Weather on Glance screen??

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Finally, thanks chaps!! Pinned to start and tried again, now shows.

Such a shame all it shows is a little text. I remember having the full graphics on a 1020 i had for a while - that was cool. Was kinda expecting the same for the 950xl. Oh well. Tempted to go back to having main email as main now...............

Thanks again for the help!

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Oh, sorry. I was referring to the lockscreen / glance screen background support that MSN Weather had in 8.1.

http://allaboutwindowsphone.com/images/flow/glance/weather.jpg

I didn't realize that they had support for it in detailed status, but I need my Calendar info there so that doesn't work for me anyway.

Wow, that looks proper nice and useful compared to the new cutoff line of text in W10 posted above. Scratching my head why MS went from that in 8.1 to the butchered attempt in 10.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft keeps slowly removing the things that make it unique over Android and IOS. When they reach parity, that is when I jump ship.

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Edit - it did work. Put disappeared an hour or so later. Stick with having my emails as main glance.

Hoping this is something MS is looking into.

Bigsro

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Similar problem here for me with Twitter on the Lockscreen. Set it to show as detailed status but nothing...pain in the ***

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Ideally if an app appears in the Detailed Status lock screen dropdown list it should trigger that app to reset itself as necessary to show a detailed status. Opening, closing, pinning, unpinning, uninstalling, reinstalling, opening, pinning and soft resetting should not be necessary, unless prompted.

Edit: Weather working for me now after unpinning a non-working live tile, rebooting, opening the app and repinning the tile followed by a now working live tile. The info shown is the current temperature and one line of cutoff text; the first few words of a forecast.

Setting Amazing Weather HD as the lock screen background provides a much better experience for detailed info at the loss of a specific background image.

Last edited:

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Actually, I hate to say it but I think I have just discovered why Microsoft's weather app doesn't support the lockscreen background. Microsoft changed how the lockscreen unlocked from 8.1 to 10. In 8.1, the whole panel slid away. In 10, the bottom text slides up then fades away. When you slide up to unlock in 10 having something like Amazing Weather HD installed, the two sets of text run into each other and look really messy. I suspect they made a design decision to prevent this... though I wish the decision they made was just leaving the sliding panel that WP 8.1 had.

Kevin Corcino

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I came here looking to find answers on how to get the glance screen to show detailed weather on my 950xl like it did on my 1520 and 1020. I am very disappointed to learn that it no longer works. It was a feature that I used several times a day. I could check the weather simply by taking out my phone. Huge. Especially for an outdoorsy type like me. Overall Windows 10 mobile is really nice but I am sad to see that so many of the features that brought me to Windows Phone 3 years ago are gone. A couple of my favorites:

Facebook/Twitter integration. Photos, news feed, etc was so fast even over 3G on a low end phone. And FB chat integrated into messaging was huge.
Integrated music. It was so fast, never crashed, and looked and worked so much better. Plus, it hardly used any battery. You could literally let it play for 3 days straight on a single charge. And that phone only had a 1000mAh battery!

I understand the reasoning of making things apps instead of integrated but why not do both and let us choose? Just like there is the integrated camera and camera apps. And now that Windows 10 is the same across all devices making it easier for developers I'm worried that it will also make it easier for malware developers as well. Are we going to have to install antivirus like Android users?

Hopefully W10m is more stable than WP8. I never had to reboot my WP7 devices but with WP8 I was rebooting them once a week or more!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium