mms/data.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss