EE 950XL wifi calling

Ian Datson

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi all (a bit long this one!)

I bought a brand new 950XL from EE online hoping to get the wifi calling feature. To be clear it has never been advertised as having wifi calling but the older crapper 640 has it so it can work with a Nokia/Microsoft handset.

Brilliant I thought as I managed to turn it on and and use it when the phone arrived! I even got a text from EE confirming that it was turned on!

Then a sim update arrived lie it quite often does with a new phone and turned the option off in Settings, Network & Wireless, Mobile & Sim, Sim Settings. Now there is no way to turn it on.

As I had tried and failed to get the .29 OS update to start I hard reset the phone and got the OS upgrade and lo and behold wifi calling was available to me again!

Happy with this I then ported my old number across and guess what, the wifi calling got turned off again after a sim update!!!

After a lot of phone calls to support I got elevated to the Tech 2 team and a very nice chap told me to hard reset the phone if that had worked before. He also confirmed that wifi calling was turned on at EE's end.

So I did another reset and yay, wifi calling was back on again!

Until I got another sim update and bam I was back in poor signal territory again!

So I reset again (4th time now!) thinking I may have triggered the update myself and got the wifi calling back again only to have another sim update and no wifi calling again!

Anyway, after two more phone calls to EE they have now told me that the handset is not compatible with wifi calling and they don't know if it ever will be! Which is bollocks as it has and does work as I have proved. They have turned it off with their sim update.

I am now very frustrated as this was my ideal solution to a poor signal in my house and my workplace.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks for listening!

Sad Nation

anon(5346243)

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Ian...
I am glad we use the exact same sources and media...
I have experienced the exact same and replied to your post on the EE community forum with a link to mine...

I have an non branded / unlocked 950XL and experienced the exact same as you did...
- Hard reset
- installed OTA 10586.29 update
- connect to wifi and set up EE WiFi Calling...
- See that my phone does connect to WiFi calling for 1 day
- receive the dreaded "Sim Parameter update"
- Wifi calling in Sim setting is gone !
- repeat !

I have written also a rather long post on EE community with screenshot of Before and After the Sim update...

Wifi Calling Lumia 950XL Before After on EE.jpg

1st chat with EE... => I can't have seen the WiFi Calling feature on the 950XL... I was dreaming! this is not possible.
2nd chat => not possible ! Only EE purchased device have the extra required EE firmware on-board ! I must be dreaming (again)!
3rd Chat => I send the screenshot of my "dream" this time! OK, maybe the setting is there, but EE didn't remove the setting, it must be a software issue, try to rest your phone.
4th Chat => I reset the phone, same problem...The guy told that I should never had access to this setting on a non-branded EE phone since it doesn have the EE firmware on-board...He added that my warranty will be void because I flashed my phone (as If I could find a EE specific 950XL Windows 10 Mobile ROM with EE firmware on Google !!!).
5th chat => OK, EE has removed the setting with the sim update because I have an unlocked / non branded device and it is against the company policy (only allow EE purchased device to use EE WiFi Calling...) I asked him about iPhone, does EE has EE branded iPhone ??? for WiFi Calling... Not that I could see, the "policy" only applies to Microsoft and Android devices, no iOS ? no reply!

So my experience on a non branded EE device shows that some firmware (all?) IS in the device already and simply removed by the network sim update...
Your experience shows that their EE branded device only "company policy" bla bla bla ... is not valid... (to remain polite ;-)).

I submitted a new thread on this forum similar (but shorter) to my EE community one...

Why does EE turn off / remove features from the 950XL ???

My guess, they haven't tested the 950XL and therefore remove the feature by default!

Anyway, we keep each other updated if we get anywhere with this !!!
Good luck

Tony.

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Had a text from EE today saying "Great news. WiFi calling is now set up on your phone. You can now use it to make calls and texts over WiFi".
Looking in settings on my 950XL, the WiFi calling section is back and it all seems to work.

nicktramontin

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
I contacted EE this afternoon via online chat as I could have sworn I saw the option quite unexpectedly for WiFi calling at one point but didn't think much about it at the time. I tried to find the setting again today but couldn't. Got EE to enable it on my phone and I got a text from them saying it is now set up and at the same time the phone crashed, I had to reset it by holding power button! Not sure that was related but I still can't see the setting. I contacted EE again and they said it was active on my account and to ensure I had iOS 8.3.... I said I had a Windows phone and they said that was absolutely fine, the last guy even asked my opinion as he wanted to get one as well.

So, my account has it enabled but my phone isn't showing the setting 😒

anon(5346243)

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Same here, after 2 days of battle on EE community forum, I got another "Sim parameter update" on Friday evening which put the WiFi calling setting back in the sim settings menu. I turned it on and i am now using WiFi calling for the past 2 days with absolutely no problem...
I can make and receive calls/txt in area where there is no EE mobile signal (local Tesco!).
Happy to finally be able to use my EE contract to the full...

nicktramontin

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Still not showing the WiFi calling feature so although EE have allowed it on my account I think something is missing ☹ how is everyone getting on with this feature on a SIM free 950 XL? I know officially a non-EE purchased phone (other than an iPhone) can't have this feature but the EE customer support people I spoke to both said it was fine and enabled it apparently.

anon(5346243)

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
@nicktramontin
Try
- Switch off your phone
- Remove sim
- Start phone with no sim, then off
- Put sim back
- Start phone again...
This way, i received the "Sim parameter update" which restored the WiFi call settings...
Not sure of this is linked, but worth a try...

nicktramontin

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
@nicktramontin
Try
- Switch off your phone
- Remove sim
- Start phone with no sim, then off
- Put sim back
- Start phone again...
This way, i received the "Sim parameter update" which restored the WiFi call settings...
Not sure of this is linked, but worth a try...

Brilliant, that worked 😃

Thanks a lot!

Ian Datson

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Basically if you have wifi calling turned on, if you have zero signal you can still make phone calls and send texts using your wifi signal which are still logged against your allowance. As I have poor signal both at home and at work it is brilliant as long as EE let me use it!

Last edited:

Ian Datson

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have just checked the EE website and it is showing the Lumia 640 and 950 having wifi calling on personal contracts and the 550, 640 and 950 having it on business contracts. Still no official confirmation of the 950XL which stinks after all this time!

Last edited:

nicktramontin

Dec 4, 2015
Visit site
Just had a SIM update which took my WiFi calling away, used the same trick as I did previously (posted above) and it came back again. So it was in place for a little over a month before being reset.

DjJooki

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
I have the 950XL on EE and I've got the wifi calling options in my settings turned on.
So that proves it is there and does work on the 950XL and on EE in the UK.
Do you have the latest phone update installed?

Thomas Crownshaw

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Just posted my solution on EE Community so just going to copy that here.
"I see this thread hasn't had much action for a while but I just wanted to share my solution to this.
I had the same problem as many people on this thread and the problem seems to lie in the number porting process. If you go to Settings > Network & wireless > Mobile & SIM > SIM Settings the phone should state your number at the top. Mine had 00000000000 ever since my old number was ported onto the phone, this is what I assume was/is causing the dreaded SIM updates.
This seems to be an OS problem, though it could also be an issue with EE SIM updates. The only solution I found was to put the SIM in another EE phone which would force the number to update, might work with another providers phone, not sure. Ever since I have done this I have had zero problems with SIM updates and WiFi calling has been fine. Hope this helps someone."

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3