Groove Music SD Card Storage Problems

ReachJasonHere

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
I've had my 950 XL since the first day of shipping. For the most part, I love it. I finally added an SD card (SanDisk 128GB UHS-I from Amazon) and was excited to finally get my music all available offline (I have less than 10 GB so I like the idea). Anyway, I started by testing a few playlists, got a few downloads done and then boom, it spontaneously rebooted. OK, I cleared off the playlists and selected the app option to sync all music to this device. Every time I fire up Groove now, the phone reboots 3 times. According to my file explorer, no new music has been downloaded. Ideas? Anyone else having this issue?

anon(9709784)

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
I've had my 950 XL since the first day of shipping. For the most part, I love it. I finally added an SD card (SanDisk 128GB UHS-I from Amazon) and was excited to finally get my music all available offline (I have less than 10 GB so I like the idea). Anyway, I started by testing a few playlists, got a few downloads done and then boom, it spontaneously rebooted. OK, I cleared off the playlists and selected the app option to sync all music to this device. Every time I fire up Groove now, the phone reboots 3 times. According to my file explorer, no new music has been downloaded. Ideas? Anyone else having this issue?

Avoid downloading. The instability in its general behavior makes it almost useless. Sync'ing to the sdcard from local storage via USB connection may be more successful.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
yeah it's not just a Groove issue..it seems to be an SD card issue in general. I gave up and just pulled my card out until such time that a fix is rolled out.

ReachJasonHere

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
It's the sd card, I use Samsung evo sd card 128gb it's fine!

So, you were able to do full sync of several GBs of Groove music data to your SD Card? I even tried just copying it over vie Explorer on my Wind 10 Desktop and the phone started rebooting so long as the SD Card was the destination.

I made my internal storage my default for music and then changed the setting in Groove again to sync all music to this device. It worked well but several of my OneDrive songs didn't make it into the "OneDrive Cache" -not sure why. So, I manually copied my main music folder to the internal phone storage via Explorer and after a bit, Groove had cataloged everything and all of my music is now available offline. It worked for my because my music is less than 15GB but that solution won't work for everyone. I'd like to use my SD card but would like to be confident that buying yet another card (the EVO) would be worth it =or perhaps it's just a software bug that MS needs to smooth out? So, I'm functional but wanting to use the SD functionality as it was intended, go figure!?

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a 200GB card with around 70GB of music on it and about 24GB of video and do not have any problems. I have downloaded a few from OneDrive, some using my music pass, but a vast majority were synced to the card using Media Monkey. (I like to own the CD and rip lossless)

It could be your card, but there could be a file, you may want reformat your card and try again.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I got lucky and have no issues with my Groove music on an SD card. But I say lucky because it does appear that the SD card feature of the 950(XL) is a temperamental buggar. And I don't think anyone can guarantee a specific brand\model of card is the solution. (From what I read)
I suspect that this issue will get addressed over time. Sure am happy that these aren't 8 Gig or 16Gig phones! With 32, I wouldn't really have to suffer while I wait.

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
I have over 40GB of music, 2GB of books and 14GB of maps on my 64GB SanDisk UHS-I card (almost maxing out the 58.2GB of available space). Granted, I copied over everything to the card from my laptop using a card reader, but have only one issue in accessing anything on my card. There's a slight lag of about a second or two, before any media starts playing. Other than that, no issues. Removable storage is awesome

ReachJasonHere

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Just took a photo and my phone rebooted. Guess where the photos are set to be stored? Yeah, SD Card. Ordering EVO because apparently I think I'm rich -or maybe just hope it will work better...

gsjansen

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I purchased the SanDisk Ultra 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card, when amazon was selling it for $39.00. so far it is working flawlessly in my 950 xl using groove music.

I have so far installed 7500 songs using file explorer on my surface pro three with the phone, and external drive connected through a hub.

All the files that I selected copied over flawlessly, and play using groove. have set up several playlists, and have been playing them while connected to a jambox via Bluetooth. all works flawlessly so far.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 950 XL supports' SD104 format

I'm using 128GB Lexar 1000x "UHS-II" half duplex microSDXC card with no problems yet! Backwards compatibly working 100%

I'm using this card even if I know that my Lumia 950 XL only has support for UHS-I "SD104" format limited 104MB/s bandwidth.

I used 75GB so far.

Last edited:

Swisschoc

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
There is definitely an issue with the SanDisk 128gb card. Came very close to sending my 950xl back thinking it was a fault with the handset constantly restarting randomly all the time. Fault now completely cured with the Samsung evo + sd card. Do yourself a favour and avoid using the SanDisk 128gb cards is my advice.

cba191

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
200gb is working fine on my 950xl as well. I've got about 150gb of FLAC and mp3s on it. I've done direct to phone downloads and file transfers with no trouble.

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1520, I have tried a number of different cards but always have a problem on boot up saying that my card maybe be corrupt would I like to scan it.
Only recently I have found that 7 of my friends and family who have all different Lumia phones and a different range of sd cards have this exact same problem.
If you let the phone scan the card it reinstalls everything, it takes ages. It then works great for around a week then it's back to the exact same error message. Grrrrrrrrrr....

th34monk3ys

May 26, 2014
Visit site
There is definitely an issue with the SanDisk 128gb card. Came very close to sending my 950xl back thinking it was a fault with the handset constantly restarting randomly all the time. Fault now completely cured with the Samsung evo + sd card. Do yourself a favour and avoid using the SanDisk 128gb cards is my advice.

Was that because I advised that card?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12