stop rotating tiles on start screen

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
I am trying in any way to conserve battery. Is there a way of stopping the rotating images on the start screen such as the People and Weather tile?
Or at least a setting for how often they refresh if that is what is going on.
UPDATE: found Almost Metro Contact Manager and pinned that to start instead of the People Live Tile.
Now I need to find a weather tile that doesn't flip/update every 5 seconds like the MS Weather app.
I am open to suggestions from the cheap seats.

Last edited:

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
do you really think live tiles take much battery life? well it seems you don't know how they work. deactivating them won't increase any battery life. like on Windows 10 desktop, do you think by stopping them from animating you will be saving anything? no. they work that way for a reason... to give information. end. if you don't want something that rotates you can always have the small size.
There are anyway many alternative apps like you pointed out that probably have the option to disable it, but it's not because of battery life. it's becuase some people just don't want animated tiles.

so I don't understand your point about the battery. there are more options that can impact battery life more, like synching email, how of often app does it. the double tap to wake up feature, the brightness of the screen, how many apps you let run in the background that are not important to have them updated often (like if you only cared about weather app to give you info when you get in the app. not before. or a news app giving you push notifications... these things waste more battery than live tiles) or something like Glance feature, location, NFC, bluetooth, wifi.... many things waste batter more than simple live tiles flipping. so I don't understand why you get a smartphone but you are anyway dumbing it down so much just to save some seconds of battery.
I am not saying it's wrong to do it, but I find it strange your reason it's to save battery life, when flipping live tiles won't increase battery, and if it does, it will be just few seconds, especially if you compare live tiles to the features I just mentioned.

I don't know any weather app with no live tile though, don't really use weather apps, i only know a few like accuweather and things like that. so I can't help you about the list of apps with no live tiles but I wanted to have my little opinion to you.
you can actually change many things on WP to preserve battery... but I am sure if you unpin every app from start screen, you won't notice any real battery increase. what you can do it's see what apps run on background, how you set up your mail, and features that are useless like sending reports to Microsoft.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
_Emi_ summed it up very well. I seriously doubt live tiles uses any amount of noticeable battery. The purpose of such tiles is to give quick info and maybe even give a neat look. The processing power to achieve this I would imagine is insignificant in comparison to other factors. After all, unless you are just staring at the start screen for long periods of time, the live tiles just provide quick info. Most times you will launch the apps you want to use which would use far more battery. It is the background tasks to update some live tiles that would use more battery. Turning off live tiles by itself does not prevent these apps from updating so battery savings would be negligible at best.

Tyrion L

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
Live tiles flipping constantly is extremely annoying. There needs to be a single button somewhere to turn this "feature" off once and for all.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
This is true for some apps. I looked around a bit and could not find a way to turn off the rotating/flipping for apps such as people or folders. The only solution is to make them small.

Almost Metro Contact Manager (Contacts) app seems to adequately replace "People" and has no rotating tile.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
This is true for some apps. I looked around a bit and could not find a way to turn off the rotating/flipping for apps such as people or folders. The only solution is to make them small.

Yes I agree, I have already put feedback in to allow people to have a none live tile of people, photos where users can choose no photo display, etc. A lot of the worst offenders for live tile forcing are Microsoft. Most apps I've used have allowed a setting somewhere.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2