Windows 10 insider

ori freiman

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
We are waiting and waiting for the official release of WP10,
but nothing happening!

So my question is: Why not upgrade to Windows phone 10 with the insider program? what is the defects? or why should i do it?

Help me decide! Advantages and Disadvantages

gtdad

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded my 640 from 8.1 to 10 about a week ago. For the most part it was good. However, I couldn't send text messages, so I went back to 8.1 and decided to wait for the official release. Not sure if anyone else had this problem.

AnkitGondalia

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
We are waiting and waiting for the official release of WP10,
but nothing happening!

So my question is: Why not upgrade to Windows phone 10 with the insider program? what is the defects? or why should i do it?

Help me decide! Advantages and Disadvantages

If you have a phone with > 1gb ram and SD 400 quad core processsor,yes install the build.. No if you have a phone having 512mb/1gb with dual core processors.. The builds are still quite not usable one old phones

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded my 640 from 8.1 to 10 about a week ago. For the most part it was good. However, I couldn't send text messages, so I went back to 8.1 and decided to wait for the official release. Not sure if anyone else had this problem.

U hard reset at all?

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
No, I didn't. So, first I would have to upgrade again to 10, then do a hard reset, and the phone will reinstall 10? Or will it go back to what was originally on the phone?

Well... How would it perform without a reset at all?

boltman2013

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
No, I didn't. So, first I would have to upgrade again to 10, then do a hard reset, and the phone will reinstall 10? Or will it go back to what was originally on the phone?

Once you go to 10 upgrade ..a Hard reset will also go to 10...to get back to 8.1 you would use the recovery tool.

IS a Hard Reset necessary when going form 8.1 to 10...YES to get best error free performance

Without a Hard Reset you WILL get less performance and more errors

RitualLow

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I'm curious what the app situation is. Are the 8.1 and 10 stores pretty similar in size, or is the app-gap bigger in the 10 store because of it being an insider build as of yet? There's a few apps that I can't live without, and I have heard rumor that some of them aren't yet compatible (HERE suite for example).

Also, anyone out there on "The Force Awakens" build with an HTC One M8? Wondering if "Hey Cortana" is still a Denim exclusive, or if it made its way into an actual build for the rest of us yet.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone on Win 10 Insider been able to load android apps?
Specifically, I want to install Groove ip lite. Free wifi calling but the version in the current Windows Store doesn't appear to be legitimate.

aybarrap1

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious what the app situation is. Are the 8.1 and 10 stores pretty similar in size, or is the app-gap bigger in the 10 store because of it being an insider build as of yet? There's a few apps that I can't live without, and I have heard rumor that some of them aren't yet compatible (HERE suite for example).

Also, anyone out there on "The Force Awakens" build with an HTC One M8? Wondering if "Hey Cortana" is still a Denim exclusive, or if it made its way into an actual build for the rest of us yet.

Haven't noticed any app gap so to speak. I have a couple of apps that no longer are available when I went from 8.1 to 10, but neither was a deal breaker by any means. Added functionality of W10 has actually been a bigger plus. HERE works just fine on W10 for me. In fact even better since I can now save downloaded maps to the SD card.

The only thing that has really been a let down was the removal of tasks integrated into the built in calendar app. I actually used this function a lot on W8.1 so I am disappointed. However I was already using a notes app, so between it and Cortana, I have bridged this issue. I am hoping MS will bring this capability back in future updates, but I can survive just fine without it if they don't.

RitualLow

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
Haven't noticed any app gap so to speak. I have a couple of apps that no longer are available when I went from 8.1 to 10, but neither was a deal breaker by any means. Added functionality of W10 has actually been a bigger plus. HERE works just fine on W10 for me. In fact even better since I can now save downloaded maps to the SD card.

The only thing that has really been a let down was the removal of tasks integrated into the built in calendar app. I actually used this function a lot on W8.1 so I am disappointed. However I was already using a notes app, so between it and Cortana, I have bridged this issue. I am hoping MS will bring this capability back in future updates, but I can survive just fine without it if they don't.

Thanks, that may just be the info I needed to make the jump. If someone with an M8 tells me they have "Hey Cortana" now, there won't be any question, I'll do the upgrade tonight.

Kimmo Toivanen

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
My experiences with W10M preview:

W10M preview works very well on 640, battery life is very good. Mail, SMS, phone calls, apps - they work.

Responding to SMS in notification is very good feature.

UI - one can like it, but I think that generally it is just too small. What works in PC screen does not always work in phone screen. Phone is mobile touch device after all. Making number pad (sim pin, phone number) area uniform (without borders around "keys") is bad. Hitting buttons and ellipses, closing alarm etc are not as easy as in WP8.1.
One can increase scaling but effect is not enough and other parts and apps become too large. Lumia 950/XL are not so much bigger than 640. Makes me wonder if they test usage with actual users (formal UI testing in addition to insiders) and actual devices at all. Old-timers (age > 35) beware :)
Scrolling is jerky with occasional jumps to warp speed and re-acceleration in the middle of deceleration. WP8.1 is also sometimes jerky but never as much as in W10M.
3rd column in start screen can be removed. Default font is thin and not too easy to read from tiles (even with 2 columns + increased scaling). Alarms live tile shows next/active alarms.

Still no Weather on lock screen. Some other app might work there. Hard reset -> Here Transit is gone for good. Maps has similar function but it is not as usable. I'm using Sygic and Here Drive, haven't tested Maps navigation yet.

Camera is a grief... Live images is very unpredictable, selecting best lighting for pictures taken with "super" (the magic wand) worked for flash intensity and 1 picture (out of dozen or so) for HDR. "Super" images sometimes come out as 1280x720px. I'm not sure if Lumia Camera living images are live in W10 photos or only in phone...

One can live with W10M in daily usage, but because the things above bugged me too much, I chose to revert back to WP8.1 :) I previously ran 820 with preview for more than a month. 640 jumped to preview on second or third day for a couple of weeks.

When 640 is officially updated to W10M, new fixes and new firmware may make it better. Problem is that at that point there is no way back to WP8.1...

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I have it on my 640, and my only complaint is that the messaging app is slow to load. I have an update to .36 pending, but I need 1GB of temp space to do it, so I have to offload a few things to the SD card to install it.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
New 640. Did not transfer any old settings. Installed W Insiders. Tried to download win 10 twice now through Insiders and it stalls at 8% downloading. How long should this take??

Pirate Arr

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I've installed Windows 10 on my Lumia 640 and everything seems to work well except for Internet sharing which sadly did not work for me even when it was brought in Windows 10 so I haven't updated since. Although I'm thinking of now doing it since I got a new phone and I don't need Internet sharing anymore. Windows 10 was really nice on it except for the app errors that i constantly got and applications like Metrotube not working which i wonder if that is still the case.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my Frost Nexus 6P

tomm2000

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Thinking of doing the pre release win 10 upgrade on my 640. Hoping this will cure the loss of sound issue that seem to affect lots of windows phones. Anyone upgraded to cure the same problem and had success?

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
I've installed Windows 10 on my Lumia 640 and everything seems to work well except for Internet sharing which sadly did not work for me even when it was brought in Windows 10 so I haven't updated since. Although I'm thinking of now doing it since I got a new phone and I don't need Internet sharing anymore. Windows 10 was really nice on it except for the app errors that i constantly got and applications like Metrotube not working which i wonder if that is still the case.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my Frost Nexus 6P

What kind of app errors were you getting? I'm on the latest build and I couldn't be happier with it. I can't comment on Metrotube because I don't use it.

brusbrother

Aug 29, 2014
Visit site
Error message on L640 Insider latest build as of 12/26/15.
"device is charging slowly (to speed up charging use the charger and cable that came with your device)"
I am using original charger and even checked with another charger that doesn't give error on stock Lumia 640.
Where can I report this issue to MS?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes