No Review for the Lumia 550 by Windows Central

Status
Not open for further replies.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have said this since I got my 1320(No review on Windows Central). Windows Central doesn't care about low range and mid range phones. No review for the 550, GSM Arena has a review even before a platform that is supposed to be windows centric!! SMH!!

I think they do care, there's probably a reason for the holdup. They had a great review for the 640.

They have also reviewed the 435 as well. I am really hoping for a review from them though, sometime in the future.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think they do care, there's probably a reason for the holdup. They had a great review for the 640.

They have also reviewed the 435 as well. I am really hoping for a review from them though, sometime in the future.
AFAIK, the 550 is only available in Europe. WindowsCentral is US-based. They will have to wait until the device is available in the US.

xterminator777

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
AFAIK, the 550 is only available in Europe. WindowsCentral is US-based. They will have to wait until the device is available in the US.
Thank you Laura. Just wondering given Windows Central viewership and reach, why don't they have a review unit provided by Microsoft? After all the HQ and initial announcement is/was in the US

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Laura. Just wondering given Windows Central viewership and reach, why don't they have a review unit provided by Microsoft? After all the HQ and initial announcement is/was in the US
It's possible that Microsoft will provide a review unit if or when the 550 is available in the US. The 950/950XL review units provided to US tech sites were devices for the US market. Microsoft wouldn't be wise if they sent review units to US users that were incompatible with US LTE bands.

xterminator777

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
It's possible that Microsoft will provide a review unit if or when the 550 is available in the US. The 950/950XL review units provided to US tech sites were devices for the US market. Microsoft wouldn't be wise if they sent review units to US users that were incompatible with US LTE bands.
Hmmm!! From my layman's understanding review units are only sent to reviewers with info. Additionaly what I see from the specs all the bands are supported. Anyways, I just hope this isn't a trend, just calling for all round coverage. Wondering if mobile nations have resources in Europe that can cover such circumstances. After all we/you don't want windows central to be only serving US audiences & their conveniences.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You're correct. I forgot about that. I really like the way they do reviews here, so I'll be looking forward to it. I hope it will come out soon in the US, even if it is January.

@ xterminator777 : Richard Devine lives in Europe, so if that was meant to happen, I'm guessing that he would be working on a review.

xterminator777

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
The way things are going other sites will get more attention. I show you an example why I still think they don't care. Scroll to the upper right of this website. Hover over on Forums, do you see a quick link to the 550 Forums? (these links are usually put for the latest devices & software discussions).. Just an observation...

Richard Devine

Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have said this since I got my 1320(No review on Windows Central). Windows Central doesn't care about low range and mid range phones. No review for the 550, GSM Arena has a review even before a platform that is supposed to be windows centric!! SMH!!

I fear you don't understand many factors that go into what we do and don't cover on Windows Central. Needless to say you couldn't be more wrong. I personally reviewed the last two mid-rangers, the 640 and 640 XL and I have now taken possession of a Lumia 550 and will be reviewing that as well.

Reviewing phones takes time and it takes being able to get the phone. And now we have one.

xterminator777

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
I fear you don't understand many factors that go into what we do and don't cover on Windows Central. Needless to say you couldn't be more wrong. I personally reviewed the last two mid-rangers, the 640 and 640 XL and I have now taken possession of a Lumia 550 and will be reviewing that as well.

Reviewing phones takes time and it takes being able to get the phone. And now we have one.

Pointing out short falls or criticism is not a lack of understanding.
Other platforms are steadily improving and becoming quicker in reviews. Consumerism states that you should follow the lead especially in a focus lead website!

Richard Devine

Staff member
Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Pointing out short falls or criticism is not a lack of understanding.
Other platforms are steadily improving and becoming quicker in reviews. Consumerism states that you should follow the lead especially in a focus lead website!

Well you obviously don't understand. You can't review a phone without the phone to review. So I went and bought one so we do have one so we can write a review on it. What do we review without the phone? A render?

Windows Central is still a small core team with a massive ecosystem of products, apps and news to cover. What it looks like here is more that you're just keen to start an argument around a tainted viewpoint you feel is right and therefore everyone else should agree with you.

Whether you like it or not, Windows Central is now more than just a website and community dedicated to phones. It covers the entire Windows ecosystem and with finite resources we cannot and will not be "first" with everything. In all cases we'd rather be thorough and produce great content than just try to beat other sites to publish first. If that's all this business was centered around none of us would be here.

xterminator777

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Well you obviously don't understand. You can't review a phone without the phone to review. So I went and bought one so we do have one so we can write a review on it. What do we review without the phone? A render?

Windows Central is still a small core team with a massive ecosystem of products, apps and news to cover. What it looks like here is more that you're just keen to start an argument around a tainted viewpoint you feel is right and therefore everyone else should agree with you.

Whether you like it or not, Windows Central is now more than just a website and community dedicated to phones. It covers the entire Windows ecosystem and with finite resources we cannot and will not be "first" with everything. In all cases we'd rather be thorough and produce great content than just try to beat other sites to publish first. If that's all this business was centered around none of us would be here.

This isn't an argument but a mere observation. It's not about me rather about the Lumia 550!

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Windows Central doesn't care about low range and mid range phones. No review for the 550, GSM Arena has a review even before a platform that is supposed to be windows centric!! SMH!!

Really? "What fire"? That whole statement, including "SMH (so much hate)" is starting fire. Yes, the laws of freedom are there, but you have to also realize that the planet you're talking about isn't the one we're living on, which is Earth. In the year 2015, everyone gets offended by something, welcome to the present.

xterminator777

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Really? "What fire"? That whole statement, including "SMH (so much hate)" is starting fire. Yes, the laws of freedom are there, but you have to also realize that the planet you're talking about isn't the one we're living on, which is Earth. In the year 2015, everyone gets offended by something, welcome to the present.

"Definition of SMH in English:

abbreviation
informal

Shaking (or shake) my head (used in electronic communication to express disapproval, exasperation, frustration, etc.):
?They?ll do anything for ratings. SMH?

?SMH at your silly remarks?

?I can both understand the outrage and SMH at it?

Origin

Early 21st century: sometimes also interpreted as short for so much hate.

Definition of SMH in:
? US English dictionary"

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site

Um, the phone is not available here in the US officially and MS did not send us (or anyone) a review unit. So there's that part, which you left out.

Having said that, we did just drop $175 (B&H, overnight) to have one delivered tomorrow and we'll take a look. Richard, as noted above, will handle the review and I'll do supporting content.

If Microsoft is so unconcerned with this phone as to not send it out for review, then we are not exactly going to prioritize it either. But we'll do what we can with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss