I just used Continuum for a meeting - at a Linux/Android company

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
You are right! I admit 100%, no excuses.
I was obviously too fed up with the situation to even read the first post detailed enough.
Using WORD as described in the first post would not have been any better using an Android.
I bow my head to "the winners" and admit.

It's not about winning. I'm retired. I don't care about winning anymore, except at Gin Rummy or some such nonsense. ;) Android is a very capable device. I happen to prefer the UI that Windows 10 Mobile offers. I really like where Continuum is going.

We ALL get that way at one time or another. Even when we don't like to admit we're getting that way. I'm afraid you and I have several things in common. We both are passionate about our preferred platform, we both get fed up with situations, and we're both big enough to admit when we make a mistake. We all make mistakes, we just don't all admit it. Only one man ever lived that didn't make a mistake ever, and they killed him for it. ;)

Thanks for your participation in this thread.
Having said that, my excitement isn't really about which platform wins or loses. I'm more selfish than that. I just want the power to accomplish at my fingertips! Continuum is incredibly on target in so many ways.

Exactly! I could care less who wins or loses myself, as I want to be able to DO more and be productive. Continuum is awesome for this.

Microsoft has stated, many times, that their goal is to empower every person on the planet to do more no matter what platform or device they choose. They want it to be seamless to go from PC, to phone, to laptop, tablet, HoloLens, wearable, or whatever future product may come. Use what you use, and be more productive.

I have nothing against iPhone or Android, but there is so much more to it than just a smartphone. Microsoft gets that, and Continuum is a first step towards redefining that market to where we will one day look at a smartphone the way we look at a "payphone/phone booth" now.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
For what it is worth:

The first night I was messing with the 950XL, I tried to connect to my 60-in Panasonic Plasma TV (maybe 5-yr old unit, with no usb port), that has a Push2TV 2000 (which is no longer supported by netgear) connected to it, and wham! entered the code displayed on the TV, and....CONNECTED to 950XL. COOL.

I must also note that I did the same thing with the Surface Pro 3 when I got it, and it worked on the Pust2TV 2000, straight out of the box - then subsequently, went to intermittent for awhile, now it is at total failure (for the Surface Pro 3). hopefully this progression won't repeat itself, for the 950XL.

X-topher

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
No, I do not think that is the ”thing”.
I’m not talking about the person, I am talking about Continuum vs the market standard.

The person that did the presentation has all reasons to be proud of a well done presentation!

What I tried to add to the conversation is that Continuum did not do anything special that could not have been done (in an even easier way) using a simple Android phone with MS Office.

The Advantage he got from continuum is 60fps @ 1080 with no Battery drain. The opportunity to use wireless, hdmi, display port connection options to the screen, the option to connect a keyboard and a mouse either by wireless, Bluetooth or wired, the option to have his files on a usb drive which opens his storage options to 6 Tb...

Can you do that on your Android?

Last edited:

KickAssLumia

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
The Advantage he got from continuum is 60fps @ 1080 with no Battery drain. The opportunity to use wireless, hdmi, display port connection options to the screen, the option to connect a keyboard and a mouse either by wireless, Bluetooth or wired, the option to have his files on a usb drive which opens his storage options to 6 Tb...

Can you do that on your Android?

Beating a dead horse, are we?

NoelTingzon

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
This is great for student to present their reports! ive seen too much whooa on my L1520 when know i can open powerpoint like a PC, how much more in L950/950XL

X-topher

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
Notice, how said Doomonger has Vanished once faced with the facts. No doubt he will be back with a new angle for us to disprove...

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Notice, how said Doomonger has Vanished once faced with the facts. No doubt he will be back with a new angle for us to disprove...
X-topher - I hate to admit it, but I've poked myself in the eye waaaay too many times. Everybody steps on themselves now, and again...I think our friend must of had a bad experience, and is still working through it, and boy, oh boy, I can understand THAT!

I think the take-away should be that he was big enough to apologize, and we need to step up and give him a pass, and accept his apology? I know I actually learned quite a bit (course, this is easily done:), from the exchange/rebuttal, both from you and rhapdog. So, I for one am glad Ian_superfly started the dialog. Please understand, I am not trying to preach, I just respecting both views, and the benefit I gain from your, and rhapdog's input.

Maybe we can build upon what we learned, from both you and rhapdog, of all the great ways to use continuum, and move on to the NEXT misnomer?

For the record, your technical input was great, and informative...Thank you for it (two thumps up!).

X-topher

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
X-topher - I hate to admit it, but I've poked myself in the eye waaaay too many times. Everybody steps on themselves now, and again...I think our friend must of had a bad experience, and is still working through it, and boy, oh boy, I can understand THAT!

I think the take-away should be that he was big enough to apologize, and we need to step up and give him a pass, and accept his apology? I know I actually learned quite a bit (course, this is easily done:), from the exchange/rebuttal, both from you and rhapdog. So, I for one am glad Ian_superfly started the dialog. Please understand, I am not trying to preach, I just respecting both views, and the benefit I gain from your, and rhapdog's input.

Maybe we can build upon what we learned, from both you and rhapdog, of all the great ways to use continuum, and move on to the NEXT misnomer?

For the record, your technical input was great, and informative...Thank you for it (two thumps up!).

There is a lot to take in..... The hot topic is people think miracast is the same as Continuum when it is approx half the quality at half the frame rate on all phones... It feels a lot different from projecting a miracast from the phone as to plugging in a wireless TV adaptor into the Display dock and then Projecting thru Continuum this is still not perfect but does give the option to send 1080 @60fps...

On the HDD if you use a wireless keyboard and mouse combo which only requires one usb dongle You could have a 6TB powered drive and say a 2 TB unpowered HDD or other accessories I think Microsoft mentioned USB to LAN adaptor as an ongoing project, which would take this phone to another level now they have announced that Remote PC is coming soon to Continuum...

Last edited:

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
There is a lot to take in..... The hot topic is people think miracast is the same as Continuum when it is approx half the quality at half the frame rate on all phones... It feels a lot different from projecting a miracast from the phone as to plugging in a wireless TV adaptor into the Display dock and then Projecting thru Continuum this is still not perfect but does give the option to send 1080 @60fps...

On the HDD if you use a wireless keyboard and mouse combo which only requires one usb dongle You could have a 6TB powered drive and say a 2 TB unpowered HDD or other accessories I think Microsoft mentioned USB to LAN adaptor as an ongoing project...

X-topher: people like me, need people like you...I thank you for insight. I joined this forum for exactly that reason...to get most of my phone, and be a productive as possible. There is a lot of talent here:)

BLKahuna

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
You are right! I admit 100%, no excuses.
I was obviously too fed up with the situation to even read the first post detailed enough.
Using WORD as described in the first post would not have been any better using an Android.
I bow my head to "the winners" and admit.

Can I just point out the Mr. SuperFly made a contentious point in this WM forum. When he was challenged he stood his ground respectfully. When he was presented with a "head-shot" argument to refute his claim he accepted it gracefully and admitted error.

I wish all forum disagreements could be handled with such poise and respect for the discusson.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
So, it looks like this thread has gone a little stagnate. Ian_Superfly...any suggestions :):):):):) - (my attempt at some good natured levity).

My last presentation (week ago Wednesday), I had to use my surface pro 3, with a AOK 13" monitors attached for my 3 person audience - I used: PowerPoint, Sway, Onenote and a couple of Word Doc (the meet was impromptu, and most of my time involved getting there). It went well (thank God), but I don't think I even came close to the full potential I had at my deposal. I have since purchased a Miracast Device (for the client's TV on the wall), HDMI cables and various adaptors (for the Surface Pro)...anyone have other suggestions? I'd like to hit the next one out of the Park :)

Sam Not Spam

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I just used Continuum for a meeting - at a Linux/Android company

Surprisingly, it went over well with a few 'woah!' and 'neat!' exclamations from the audience.
I'm... not actually surprised. I would sort of expect Linux and Android enthusiasts and professionals to be more geeky about this sort of stuff. If anything, at least with Android, if they see something really cool on another OS? I'd expect them to see it as something they'll get sooner rather than later. Certainly, the give and take between operating systems is super beneficial to the end user, and I think the more someone knows about OSS? The more they'd realize that.

I haven't had a chance to try Continuum, but I do remember my brother's Motorola Atrix with accompanying netbook/dock. I've seen what Ubuntu claims it wants to do for computers, tablets, and phones. And honestly? Great! The more demand for this sort of feature there is, the more it'll get done, and the faster it can evolve/improve for everyone regardless of OS. Win/Win in my opinion.

Sam Not Spam

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
So, it looks like this thread has gone a little stagnate. Ian_Superfly...any suggestions :):):):):) - (my attempt at some good natured levity).

My last presentation (week ago Wednesday), I had to use my surface pro 3, with a AOK 13" monitors attached for my 3 person audience - I used: PowerPoint, Sway, Onenote and a couple of Word Doc (the meet was impromptu, and most of my time involved getting there). It went well (thank God), but I don't think I even came close to the full potential I had at my deposal. I have since purchased a Miracast Device (for the client's TV on the wall), HDMI cables and various adaptors (for the Surface Pro)...anyone have other suggestions? I'd like to hit the next one out of the Park :)

I've started looking into software (Airserver) that'll let you stream Miracast and/or Airplay to a PC... that could be an option? Set that up on a Pro, maybe see if you can use it as an intermediary between the TV and other devices via HDMI and Miracast/Airplay?

Oh, and what was that USB3-C to HDMI adapter you used? I'm super interested in that now :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss