I just used Continuum for a meeting - at a Linux/Android company

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Surprisingly, it went over well with a few 'woah!' and 'neat!' exclamations from the audience.

This was a really cool feature for me to be able to pull out of my back pocket when my two co-presenters had to ditch the meeting. I didn't have a laptop and was able to quickly and easily get the information on to my phone and display it on a large screen via HDMI.

It did reveal two problems, both related to the fact that there's no 'presentation mode' to Continuum. One, you're stuck staring at the screen when the phone screen becomes the trackpad. Since the output screen was behind me, this was a bit of a pain. If you could get a live screen view under the mouse controls, that'd be pretty cool and useful. Two, there's no concept of presenter-only data. So when opening Word, all of my previous documents displayed - including a couple of legal documents. Luckily, they were all work related, but it could have been an issue if I'd been presenting to an outside company.

Those minor hiccups aside, it was a pretty sweet experience and it got out of my way enough to let the data be the center of attention, not fumbling with a bunch of different screen cast options and apologizing to the crowd. I can totally see this being a big deal for knowledge workers.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
To bad you did not have a mouse. The you could have had a presenter view.

You should definitely give your comments to Microsoft.

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Hoping my dock gets here soon......That makes me think of something: I have to do a presentation to my dept. soon using an Excel spreadsheet. It would sure be a lot easier having it on my phone rather than cart my laptop all the way down the hall to the conference room...hmmmmm...................

Billy Cantor

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
It did reveal two problems, both related to the fact that there's no 'presentation mode' to Continuum. One, you're stuck staring at the screen when the phone screen becomes the trackpad. Since the output screen was behind me, this was a bit of a pain. If you could get a live screen view under the mouse controls, that'd be pretty cool and useful.

If you use Miracast instead of Continuum, can you use "casting" to display the presentation wirelessly to the big display?

It would be great for Continuum to support a multi-monitor setup for a single app (like PowerPoint) so you could do this wired as well. Or for Windows 10 Mobile to at least support "casting" to a wired HDMI display as well. Of course this all may be possible already...not sure.

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
If you use Miracast instead of Continuum, can you use "casting" to display the presentation wirelessly to the big display?

It would be great for Continuum to support a multi-monitor setup for a single app (like PowerPoint) so you could do this wired as well. Or for Windows 10 Mobile to at least support "casting" to a wired HDMI display as well. Of course this all may be possible already...not sure.

No option to Miracast. This was an old projector that has a bunch of ports at the podium.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
What did you use to hookup to the actual projector? Is all that's needed is a USB type C to HDMI adapter for the most part? I know the display dock adds all the other options for you to plug in. Just looking for the easiest setup if you were in a bind.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
What did you use to hookup to the actual projector? Is all that's needed is a USB type C to HDMI adapter for the most part? I know the display dock adds all the other options for you to plug in. Just looking for the easiest setup if you were in a bind.

I don't know what he used, but yes, a USB type C to HDMI adapter will work.

anon(8977867)

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
I hooked up disp dock to my 950 XL last night, and to my Sony TV HDMI/MHL input using an (admittedly cheap) HDMI cable...and absolutely nothing happened. Has anyone experience of similar issue? Wireless casting works flawlessly on the same TV.

Billy Cantor

Nov 21, 2015
Visit site
No option to Miracast. This was an old projector that has a bunch of ports at the podium.

Well, yes. ;) What I was wondering is if you had a ScreenBeam Mini2 and tried plugging that into the HDMI port on the old projector. I know that's extra hardware (just like the wired dock)...I'm more just wondering if this could provide a workaround for you for the time being. Plus I kind of want to do this myself.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
You all know that there is a real "presenter mode" on the new Android version of Office?
I.e. Office on Android is better for this than W10M with Office over Continuum.

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
You all know that there is a real "presenter mode" on the new Android version of Office?
I.e. Office on Android is better for this than W10M with Office over Continuum.

OK, and that would have helped me absolutely not at all. I wasn't about to tell the company 'wait while I go grab an Android device, download Office, sign in, transfer files, and then find a way to hook it up to the projector.'

I know you're trying to say there's more work going into office on Android than on Microsoft's own platform, but this wasn't something I had to fuss with it all. It was literally plug in an HDMI cable to the USB-C HDMI adapter and I was done. That's it. Yes, presenter mode has much to be desired, but it's a nice bonus. Presenting is NOT the core feature of Continuum. It's meant as a productivity feature for people on the go. This was an off-label use that I was happy to have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss