Lumia 950 makes a quiet 'hiss-pop' noise every six seconds

Steve WWW

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
My Lumia 950 has started making a little hiss and 'pop' noise every six seconds when I'm not using it. Has anyone else had this experience, or does anyone know the cause?

I first noticed it last night, because the phone was on a bedside table in a quiet room. Rebooting the phone fixed it at the time, but today I noticed that it was making the noise again. Every six seconds it sounds as if I had gently tapped the plastic body of the Lumia with a fingernail. It's clearly audible in a quiet room when the phone is in my pocket.

If I raise the Lumia 950 and put the rear speaker to my ear, I hear about a second of white-noise static followed by a "pop" noise. Hiss-pop. When the phone is unlocked and in use, the speaker makes a contiuous low static hiss. It only hiss-pops when the screen is in standby. Volume levels and disabling glance seem to have no effect. Putting it into airplane mode also has no impact, so I guess it's not likely to be interference from the radios?

If you'd like to hear it, download and extract the attached zip, or download a .wav recording from my OneDrive account, linked below. You may need to put on headphones or turn your volume up, but it should be clearly audible at normal listening levels. You'll hear the noise at 00:01 and 00:07 (the one second and seven second marks).

http://1drv.ms/1lHtvWO

I love my Lumia 950. But this hiss-pop issue has the potential to dampen my enjoyment a bit if I keep having to reboot the phone to fix this. I'm hoping that a future software fix will resolve this.

Attachments

• lumia-950-hiss-pop.zip
    581.7 KB · Views: 122

StephanSL13

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue. When it lays on my desk, it makes every few seconds your described "hiss-pop" noise. Only during standby. My Lumia 950 still runs the old build, because it also cannot get the 10586.29 update. I hope that this will fix the issue...

Steve WWW

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Do you have hey Cortana enabled? I wonder if its related to the always listening thing...

Good idea, pallentx. I disabled Cortana completely (could not find a "Hey, Cortana" setting) in Cortana > Notebook > Settings and rebooted. The hiss-pop noise was still happening after the reboot, but seems to have now stopped. To see if that was the cause, I re-enabled Cortana, and the noise hasn't come back.

I'm a bit bemused, but will be happy if that was the fix. I'll report back if the noise comes back.

woifi_90

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Same issue here. But Cortana is completely disabled due local availability.
The major issue is the battery drain that comes with it, 10% over night only because of the speaker who keeps going on and off.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I have the same issue. When it lays on my desk, it makes every few seconds your described "hiss-pop" noise. Only during standby. My Lumia 950 still runs the old build, because it also cannot get the 10586.29 update. I hope that this will fix the issue...

I have this build and I experienced this issue too once.

A reboot fixed it for me.

woifi_90

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
The app StopMusic solved the problem for me! But it's fu***** annoying if I have to use this app constantly to get rid of this bug.
Hope they fix this soon.

FightingScallion

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I have found that it starts doing this after I listen to music on MixRadio. Sometimes closing the program and giving it a bit of time will cause this to stop. On the other hand, the bug sometimes seems to persist.

Restarts always work. But it definitely seems to be a software bug that allows the speaker to remain active for instantaneous sound.

Steve WWW

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Good idea, pallentx. I disabled Cortana completely (could not find a "Hey, Cortana" setting) in Cortana > Notebook > Settings and rebooted. The hiss-pop noise was still happening after the reboot, but seems to have now stopped. To see if that was the cause, I re-enabled Cortana, and the noise hasn't come back.

I'm a bit bemused, but will be happy if that was the fix. I'll report back if the noise comes back.

The noise came back after two days. A reboot fixed it. I guess it's not related to Cortana, especially as woifi_90 has the same issue and no Cortana in his area.

Steve WWW

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problema... is this hardware or software?

Any ideas on how to fix??

It's probably software, and we're waiting on a fix from Microsoft.

If you want to help fix this issue, we need to tell Microsoft that it's a problem and make it easy for Microsoft engineers to solve the problem.

Vote and share debug information on this issue with Microsoft

1. On your phone open the Windows Feedback app
  2. Enter "Hiss and pop" into the search bar at the top. You should see an issue named "Hiss and pop from the loudspeaker after all sounds ..." with >9 upvotes.
  3. Tap the + Upvote icon to upvote the issue.
  4. If you want to add more information or send debug information to Microsoft, Tap the issue, and then press the paper aeroplane icon on the bottom of the screen to vote on the issue.
  5. If the issue is happening on your device right then and there, click Add details and add a comment or more information. Tap the focus outside of the text field, and you'll now see a button named Reproduce that you can hit to upload debug information to Microsoft.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb