Battery life with .36 update

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
wp_ss_20151218_0002.jpg

Crazy good. Lost 1% overnight off charger. 3 hours of relatively heavy use earlier like running Antutu and Basemark OS II, setting up home screen and apps, and lost only 11%. Very impressive, getting better battery life than with 8.1.

R3mis

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
I have quite a different experience to report, unfortunately. Since 10586.11 the battery has been pretty bad on my Lumia 930 as I have to recharge the phone twice a day.

R3mis

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I am on that build. I have also noticed a performance drop. I tried playing Asphalt 8 today and I just couldn't ... The game laggs so much now it's unplayable. On WP 8.1 the game was so smooth and enjoyable, but now it's just a mess. The system itself also freezes for a split second from time to time, which does not feel good either.

So in conclusion, so far, W10M has made my lovely 930 a laggy phone with awful battery life. It's sad because despite this I really like the new system. I hope it gets better next year with the official (non-insider) release, otherwise I'll just stick with WP 8.1 forever I guess ...

EDIT: I tried restarting the phone a few times and it helped. I can run Asphalt 8 just as smoothly as I did on WP 8.1. As for the battery life, I'll see tomorrow. I hope it gets better.

Last edited:

GamoZ

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a 1520 and the battery died twice on me today, with only moderate use. Not sure what is causing the drain, but I did install the update last night.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Battery life for me is fine. Have you performed a hard reset once you got to .36? Clean install, don't install backup. Also, the only background apps I have going are phone and messaging - just my preference.

bleuless

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
whenever i charge my phone and reach 50%-60% and the screen shut (lockscreen mode) when i unlock it, it show 100% in an instant. i'm using Lumia 1520. i've never exp. this on 8.1, just now in 10. thanks.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I am on that build. I have also noticed a performance drop. I tried playing Asphalt 8 today and I just couldn't ... The game laggs so much now it's unplayable. On WP 8.1 the game was so smooth and enjoyable, but now it's just a mess. The system itself also freezes for a split second from time to time, which does not feel good either.

So in conclusion, so far, W10M has made my lovely 930 a laggy phone with awful battery life. It's sad because despite this I really like the new system. I hope it gets better next year with the official (non-insider) release, otherwise I'll just stick with WP 8.1 forever I guess ...

EDIT: I tried restarting the phone a few times and it helped. I can run Asphalt 8 just as smoothly as I did on WP 8.1. As for the battery life, I'll see tomorrow. I hope it gets better.

Are you running asphalt 8 from an sdcard?

I typically install games on the actual built in storage. Either way mine runs amazing. I can do heavy tasks in continuum and play asphalt with no issues.

R3mis

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Are you running asphalt 8 from an sdcard?

I typically install games on the actual built in storage. Either way mine runs amazing. I can do heavy tasks in continuum and play asphalt with no issues.

Nope, I have it on the built in storage as the 930 does not support SD cards. However, the problem is gone now, it runs smoothly now after some restarts. It was probably some bug.

Unfortunately, the battery life is still absolutely terrible ...

rakesh rathore1

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
hi thr...even in my lumia 1520 the battery draining is worse. it was 70% last night. morn it was completely dead. i am using 10586.36 update. n i jst updated tis 2 days back. any solution???
its my first insider built. and this built sucks.

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
hi thr...even in my lumia 1520 the battery draining is worse. it was 70% last night. morn it was completely dead. i am using 10586.36 update. n i jst updated tis 2 days back. any solution???

I haven't charged my phone since I created this thread (3 days ago) and I'm at 46%. Granted I haven't used it a huge amount, but I use it. I have all background services shut down except phone and messeging, email set to manual, battery saver on etc. I'm getting insanely good battery life. Could be your battery is at the end of it's life, or maybe you need a clean install of 10586.36 without reinstalling a backup. Maybe you just need to optimize your settings, I dunno, but build .36 is awesome with battery.

9sag9

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site

Bhai rakesh... Just turn off all background apps .. Except you use the most like whatsapp... Even display brightness from medium to low... It will improve your battery.. And the impact will be beyong your Expectations.. .. Use battery saver ..allowing 2-3 apps which you use the most... N i can assure u .. Min 2days it will last

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
That's pretty amazing battery life especially considering we're talking about powering a 6" display..
Still not convinced I'm going to put .36 on my 1520 when it arrives later this week, battery life is just OK running .36 on my 640XL, no where near what it was on 8.1 and can't revert back(recovery tool issues and afraid of bricking it before the 1520 arrives).

mewcatchew

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
So, to summarize I've found that with windows 10 mobile (.36) the battery life is initially better IF your not actually using the phone. I would lose only about 1% overnight at first - great standby. Then after about a week it would lose about 4% overnight. Estimated battery life after full charge went from over 5 days at first, to 3 days. The culprit in the loss of battery % is most definitely "Skpe & Messaging", confirmed buy not using phone for 24 hours and looking at battery usage - literally all battery usage was from it. Thing is, I've unlinked my account from Skpe - even went as far as deleting it, but makes no difference. I don't even use Skpe and I bet most users don't either; Microsoft should impliment an option to un-intergrate it from messaging altogether. What has made me go back to 8.1 for now is my 1520 would heat up at the top while playing candy crush and while sucking the battery at a super fast rate. Pretty much all I use my phone for is Candy Crush, texting, some web surfing/videos & ocassional phone calls & right now 8.1 does a better job at that. Windows 10 mobile is better visually and is very close to being better than 8.1, but not quite there yet for me.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
SThe culprit in the loss of battery % is most definitely "Skpe & Messaging", confirmed buy not using phone for 24 hours and looking at battery usage - literally all battery usage was from it. Thing is, I've unlinked my account from Skpe - even went as far as deleting it, but makes no difference. I don't even use Skpe and I bet most users don't either

Found the exact thing when I ran .29 & .36 on my 640XL, Messenger/Skype was showing battery drain around 36% and even after uninstalling Skype it was running around 20-26% drain.. One of a few reasons when I got my 1520 I've kept it stock 8.1, the hanging "resuming" when going to messenger from lock screen messages received(again another messenger issue).

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
That was also my problem, and the main culprit, but I found a workaround because I, too, have no use for the skype integration until I can send and receive pictures through it. Opting out of it doesn't seem to work, the trick is to go through with the integration, then sign out. It'll remove all traces of it and the messaging app doesn't eat my battery alive anymore. Was able to replicate this on three different devices. Usage is now down to 5.7% of total battery consumption, with Groove being the main culprit of battery drain at 55%. Overall though, battery life is excellent on this build.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss