To buy or not to buy this phone? Constant reboots major issue?

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello guys,
While many have pointed at me as either hater, troll etc I'have decided to give it a shot for this model. I've been using all major three platforms in the past two years going back and forth from model to model: iphones, HTC and Samsung droids, Lumia phones so I have a very good idea about what every platform has and has not, good and bad points.

The opinion I am looking for here is more related to the huge amount of complaints over two important features: BT and SDCard that cause reboots of this phone. Now I am aware that many here that reported this reboot problem are from the US with phones from AT&T and MS Store.
Is anyone from Europe that have the same problems? To be honest, the phone I'll buy will be from a mobile operator, so the warranty will be in place, but it's not a joy to buy it and then to return it because it has problems.
Last time I've checked, Orange Romania has sold quite a few and at least 6 persons I've been talking with, have reported no reboots with both BT and microSD cards in use, so either all of them were lucky or Orange RO has a batch of phones without issues.

As I've said, it does not matter what I do own now because I am well aware of each platform's sweet and sour, just want to see exactly on the point here about the main problem with this device: Constant reboots, and it will be useful for others to check a single thread with this single main problem.

Thanks.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
problem with the complaints you read about is this.... not everyone has them... I've had mine since AT&T shipped them and have only had 2 reboots. both related to the camera app (start the camera, reboot!)

As for Bluetooth, I have the same issue I have had with EVERY Nokia based Windows Phone in my car. INSANELY low volume. if i max the volume on the phone, it stops understanding me. so I have to raise the volume on my car stereo to be 2x the volume I normally listen at, which if i am not quick enough, means ear shattering music when it kicks back over. my other Windows phones (from HTC and LG) were a bit louder by default, and on Windows Mobile 5/6, i was able to tweak the registry to fix that issue.

My point? there is no rhyme or reason why some people are experiencing reboots or bt issues. Some have them with a restore, others on a clean install. Some with a bad sd card, others based on sd card formatting. it's just strange. what veryone seems to agree with, is that it's software based, and so hopefully, we get a few more fixes sooner rather than later.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
My 950 on AT&T locks up and/or reboots at least twice a day in light-duty use such as talking on the phone, using integrated search via Cortana or especially while watching YouTube videos in the Edge browser. With such powerful internals it's mindboggling that the OS stutters at times or doesn't respond instantly. The phone is slow to boot up -- seeming to take longer than my Lumia 1020 on WP 8.1 or my original Samsumg Focus running WP 7, which was the fastest. Avoid these handsets at all cost. There's no real reason to get one, Windows Phone is no longer slick, innovative or unique. I wish I just got an iPhone ...

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
My 950 on AT&T locks up and/or reboots at least twice a day in light-duty use such as talking on the phone, using integrated search via Cortana or especially while watching YouTube videos in the Edge browser. With such powerful internals it's mindboggling that the OS stutters at times or doesn't respond instantly. The phone is slow to boot up -- seeming to take longer than my Lumia 1020 on WP 8.1 or my original Samsumg Focus running WP 7, which was the fastest. Avoid these handsets at all cost. There's no real reason to get one, Windows Phone is no longer slick, innovative or unique. I wish I just got an iPhone ...

Have you contacted MS support or taken the phone back for a replacement?

I'm not saying its you, but many of the people complaining about issues seem to just be sticking with it. I don't understand.

As I've said, my 950 works great but rest assured the first problem I had it would have been returned for another and contacted MS about it.

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I've had no problem at all with my device or the OS. The only problem I've come across is that a lot of the games aren't optimised for Windows 10 so either don't work or don't run well. Absolutely no issues with the SD card or Bluetooth either, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the 950 works well with both cars we have and the Bluetooth speakers we have as well. Really impressed with the device and Windows 10 so far, much prefer it to Android.

CraigCole

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
I have not taken it to a Microsoft Store yet. So far I've had the phone for about a month and at this point I'm so disheartened and pessimistic about the whole situation I'd rather just pretend it doesn't exist, LOL.

Underscoring the issues I've been having, it just randomly restarted in my pocket about 10 minutes ago; I felt a buzz and when I took it out there was the little Microsoft logo. So far I've just assumed all of the trouble is from poor software; is hardware really to blame? I really need to take it in ...

VineRider

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I bought my 950 on day one from AT&T. First thing I did when I got it home was to do a hard reset and I did not restore from backup. I set everything up from scratch and I've had no issues with my phone. The first few days the battery life was sub par, but it settled out after about 5 days. I am not on the insider builds and I am not having any reset, heat or other problems. Really loving this phone.

netwirejohn

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
I ended up returning my phone back to ATT. Got the first phone on 12/4 and returned it on 12/13 thinking it was defective. The 2nd replacement started acting up again. I worked with ATT and Microsoft support, countless hours, countless hard resets and headaches and no mind you I work in IT and very disappointed that it does not work correctly. The constant battery draining (100% at 7AM and down to 30% by 12PM) with nothing running the background is alarming. Hard resets from WDRT and from the phone(s) themselves did not make a difference. Phone rebooting randomly and edge not opening pages correctly is also disappointing.

BSobotta

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I ended up returning my phone back to ATT. Got the first phone on 12/4 and returned it on 12/13 thinking it was defective. The 2nd replacement started acting up again. I worked with ATT and Microsoft support, countless hours, countless hard resets and headaches and no mind you I work in IT and very disappointed that it does not work correctly. The constant battery draining (100% at 7AM and down to 30% by 12PM) with nothing running the background is alarming. Hard resets from WDRT and from the phone(s) themselves did not make a difference. Phone rebooting randomly and edge not opening pages correctly is also disappointing.
I'm thinking att would do a warranty exchange with you if you are having such bad issues.

I am also in IT and can definitely understand the vfrustration with the issues you are havin

netwirejohn

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
ATT kept telling me to go to the warranty exchange center and MS support told me to send it in for warranty repair, but 2 of the same phones having the same issue I wasn't going to think that sending it in would solve anything especially if the issue might lie in the OS or software. Not only that but to be stuck with a phone that doesn't work well and to be paying monthly to ATT on the next program didn't seem worth it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon