I just used Continuum for a meeting - at a Linux/Android company

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Good comment! And I think it is safe to say that Continuum is in its infancy. So as amazing as it is, it is going to get a ton of development. (I'm bullish on Continuum. Big time, in fact)

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
OK, and that would have helped me absolutely not at all. I wasn't about to tell the company 'wait while I go grab an Android device, download Office, sign in, transfer files, and then find a way to hook it up to the projector.'

I know you're trying to say there's more work going into office on Android than on Microsoft's own platform, but this wasn't something I had to fuss with it all. It was literally plug in an HDMI cable to the USB-C HDMI adapter and I was done. That's it. Yes, presenter mode has much to be desired, but it's a nice bonus. Presenting is NOT the core feature of Continuum. It's meant as a productivity feature for people on the go. This was an off-label use that I was happy to have.

I like the term off label use...in our industry it is a no-no, FDA really frowns upon that:)

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
OK, and that would have helped me absolutely not at all. I wasn't about to tell the company 'wait while I go grab an Android device, download Office, sign in, transfer files, and then find a way to hook it up to the projector.'

I know you're trying to say there's more work going into office on Android than on Microsoft's own platform, but this wasn't something I had to fuss with it all. It was literally plug in an HDMI cable to the USB-C HDMI adapter and I was done. That's it. Yes, presenter mode has much to be desired, but it's a nice bonus. Presenting is NOT the core feature of Continuum. It's meant as a productivity feature for people on the go. This was an off-label use that I was happy to have.

My Point is that you could have done exactly the same with Office on Android AND you would actually have had a better result (i.e. a real presenter mode).
There is no need for "wow, how cool Continuum is" as the truth (in this case) is that it was not cool at all.

Cantinuum was in this case actually less useful compared to what Microsoft offers for Android combined with the connectivity features of most Android phones.
I think many on this board should open their eyes and start to compare things more open-minded.

Last edited:

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
My Point is that you could have done exactly the same with Office on Android AND you would actually have had a better result (i.e. a real presenter mode).
There is no need for "wow, how cool Continuum is" as the truth (in this case) is that it was not cool at all.

Cantinuum was in this case actually less useful compared to what Microsoft offers for Android combined with the connectivity features of most Android phones.
I think many on this board should open their eyes and start to compare things more open-minded.

Are you seriously so entrenched in that reddit and digg mentality that you can't prefer something without trying to make others feel bad about what they like? Are you ACTUALLY getting off on downvoting in real life? What do you possibly think your comments are adding to this discussion? Do you think they are composed of retconotons and are somehow changing my actual, real and positive experience?

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

I could be a billionaire, if I had a billion dollars. But I make do with what I have.

Preach what you sow, with that open mind.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Are you seriously so entrenched in that reddit and digg mentality that you can't prefer something without trying to make others feel bad about what they like? Are you ACTUALLY getting off on downvoting in real life? What do you possibly think your comments are adding to this discussion? Do you think they are composed of retconotons and are somehow changing my actual, real and positive experience?

No, I do not think that is the ”thing”.
I’m not talking about the person, I am talking about Continuum vs the market standard.

The person that did the presentation has all reasons to be proud of a well done presentation!

What I tried to add to the conversation is that Continuum did not do anything special that could not have been done (in an even easier way) using a simple Android phone with MS Office.

Snoke

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
No, I do not think that is the ”thing”.
What I tried to add to the conversation is that Continuum did not do anything special that could not have been done (in an even easier way) using a simple Android phone with MS Office.
I have to wonder why then when ever I have seen a Continuum demo/review video or read a review - many from people who aren't MS fans. Not one has said this Continuum is no big deal Android does a better job ? I feel if your statement was true I would have head that from them likely many times. I believe Continuum is and/or at least will be a big thing.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I have to wonder why then when ever I have seen a Continuum demo/review video or read a review - many from people who aren't MS fans. Not one has said this Continuum is no big deal Android does a better job ? I feel if your statement was true I would have head that from them likely many times. I believe Continuum is and/or at least will be a big thing.

Fact 1:
There was a presentation made via Office/Powerpoint using Continuum and Office for W10M

Fact 2:
Office for Android has a "presentation mode" and is thus better for the task. It can also be connected via USB/HDMI cable or Miracast.

So, is Continuum the super cool/wow/big thing here in the example?

(I'm not downgrading the presentation, I strongly belive it was a very good one)

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
@Ian_Superfly: I understand your exuberance for your platform. Nothing wrong with it. I have the same exuberance for my platform.

You did have a serious error, however, in your presented logic. While everything you stated about Office on Android was true, it was based off of an incorrect assumption, I'm afraid.

Fact 1:
There was a presentation made via Office/Powerpoint using Continuum and Office for W10M
As stated in the opening post, he was using Microsoft Word, not PowerPoint. Does Microsoft Word have a "presentation mode" on Android? According to the write-up on the Google Play store, the presentation mode is only for PowerPoint.

Fact 2:
Office for Android has a "presentation mode" and is thus better for the task. It can also be connected via USB/HDMI cable or Miracast.
I'm afraid this doesn't apply, since PowerPoint was not used.

In order to do the presentation with an Android device, you would have had to do the screen mirroring technique, and it would have been less impressive, as you're going to see things exactly the way a phone would have presented it, only on a bigger screen. Word just isn't as impressive on an Android Phone as it is on a Laptop. With Continuum, Microsoft Word is able to change the scaling and what is displayed so that you get the full desktop experience, as if the presenter had plugged in a laptop instead of a phone. In THIS particular case, Continuum wins.

My understanding of Continuum is that the phone does indeed become a remote control for presentation for PowerPoint when doing a PowerPoint presentation. This just wasn't the case for this, since Word was being used. Someone with Continuum please correct me if I'm wrong there, it just seems that was something I remembered (hopefully correctly) from one of the Continuum demos that I've seen.

Also, since this was "business use", an Office 365 subscription would have been required on Android. It is not required for Windows 10 Mobile, which means Windows 10 Mobile saves money each month for this type of usage.

Great job, occamsmonkey!

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
As stated in the opening post, he was using Microsoft Word, not PowerPoint.

That is correct. This was a situation where my two co-presenters (who had the laptops for presenting) were unable to make it last-minute. The presentation existed in Word in an email chain. I would not have been able to make a PowerPoint as this happened at the beginning of the meeting.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
For my 2 cents:
I'm sure Android is a great product...I wouldn't know.

As for the Windows platform: I like it, I have always like it (since my 920, in 2012), and will probably always like it.

- the learning curve is consistent across all my devices - so when I find myself in front of an audience unexpectedly, on a device I haven't used in awhile, I KNOW that if it's a Windows Devices, I will not have to fumble with an unfamiliar UI, so as NOT to look unprepared.

-as far as my 950xl not having everything available, nor is it as mature AS IT WILL BE, I am quite confident that MS will have the presentation feature (and a lot more) available soon. Who knows...maybe they are working on a better presentation mode, and/or other MORE pressing features, but I don't feel slighted by not having everything, up and running - at the launch of a new and exciting UI. Heck I knew it was going to have bugs when they were unable to give a firm launch date at the Oct. 6th Event.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Just confirmed, yes, the phone can be used as a controller for a PowerPoint presentation while using Continuum. Unfortunately, it's not what the OP needed. Still, to cite Android's ability of doing a presentation as something not available in Continuum was a misunderstanding of Continuum and what has been implemented since the introduction of Windows 10 Mobile for the Office Mobile apps.

Having done this research makes me even more impressed with continuum. I want a 950XL so bad right now.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

How would he have hooked the Android phone up to the projector? And who's Android phone would he have used if he had a WP in his pocket and wasn't actually expecting to use a phone for the presentation? I'm confused by what your saying other than trying to make an unnecessary and totally unrelated point of MS apps being better on non-MS platforms.

Am I missing something here?

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm ok with the current bragging of IOS\Android users when us tiny contingent folks are celebrating our progress.
Cuz I think I am NOT exaggerating when I say I see what's coming.

I might never win a snap-chat debate with those folks. But they'll likely avoid me at the office, or in the car, or hotel room, or ..... when it comes to earning my pay. The writing is on the wall.

Having said that, my excitement isn't really about which platform wins or loses. I'm more selfish than that. I just want the power to accomplish at my fingertips! Continuum is incredibly on target in so many ways.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If anyone hasn't tried it before. Office Remote is a really cool app that lets you present from your phone. Only downside is that it requires a computer too with office remote installed on it -- integrated into powerpoint. It was I think originally only available on Windows Phone. I used it quite a bit, since you could fake laser point and preview the slide while not being tied to the podium. I don't know if miracasting from your phone works, the same, but it works well on my surface too with a presenter view. ONLY downside is still the lag with miracast for drawing, etc.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
@Ian_Superfly: I understand your exuberance for your platform. Nothing wrong with it. I have the same exuberance for my platform.

You did have a serious error, however, in your presented logic. While everything you stated about Office on Android was true, it was based off of an incorrect assumption, I'm afraid.

As stated in the opening post, he was using Microsoft Word, not PowerPoint. Does Microsoft Word have a "presentation mode" on Android? According to the write-up on the Google Play store, the presentation mode is only for PowerPoint.

I'm afraid this doesn't apply, since PowerPoint was not used.

In order to do the presentation with an Android device, you would have had to do the screen mirroring technique, and it would have been less impressive, as you're going to see things exactly the way a phone would have presented it, only on a bigger screen. Word just isn't as impressive on an Android Phone as it is on a Laptop. With Continuum, Microsoft Word is able to change the scaling and what is displayed so that you get the full desktop experience, as if the presenter had plugged in a laptop instead of a phone. In THIS particular case, Continuum wins.

My understanding of Continuum is that the phone does indeed become a remote control for presentation for PowerPoint when doing a PowerPoint presentation. This just wasn't the case for this, since Word was being used. Someone with Continuum please correct me if I'm wrong there, it just seems that was something I remembered (hopefully correctly) from one of the Continuum demos that I've seen.

Also, since this was "business use", an Office 365 subscription would have been required on Android. It is not required for Windows 10 Mobile, which means Windows 10 Mobile saves money each month for this type of usage.

Great job, occamsmonkey!

You are right! I admit 100%, no excuses.
I was obviously too fed up with the situation to even read the first post detailed enough.
Using WORD as described in the first post would not have been any better using an Android.
I bow my head to "the winners" and admit.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
How would he have hooked the Android phone up to the projector? And who's Android phone would he have used if he had a WP in his pocket and wasn't actually expecting to use a phone for the presentation? I'm confused by what your saying other than trying to make an unnecessary and totally unrelated point of MS apps being better on non-MS platforms.

Am I missing something here?

You are most likely not missing as much as I did. I was wrong as I read the first post as he was using Power point.
My point regarding Android/powerpoint was that it was at least as good as Cantinuum/powerpoint but as it obviously was not the case it is an 100% irrelevant statement.
I was comparing "having a modern Android with USB/HDMI or Miracast" to "W10M with Continuum" (that is what you where "missing" but again, I agree that that "miss" is nothing to the miss I did...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers