Returned my 2nd 950 and got a new 950XL

binnyandrews

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
On 11th Dec got my first 950 black. Immediately it was self updated to .29 and running smooth. Next day i realized the back over making creepy noise. Upon inspecting it, the Microsoft care advised to replace the phone with new one.
On 12th Dec, have received the new 950.This time it did not get the .29 update and it never and it was too having the same creepy noise. After two days, have noticed a small bubble under the right middle of the display and device self restarted couple of times.Though the bubble was not a bigger one, but seeing the possibility of the bubble expanding in future, rushed to Microsoft Care Center where they suggested to replace with a new one.

Thinking of the build quality of the previous two 950, specially the back cover, which was not up to the mark, and coming from an L1520, I decided to replace it with 950XL.
Requested for a replacement of 950 with 950XL adding up the rest amount. It was granted immediately and there I am with a new 950XL on 19th Dec and it immediately update to .29. It was a nice experience and help extended at both Microsoft store and Care Center. By the way, 950/950XL has a 7 days replacement policy from the date of purchase.

Couple of observation between 950 and 950XL....

1, Both 950 and 950XL are beautiful devices.
1, 950 is with right screen size for majority.
2, 950 black back cover is creepy while white color is not so.
3, 950 build quality is not up to what 950XL is.
4, The .29 update problem is more common in 950 than 950XL
5, 950XL does not make creepy noise - at-least for me. - I know there is a thread on the same.
6, 950XL has heating problem when using high graphics or downloading updates / apps.

So far so good. No creepy noise, no reboots. Battery looks ok to run 12 hours with all the apps running in back ground, though it takes as week for final results.

Coming from L1520, i can say 950XL is promising, except missing the hardware navigation keys - am i the only one?
Look forward for a black leather Mozo back cover soon.

Quezacot

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Are you having those noise when you push the screen hard? I'm thinking to take back mine I'm having issue when pressing the screen near the power button and volume up and down a creaking noise.

binnyandrews

Mar 25, 2014
Visit site
Are you having those noise when you push the screen hard? I'm thinking to take back mine I'm having issue when pressing the screen near the power button and volume up and down a creaking noise.

Noise was not on the screen or when pressing the screen but at the back panel specifically at the bottom area.
Is it a black back panel?

Quezacot

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
Noise was not on the screen or when pressing the screen but at the back panel specifically at the bottom area.
Is it a black back panel?

Yes it is black back panel. Well mine is on the screen when pushing a little harder beside the power and volume buttons. I thought it was the buttons but it isn't, I tried to remove the back cover to see and found out its under the screen itself plus I'm having this issue at the back cover but not as loud as this in the video pls watch it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yspH-NtLGFE Do you think I need to take it back to ms ? I bought it 5 days ago..

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Your phone is making. "creepy" noises like it is going to kill you or something?

Or....

Is it making a "creak/creaking" sound as in harsh cracking (croak) stressful sound?

Lol, just messing with ya. This is a autocorrect issue where "creeking" was corrected to "creaping". I make typos all the time, but I see alot of words and words in phrases not used properly. Some people repeat and type common phrases that they do not understand what they mean or origin... So it sounds confusing when they use the wrong word.

Oh yeah, the original topic... Just as hmmm... "Anal". I mean that I'm a gentle way.

The creaking case is what it is just like the spec of dust in the front facing camera was on the 920 and so on.. I mean has there been a perfect Lumia?! Glad you found one that works, but you will run. "ragged" trying get that perfect phone... Returning and exchanging for this and that only to fine the new one has, that, and something new. I have been there with phones, iPads, laptops, and other shizz... Not worth it. Just setting on one that works and let the little things go that we usually find over analyzing the phone/object when we are bored and trying to justify the device.

I guess I am just tired of paying for things in beta, buggy, and broken. Then I have to run around and waste time, money, time, energy, etc. I have a 640... It works very well... Not the flagship(S) like I used to have, but it works... Waiting for the new era of windows phone... Or until these are 250 OTD.
You just enjoy your phone, no case, no screen protector... Use it, enjoy the heck out of it for all the things it does right and not let anything else take your energy.

Sorry... I woke up "cranky".

Last edited:

GnarlyBone

Dec 14, 2015
Visit site
Had "squeaky" noisy back cover to, but liking the phone to much so did not feel like returning it. Fixed it with tiny drop of clock oil and wiped it almost dry. Put back the cover and its been noise free for 3 weeks.
Perhaps the mozo cover will be an upgrade and noise free by default :)

Silicon spray should work to, its just the plastic fit that's a bit bad.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes it is black back panel. Well mine is on the screen when pushing a little harder beside the power and volume buttons. I thought it was the buttons but it isn't, I tried to remove the back cover to see and found out its under the screen itself plus I'm having this issue at the back cover but not as loud as this in the video pls watch it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yspH-NtLGFE Do you think I need to take it back to ms ? I bought it 5 days ago..

That's a lot of noise. But i think it's because of how people are taking it off. I would either get a new back panel like the mozo one or yah maybe exchange it. But when taking it off use your nail and slide it all around the phone in order to loosen the hinges, this has kept my creakiness from coming about. The actual method where you pull on the back panel is not good because polycarbonate is meant to bend in order to withstand heavy hits and absorb impact. People are literally bending the backpanel when taking it off with force from the opening area.

vampyren

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
My 960 XL dont make any sound, ok maybe just a very little on the top edges but nothing close to that bad. It would not accept that much noise and creaking. Are you sure you did not somehow ruin the cover by removing it fast or something? Can you open the phone and show the cover and phone from inside to compare to a phone that does not sound that bad? there must be a visible difference i would think.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
My 960 XL dont make any sound, ok maybe just a very little on the top edges but nothing close to that bad. It would not accept that much noise and creaking. Are you sure you did not somehow ruin the cover by removing it fast or something? Can you open the phone and show the cover and phone from inside to compare to a phone that does not sound that bad? there must be a visible difference i would think.

I knew I bought an obsolete 950 XL. Haven't had it a month!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb